We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Scrap cashpoint restrictions, RBS and Lloyds TSB told

Options
"MPs have urged RBS and Lloyds to drop restrictions on customers with basic bank accounts using other cash machines ..."

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They really are micro-managing.

There are commercial ATMs out there that are put there to make money. In some cases, the location is too remote for retail banks to bother, but somebody still has to fill it with cash and maintain it. To simply have a blanket decree that ATM use must be free just means the banks has to absorb the cost, which just means other customers will foot the bill.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    If I was in charge it would be all customers with current accounts with a monthly fee are allowed to use any ATMs.
    Customers with basic accounts or current accounts without a monthly fee should only be able to use ATMs fitted to the banks branch.
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I was in charge it would be all customers with current accounts with a monthly fee are allowed to use any ATMs.
    Customers with basic accounts or current accounts without a monthly fee should only be able to use ATMs fitted to the banks branch.

Well thankfully your not in charge!!!

What about the elderly whom only have these accounts, as a basic account is all they need to have there pension and benefits paid into? What about those on benefits or the sick and disabled with these accounts?

I know they don't make any money on these accounts, but after the huge bail outs that we the tax payer have given them they still think they can behave in a dictatorial manner!!!!
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • JIMJFK
    Options

You have thought of course that you would need more employees to serve all your customers who will visit a lot more the branches for cash withdrawals/deposits or just to ask for their balance!
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Natwest Step account, which has this restriction. However it also gives me a visa debit card. So I can't use the cashpoint outside Sainsbury's to get £10 out, but I can purchase my shopping in Sainsbury's, pay by debit card and get £10 cashback. So I don't personally see what the problem is?

Before I read this article, I had assumed there was a computer/system reason for the restriction (for example that the Natwest cashpoints had more realtime access to balance and recent transaction information, so it would only let me have cash if it was within my availability). I didn't realise it was simply a charges/cost issue!
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    Well thankfully your not in charge!!!

What about the elderly whom only have these accounts, as a basic account is all they need to have there pension and benefits paid into? What about those on benefits or the sick and disabled with these accounts?

I know they don't make any money on these accounts, but after the huge bail outs that we the tax payer have given them they still think they can behave in a dictatorial manner!!!!

I never see old people waiting at ATMs they are either in the bank sitting down or at the front of the queue in the post office.
    As for people on benefits if wont bother them as they would most likely have a free taxi ride.

So based on my own statistics I am sticking to my guns.
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think its a rediculous restriciton , especially when they are closing lloyds branches etc

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • steflarne
    steflarne Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I never see old people waiting at ATMs they are either in the bank sitting down or at the front of the queue in the post office.
    As for people on benefits if wont bother them as they would most likely have a free taxi ride.

So based on my own statistics I am sticking to my guns.

Free taxis on benefits? I wouldn't have bothered getting a job I've I'd ever come across that when unemployed! I'd like to see those statistics though, closest I ever got was an offer to refund my train ticket to a job interview, but it required so much paperwork I gave up.

I know it seems like a tired old compliant by now, but you would think institutions that only exist due to heavy public subsidy would be able to make a small gesture like a few more cash machines or cash machines for all to say thanks and sorry. Any cost would surely be worth the positive press. I mean a cash machine is basically just a computer, so the cost amounts to keeping it stocked and leaving a computer on all day. If running billions of pounds of losses every year doesn't cripple them, I don't think a slightly higher electric bill will.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2012 at 7:07PM
    Options
    robpw2 wrote: »
    i think its a rediculous restriciton , especially when they are closing lloyds branches etc
    Any branch in particular? Or was that just a sound bite?

From February 2012:
    Lloyds Banking Group makes branch commitments
    Lloyds Banking Group has today announced that it will commit to keeping the same number of branches in its network for the next three years. It will also pledge not to close a branch if it is the last one in a community.

Ant!nio Horta-Os!rio, Lloyds Banking Group Chief Executive said:!“We want to put the customer at the heart of everything we do and it is why last year we put a moratorium on branch closures. Today we commit to keeping the same number of branches on a net basis, over the next three years. And we also commit not to close a branch if we are the last one in a community.”
    “Branches are at the heart of how we serve customers and are at the centre of our communities. The branch network will continue to play a vital part in our future plans.”
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Of course there is the option of if you are one of the customers affected you can always switch your account to a bank that wants your custom?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure