How to get meters removed and supplies capped?

Options
I have two flats which I am looking to convert/revert to one house. The upstairs flat has gas and electricity pre-pay meters which are no longer required, so I want the meters removed and the supplies officially capped off. The supplier is British Gas.

I have rung British Gas numerous times and also National Grid and am getting precisely nowhere. Except to raise my blood pressure. My understanding is and confirmed by National Grid is that is that the capping of the gas can only legally be authorised by the gas supplier and the work has to be carried out by their authorised agent. Is that correct? British Gas just refer me back to National Grid or a no longer in use CORGI number.

BTW British Gas seem unaware that CORGI is defunct.

Who do I contact and what is the likely cost? Any advice welcome.
Thanks,

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2012 at 5:10PM
    Options
    For the electric you need to speak to your local network operator, they will deal with everything including contacting the supplier.
    A guide from SE
    http://www.southern-electric.co.uk/help/foryourhome/yourmeter/RequestMeterBeRemoved.aspx

For the gas you need to get your supplier to remove the meter then contact NG / SGN or a registered gas connection provider to disconnect the supply.

http://www.sgn.co.uk/ScotiaGas/uploadedFiles/Gas_Connections/Charges/StandardChargesSouthernGasNetworks2012.pdf
    http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/5B8BC151-26DA-4CAB-8377-6C0D5B741230/54890/AGuideToOurServices.pdf
    http://www.sgn.co.uk/index.aspx?id=4083&rightColHeader=91&rightColContent=15&rightColFooter=237&TierSlicer1_TSMenuTargetID=361&TierSlicer1_TSMenuTargetType=4&TierSlicer1_TSMenuID=6

All should give you quotes for the work. SGN charge £620 - £894 (+VAT) to disconnect.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    capped or removal of supply?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Enceladus
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    For the electric you need to speak to your local network operator, they will deal with everything including contacting the supplier.
    A guide from SE

For the gas you need to get your supplier to remove the meter then contact NG / SGN or a registered gas connection provider to disconnect the supply.

All should give you quotes for the work. SGN charge £620 - £894 (+VAT) to disconnect.
    Ouch!
    Thanks for that info. Matches my understanding.

Seems I underestimated the cost. And in my case it is British Gas.
    Is the SGN charge just for the gas or both?

In the case of the gas the supply pipe is simply a branch from the downstairs supply. (Prior to the meter obviously.) Four feet of pipe to upstairs, if that. And easily removed. So that amount of money would be just ridiculous.

I am in London BTW.
    Thanks,
  • Enceladus
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    capped or removal of supply?
    Ideally just meter removed and supply capped in the case of electricity.
    Capped or removed for the gas.
    There is only one main gas incomer to the building. The incomer is branched just before the downstairs meter. The branched spur goes to the upstairs meter through a wood floor. Maybe 1.5 metres total length. Easily removed I would have thought.

I can't even get British Gas to accept that they have to remove the meter whatever about the cost. They refer me to National Grid who say the order has to come from British Gas and vice-versa.

Thanks,
  • chanz4
    Options
    cheaper to get just the meters removed, and denergised. If you want complete removal it will be £1,000s . Ask bg to remove meters and rde-energise, they wont charge more that £120 for both inc.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Enceladus
    Options
    cheaper to get just the meters removed, and denergised. If you want complete removal it will be £1,000s . Ask bg to remove meters and rde-energise, they wont charge more that £120 for both inc.
    Thanks for that.

Any idea what British Gas phone number to ring to request removal and de-energise?

All departments of British Gas (that I have got through to) have thus far said that removal of the meter has to be arranged through National Grid or some mysterious CORGI organisation. National Grid say that they can do the job however the order to do so must come from British Gas.

My blood boils. A simple matter, an entire afternoon wasted on the phone and no forward progress.

Quite frankly, British Gas should be closed down as a public health measure.

Thanks,
  • steph100
    Options
    British Gas definately need to arrange the removal of the meter. If the properties are residential there is not ususally a cost, its a very simple procedure they complete an electronic request and give you a date for the job. If you want pipework etc removing there will be a charge. When doing the conversion you would need to contact SGn (if they are your transporter) for them to come round and give you a quote, the charges you quoted above of up to £894.00 sounds like the quote to put the new installation in. BG are now responsible for their own meters, but they will only remove the meter and cap the supply they wont touch any pipework. If you are asking them about the new supply at the same time you are dicussing the meter removal this may be why there is confuion. If you want the meters removed and the new installation fitted at the same time, all the work would then be carried out by SGN including the removal of the old meters. If you just want the meters removing for the time being then British Gas are responsible for doing this. But when your ready for the new supply this would be between you and SGN only.
  • chanz4
    Options
    Does get bg to raise a job via rainbow to remove the meter asset
  • Enceladus
    Options
    Does get bg to raise a job via rainbow to remove the meter asset
    I am not sure what you mean? Can you please elaborate?
  • Enceladus
    Options
    steph100 wrote: »
    British Gas definately need to arrange the removal of the meter. If the properties are residential there is not ususally a cost, its a very simple procedure they complete an electronic request and give you a date for the job. If you want pipework etc removing there will be a charge. When doing the conversion you would need to contact SGn (if they are your transporter) for them to come round and give you a quote, the charges you quoted above of up to £894.00 sounds like the quote to put the new installation in. BG are now responsible for their own meters, but they will only remove the meter and cap the supply they wont touch any pipework. If you are asking them about the new supply at the same time you are dicussing the meter removal this may be why there is confuion. If you want the meters removed and the new installation fitted at the same time, all the work would then be carried out by SGN including the removal of the old meters. If you just want the meters removing for the time being then British Gas are responsible for doing this. But when your ready for the new supply this would be between you and SGN only.
    No I have never mentioned a new supply.
    I simply enquired as to how to go about getting the meters removed and the supplies capped. I did not actually mention removing anything other than the meters, although I was considering the gas pipe.

For gas I was eventually given a National Grid number who said the order had to come from British Gas. So back to British Gas who sent me back to National Grid. So back to British Gas, spoke to several people, and this time ended up with a discontinued number for some authorised but nameless CORGI installer. British Gas not in the least bit bothered by the obsolete CORGI designation.

And I have not even followed up the electricity yet. My issue with British Gas is to get the right dept / person on the phone.

Does anybody know the correct phone number?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure