Forum Home» Techie Stuff

Norton Anti Virus Renewal

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Norton Anti Virus Renewal

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
12 replies 1.8K views
Jo4Jo4 Forumite
6.8K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
I have a pc and a laptop. I have paid the laptops Norton Anti Virus renewal subscription and was wondering whether it would be possible to only pay subscription once but use it on both as the pc might only be on line once a month?! I was also wondering how do you get "New" to appear before the subject when you start a new one?

Replies

• LincsLad_3LincsLad_3 Forumite
    611 posts
    ...how do you get "New" to appear before the subject when you start a new one?

The 'new' logo indicates that there are posts in a thread which you have not read (or marked as read). If you start a new thread it will not contain anything new to you until someone replies, so you should have seen a 'new' logo this time around.

Not sure about the licencing rules on Norton AV - it may be that you can only legally install and use it on one machine per subscription.

Have you thought about putting something like AVG on the PC - it's free, and can be updated daily. Many folks here recommend it. Link to AVG download.
  • fazxcfazxc Forumite
    4 posts
    I have NAV running on 2 PCs. Its fine until you come to renew the subscription becasue if you do it online it only updates the PC you are renewing from.

I got round the problem, by asking Norton for my subscription key (after I had renewed) which you can type into the other PC when it alerts you its expired.
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • dusty_3dusty_3 Forumite
    59 posts
    Y use norton av when ther is nod32?
  • rich_jtgrich_jtg Forumite
    316 posts
    There is a way around the subscription of NAV... unfortunately it's a bit of a faff.

I use Norton products on my PC (I don't know why as they sap all the resources) and I have found that if you format your PC and reinstall the software, your subscription resets itself.

But as I said, it is a faff. 8)
  • student100student100 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have NAV running on 2 PCs. Its fine until you coime to renew the subscription becasue if you do it online it only updates the PC you are renewing from.

I got round the problem, by asking Norton for my subscription key (after I had renewed) which you can type into the other PC when it alerts you its expired.

* Ahem * I interrupt this conversation to bring you the following legal mesage:

Quote from the top of every forum page:
    Please don't post any illegal MoneySaving suggestions.

When you buy NAV or an updated subscription, it is usually a licence to use it on one computer only. So using the second subscription key on another PC is technically piracy which is illegal.

Thank you for your attention, you may now continue...
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses! ;) No fighting please! I will have to look into what LincsLad said about getting AVG.
  • Y use norton av when ther is nod32

Sorry Dusty but nod32 appears only to be a trial version for free.
    AVG is good but I think the best free one is Antivir available as a free download with updates from https://www.free-av.com
    Equally important is a good firewall and the best of these is also available as free download from https://www.zonealarm.com
  • fazxcfazxc Forumite
    4 posts
    Student100 wrote :

When you buy NAV or an updated subscription, it is usually a licence to use it on one computer only. So using the second subscription key on another PC is technically piracy which is illegal.

I was under the impression (call me naive) that if you use it for persoanl use it didn't matter if you had it on a couple of PCs at home!
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • raebleraeble Forumite
    911 posts
    Try that line with microsoft and their latest version of products. See how far that gets you. ;D
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ref rich_jtg . I use Norton products on my PC (I don't know why as they sap all the resources) and I have found that if you format your PC and reinstall the software, your subscription resets itself.

I don't understand about the system resources use by NAV . I have checked task manager and it is not using any except when updatiing. Where am I going wrong?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support