Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt

Options

Comments

• penniesforme
    penniesforme Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    RE M&S Date Expired Food...

About a year ago we used to do reductions. However, since then the policy changed and staff are not allowed to give reductions to customers. You won't find any food reduced in M&S because it is out of date/damaged.

However at my store we do try and give it to charity. If a charity rings us and asks for food, we give them as much as they want! On several occasions I've sorted this out, especially around Christmas.

With the new PlanA system, we are not going to send any food waste to landfill within 5 years, so it will be used as waste to actually power our stores, creating energy. Interesting concept, I'd like to see them pull it off. You cannot get the food out of the skips where I work because of two reasons:

1.The skips are locked
    2.The bins are emptied weekly not daily and nothing is put in them until the day they are due to be emptied.

Once you suss this out, you could go armed with a screwdriver, but as none of the waste is refridgerated (for up to a week)you might end up getting seriously ill.....

M&S staf get a LOT of reduced food, I buy all my food from the waste shop, its much cheaper than any other supermarket and tastes better!

I do know some secrets about the M&S Food Festivals, but I wouldnt want to deliberately release this because I don't want it traced back to me.

I worked in bakery, and sometimes we have LOADS of food left. staff are not allowed to reduce them, eat them, or anything apart from dumping thenm into the bin. (they would rather throw the food away than to give it to you). i did suggest that they give it to the needy and homeless outside the store, but they went into the bin because of 'policy' reasons. heaven knows what these policies are. if u work there, u will understand how stupid and confusing it actually is.

I didnt stay for long, as i couldnt bear the thought of dumping the food at closing time and walking out of the building to see the hungry homeless chap shivering across the road. (i am not exaggerating).

I hope that M&S's new policy is good. I think what they have been doing is just harming the environment. so much food going to waste.
  • Danzibar
    Danzibar Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Do any of you lot actually ask staff to reduce things for you? just out of interest.
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    Hi danzibar-staff can't just reduce things when they are asked...only when things are getting close to best before dates etc and they cant choose what price top reduce them too either.

keely.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • Danzibar
    Danzibar Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Er...

Yeah we can. To whatever price we want.
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    haughy1 wrote: »
    hi, i work for the co-op and we have just changed the way we do our reductions, we used to mark down on the till itself for reduced items and the multisaves used to automatically come off, but we use pocket pc's now and put a reduced to clear barcode on now, so multisaves no longer come off . it is so funny watching custumers faces now when they realise that multisaves are not coming off and being stuck with 3 items.
    This must not be applying to all stores as I got 2 items (2/3 days ago)on buy 2 for £.... One was reduced and I still got my discount making them a very cheap option. I like the Co-op as this happens often in my local and I will often buy reduced multi save items.
    HTH someone
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Options
    Danzibar wrote: »
    Er...

Yeah we can. To whatever price we want.

From what i've heard from people working at asda-no they cant, unless they are manager.

keely.
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • Sainsburys_Mole
    Options
    Well i work for sainsburys and the reduction is at our discretion. At about 7pm (store closes at 10pm) i reduce everything down in the chilled section(milk,hot & cold desserts, hot & cold pastrys,meat, ready meals etc.) to 20p no matter what it is or how much it is. Ive become very popular doing this haha.
  • Jakejakejake
    Jakejakejake Posts: 6,324 Forumite
    Options
    Well i work for sainsburys and the reduction is at our discretion. At about 7pm (store closes at 10pm) i reduce everything down in the chilled section(milk,hot & cold desserts, hot & cold pastrys,meat, ready meals etc.) to 20p no matter what it is or how much it is. Ive become very popular doing this haha.

Whats your store :p:p:p:rotfl::rotfl:

(dont post it on here really! you'll have the sainsburys police after you!!)
  • shutton54321
    shutton54321 Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I work at aldi just now the reductions are carried out in the morning before the shop opens, everything in the bread bit and chiller is reduced.
    Usually to between a 1/3 and a 1/2 off. The reductions are just done by the staff. Usually only doen once a day sometimes at the end of the day.
    The stuff that will be reduced will be going out of date the next day. So are chucked out on the day that they should be best before.
    There are sometimes reductions on the specials usually if they have been there for a while and trying to get rid of them
    Mostly everything thats damaged is more or less thrown out, had a 42 inch telly that was slightly damaged and was thrown out, it had been dropped and abit bashed but im sure it would have worked!
    Tips

If you havent got a pound coin for trolley ask at the till and they will give you one.

Dont ask for anything to be reduced it just wont be, well maybe items such as tvs etc might get a small discount on them.

DONT CARRY YOUR FOOD YOU TIGHT WADS! GET A TROLLEY OR ASK FOR A BOX!!!! lol the amount of stuff that gets smashed because of people not wanting to get trolleys is unbelivable!

Dont ask me where anything is ive just started :D

And dont waste our time with stupid questions seriously!
    Most people dont know that in a whole day 2-4 people work in the shop with often just 2 people on at times.

BUY A BAG ASWEL! people drop stuff after the tills, a 3p bag for the price they are saving is just stupid not to buy one.

And have a nice day :rolleyes:
  • lottieru
    lottieru Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    i work for Morrisons in the Cafe but the only reductions we have are sandwiches and cakes . first reduced goes on at 4.30pm if we shut at 5.30 and the final reduced goes on half an hour before we shut BUT it's worth asking the staff in a cafe to reduce the sarnis and cakes earlier if there are lots there!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure