Thames Water overcharging. Refund/credit possible...?

Options
Hi everyone,

We are four people in a four bedroom flat, since November 2010. The flat was originally two flats, but has been renovated into one (ie. the wall knocked down in the middle). Our water bill is £65.87pcm. I thought this is an outrageously high amount.

I've contacted Thames Water to install a water meter. The guy came today and said it wasn't possible, but acknowledged that we're paying too much. I've contacted Thames Water again following this visit - and they said our property survey was originally incorrect and we will now pay £28.50pcm, or thereabouts.

We've been paying more than double what we should have been paying for the entire period of the tenancy. Something along the lines of almost £1000 of being ripped off. They are refusing to refund or give credit. I believe we are well within our rights to be refunded. Am I wrong? Can someone suggest what to do?

Thanks for any assistance!
S.

Comments

• Gothicfairy
    Gothicfairy Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but you are indeed wrong, there was no over charge. You were charged on the RV of the property , any change made without their knowledge is not their fault and there is nothing they can do.
    You applied for a meter and one can not be installed so you are now on assessed charges. Assessed charges can not be applied until the application for a meter has been received and refused.

I am afraid there is nothing you can do but move forward with your new charges.
    There is a race of men that don't fit in; A race that can't stand still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will.

Robert Service
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bet you wish you 'd asked for a meter a long time ago..............
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    They are refusing to refund or give credit. I believe we are well within our rights to be refunded. Am I wrong? Can someone suggest what to do?

S.

Post #2 is correct.

This happens scores of thousands of times. i.e. People are paying the correct amount for charges based on the Rateable Value(RV) of their property and then find that a meter or an assessed charge would be a lot cheaper. Sometimes this has gone on for over 20 years!

With literally millions of properties how would Thames know if metering would be cheaper for a particular property. We get scores of post on here from people wanting their meter to be removed and go back to charges based on RV.
  • But they told me I can't get a meter? They said that I have been paying too much for the entire period of the tenancy.

To me it seems absolutely ridiculous that they accept that I have been paying more than double what I should have been paying, but that's my fault and I cannot get credit or a refund...?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    They told you you can't get a meter after you applied for a meter. It is your fault that you didn't apply for a meter.

As said above some people pay charges based on Rateable Value for over 20 years and then discover they could have paid much less had they had a meter or been on an assessed charge.

You should read the Ofwat website on the justification for this situation as it makes sense.

You need to appreciate how water companies are funded. They are allowed by the Regulator to raise £xxxmillion in charges and thus make £yymillion profit.

So essentially it doesn't matter to the water company if you pay £65.87pcm or £28.50pcm. If you(and thousands of others) pay the lesser sum, then they increase other charges to other customers to compensate and still raise the same £xxxmillion revenue.

However if they backdate all charges and refund you, and those who have 'over-paid'(by your definition) for 20 years. They will have to raise all other charges for present day customers. They obviously cannot go back up to 20 years and attempt to revise the bills those old customers - many of whom will be dead or have moved.

If they were to backdate and refund you(and all others) someone who has just started paying water charges will be picking up the tab for those who should have paid extra years ago.

Anyway the rules are absolutely clear, you apply for a meter and if one cannot be fitted you will have an assessed charge but it will not be backdated.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pity that doesn't apply in Scotland.

2 OAPs paying nearly £500 a year for water and sewage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure