car smells?

Options
candygirl
candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
My Ford Ka seems to smell when i get out of it.it's a kind of curry type smell coming from the engine.I have filled all the fluids up and its not overheating.my oh says i'm too heavy on the clutch though.any ideas?:confused::confused:
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D

Comments

• steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes heavy brake and clutch use leaves a kinda curry smell
  • seraphin_2
    seraphin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    I know this sounds odd, but have you checked you havent got any plastic stuck to any part of engine or exhaust. I had this on my focus and it was a plastic bag on the exhaust?
    :j mseswgwa:j
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So if i ease off the clutch(i am a new driver so i probably overuse it) dya think that will solve it?I:confused: or have i damaged it already?
    No plastic bags that i can see.
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yeah it might be your a bit heavy on the clutch....or it might be worn and starting to fail?

its a good idea to learn how to use the clutch carefully and not to ride it in traffic etc , that will ensure it lasts a long time
  • mdb99jh
    mdb99jh Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    it's a kind of curry type smell coming from the engine

could you be ore specific please. Is it like a madras or, say, a vindaloo? Buhna maybe?
  • natanddan1
    natanddan1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    mdb99jh wrote: »
    could you be ore specific please. Is it like a madras or, say, a vindaloo? Buhna maybe?

Its probably Naan of the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    natanddan1 wrote: »
    Its probably Naan of the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was awful - just like curries !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lorraine
    lorraine Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    I think I have this problem to but would never admit it to hubby, been driving 6 months and I don't know how to use the clutch properly, how I passed first time I'll never know
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I get a curry smell in my car an assumed it was something the previous owner had had in there so this thread has been an eye-opener. It's a Volvo V70 Auto.

Perhaps it's the cat?
    Can I help?
  • johnmc
    johnmc Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter recently started driving and I had to educate her that it wasn't essential to rev up to 3,500 RPM before putting it into gear, as she had been instructed by TWO driving instructors.

>>>>>>>>

mdb99jh isn't far wrong actually!

I would describe the smell of overheated brakes / clutch as burning resin or an acrid chemical odor. Check the handbrake is releasing. Put the car on a flat road, release the handbrake and in neutral try gently pushing the car. It shouldn't be difficult.

Burned toast or a light, sharp odour often signals an electrical short and burning insulation. To be safe, try not to drive the vehicle until the problem is diagnosed.

A sweet, steamy odor indicates a coolant leak.

Mildew can be tracked to aircon or leaving the window / sunroof open in the rain.

Rotten eggs or a continuous burning-sulphur smell usually indicates a problem in the catalytic converter or other emission control devices. Do not delay diagnosis and repair as it can get VERY expensive. OR too much Vindaloo the night before, to get us back on track.

Make a visual check of the exhaust for anything that might have got stuck to it such as plastic bags / animal bodies (check around the radiator).

If the smell persists you could always open a restaurant ................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure