Booking one way flights from Europe

Options
Does anyone know if when booking a one way flight from europe you automatically pay in euros and therefore your booking is much cheaper as the airlines generally charge the same pound to euro?

For example, I have been watching return flights from london to ibiza for weeks but they are super expensive. today i realised that if i book each flight seperately i.e. ougoing with easyjet and then return with ryanair, that ryanair charge the same in euros as they would in pounds (230 euros instead of 230 pounds). which works out cheaper. British airways seem to do the same, charging less for one way flights than for the exact same flight in a return ticket.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Must be a Ryanair thing.

When my daughter lived in Spain the Easyjet flight cost were virtually the same (based on the prevailing exchange rate) in Euro or £ for either direction regardless of whether booked through the UK or ES sites from UK IP address or Spanish,
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Must be a Ryanair thing.

When my daughter lived in Spain the Easyjet flight cost were virtually the same (based on the prevailing exchange rate) in Euro or £ for either direction regardless of whether booked through the UK or ES sites from UK IP address or Spanish,

Yeah it does seem to be a Ryanair thing. I just tried a random flight and if it was booked as part of a return it cost £87, if it was booked one-way it cost €87. Don't know if it's widespread throughout the site and always weighted in favour of abroad or not though.

As to BA doing it, I just tried it on a random date between London and Paris and it was cheaper as part of a return. Though I don't know if that's just standard BA pricing (legacy carriers tend to price their returns better than the equivalent 2 singles) or a £ vs € thing.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2012 at 10:12PM
    Options
    "Booking one way flights from Europe"

Britain is in Europe, unless it's moved, or you read the Daily Wail.

22 miles of water doesn't put you in Asia or Antarctica !!!! :wall:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When talking geograpically have you ever considered that people in the UK say Europe instead of European Mainland because its a lot easier to say? Unless you are a pedant then when the whole conversation is taken into account then the meaning is clear.

BTW Britain is part of the UK. Britain and the UK are part of Europe but only the UK is IN Europe (European Union)
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ryanair costs less if you book the leg starting from the eurozone separately remembering to opt out of Ryanair's penal currency conversion rate. However, most other airlines cost more. In easyJet's case you can get round the increase by putting a return journey starting from Britain into the booking site and removing the outward leg before paying.
  • Simone26
    Options
    Thanks for the useful replies everyone. I'm going to go ahead an book flights with different airlines for each leg of the journey.

Britain is in Europe, unless it's moved, or you read the Daily Wail.

22 miles of water doesn't put you in Asia or Antarctica !!!!

Thanks for this Bob, I think its pretty obvious from the subject matter of my thread that I was talking about the Eurozone and your reply seems to be completely useless in helping with the question.
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2012 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Simone26 wrote: »
    Thanks for the useful replies everyone. I'm going to go ahead an book flights with different airlines for each leg of the journey.

Thanks for this Bob, I think its pretty obvious from the subject matter of my thread that I was talking about the Eurozone and your reply seems to be completely useless in helping with the question.

Do you mean only the Eurozone as in the places they use the Euro? or
    mainland Europe.

I wonder if the one way fares are cheaper on the return from non-eurozone destinations.
  • Simone26
    Options
    I mean the Eurozone as these are the fares you pay for in Euros which is what my question was about.

The fares might also be cheaper from other European destinations that don't have the Euro but I assume these would be charged in different currencies and would depend on exchange rates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure