Will me working (18 year old) affect my parents?

I've just completed a levels and very happy with results and will be starting my gap year, I've had a few job opportunities but I'm not if me working will affect benefits my famly received, my father is on working tax credit and council tax credit and we're on housing benefit.

Would any income from me count as household income? (i'm guessing it does but would like clarification), what is the threshold for housing benefit? I can work full time and get 14K+ which will come in handy for university next year :) but if this comes at the expense of my family then I'm unsure.

Comments

• skibadee
    skibadee Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Yes your income would be taken into consideration in the household income.
    But your family will lose all benefits related to you next year anyway as you will be in HE.
    I think you should be looking at this from a different angle.....ie., not the '' I'm not going to work if my family lose benefits'' angle.....maybe instead look at it as '' I'll help by contributing towards the household from the wages I earn''

How many of you live at home? if you have younger siblings at home your family may well still be entitled to some help even if you work.
  • Why are you having a gap year?
    I'm not that way reclined

Jewelry? Seriously? Sheldon you are the most shallow, self-centered person I have ever met. Do you really think that another transparently-manipu... OH, IT'S A TIARA! A tiara; I have a tiara! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me! Put it on me!
  • they are all gap years.......
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• Hmm, I suspect all benefits relating to you being a child will cease today anyway, this is from the HMRC website on child benefit:

Child leaves education or training - and is 18 or over

Your payments will normally carry on from the date your child leaves education or training that counts for Child Benefit, until the week that includes the earliest of these dates:
    the last day of February
    31 May
    31 August
    30 November
    But if one of the following happens, your payments will stop straightaway:
    your child starts paid work for 24 hours a week or more
    your child gets certain benefits, such as Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance, or tax credits in their own right
    your child reaches the age of 20
    You will need to report any of these changes to the Child Benefit Office.

In which case, we would need to know more about the family, are they getting CTC, are there other kids etc.
  • benefitbaby
    benefitbaby Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2012 at 12:44AM
    gymrat3 wrote: »
    I've just completed a levels and very happy with results and will be starting my gap year, I've had a few job opportunities but I'm not if me working will affect benefits my famly received, my father is on working tax credit and council tax credit and we're on housing benefit.

Would any income from me count as household income? (i'm guessing it does but would like clarification), what is the threshold for housing benefit? I can work full time and get 14K+ which will come in handy for university next year :) but if this comes at the expense of my family then I'm unsure.

Any benefits they receive for you as a qualifying young person (QYP) will cease today as it is the end of the academic year, this would be child benefit and child tax credit - if claimed.

Housing benefit (HB) and council tax benefit (CTB) have different rules. As you cease to be a QYP you now become a non-dependant. For HB and CTB a non-dependant deduction (NDD) is made and the amount of this deduction is based on your level of income on a sliding scale comensurate to your level of earnings - this is the assumed amount you should conribute to rent and council tax. Your local council will be able to comfirm the 2012 NDD rates.
  • skibadee wrote: »
    Yes your income would be taken into consideration in the household income.
    But your family will lose all benefits related to you next year anyway as you will be in HE.
    I think you should be looking at this from a different angle.....ie., not the '' I'm not going to work if my family lose benefits'' angle.....maybe instead look at it as '' I'll help by contributing towards the household from the wages I earn''

How many of you live at home? if you have younger siblings at home your family may well still be entitled to some help even if you work.

4, younger sister who is in secondary school and parents.

There must be a threshold where my income doesn't affect anything? I don't mind working its just my parents won't be too pleased about losing HB.
  • Why are you having a gap year?

Missed LSE offer by one grade :)
  • gymrat3 wrote: »

There must be a threshold where my income doesn't affect anything? I don't mind working its just my parents won't be too pleased about losing HB.

Non-dependant deductions apply as it is expected that as an adult you should contribute to the rent/CT.

These are the amounts that would be deducted from HB and CTB based on your income or benefits

NON-DEPENDANT DEDUCTIONS - HB and CTB
    aged 18 or over, and infull time paid work
    Gross income
    > NDD(HB)
    > NDD(CTB)
    £394 or more £73.85 £9.90
    £316 - £393.99 £67.25 £8.25
    £283 - £315.99 £59.05 £6.55
    £183 - £315.99 £36.10 £6.55
    £124 - £182.99 £26.25 £3.30
    others £11.15 £3.30
    IS, IJSA, IESA, GPC £0 £0
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    gymrat3 wrote: »

But the money you'll be paying for your keep will more than cover the lost HB.
  • benefitbaby
    benefitbaby Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    Non-dependant deductions apply as it is expected that as an adult you should contribute to the rent/CT.

These are the amounts that would be deducted from HB and CTB based on your income or benefits

NON-DEPENDANT DEDUCTIONS - HB and CTB
    aged 18 or over, and infull time paid work
    Gross income
    > NDD(HB)
    > NDD(CTB)
    £394 or more £73.85 £9.90
    £316 - £393.99 £67.25 £8.25
    £283 - £315.99 £59.05 £6.55
    £183 - £315.99 £36.10 £6.55
    £124 - £182.99 £26.25 £3.30
    others £11.15 £3.30
    IS, IJSA, IESA, GPC £0 £0

Sorry :) my little chart did not save very well!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure