🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Choice of intelligent switches ?

Options

Comments

• albyota
    albyota Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    Options
    I can see what you are thinking of, not sure if any of the manufacturers would implement the same logic though, These past few cold weeks the Ecodan has been drawing between 1.1kW and 1.8kW throughout the day doing the heating, at midday when doing the DHW, it draws 2.8kW, so only today, bright sunny day, while the PV was outputting 2.5 - 3.0kW was it a match for the heat pump, most days! It would contribute between 40-60% of the DHW consumption.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • mickyduck
    mickyduck Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    ordered the solarimmersion.

Hardly ever in during the day, live on my own but shower using 10.5 Kw shower every day sometimes twice (whether I need it or not LOL). I have a power shower fitted but rarely use it as would have to heat a full tank of water daily just for the showers. Putting this in so I can use my excess PV as I have a 4 Kw system. I know some people on here will say I will use more water and yes I am on a meter but hoping long term that this is a wise decision. Smart meters will hurt me as well but I as am sure I export almost all of my generated power Monday to Friday using more of it has to be an advantage?
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 200... no problems since
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2013 at 4:51PM
    Options
    Yes we too have a power shower which uses vast amounts of water but not on a meter. I did order an solarimmersion at the begining of the month which never arrived so cancelled but now looks like it has been posted!? If it turns up I'll fit it but right now i'm in the dark so to speak... Originally ordered as a punt, cos the ImmerSUN is too expensive, which it certainly is so far... ;)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    How are you getting on with this unit? At £249 it looks worth a punt :) From my own monitoring there is no way I can soak up the excess power even on a cloudy day [bar Dec & Jan]
    Hi Jeepjunkie

Sorry about the delay in replying, but it's a bit difficult to say so far. We've not had a lot of sun since I installed it, but it certainly works well when it does shine. I can't really quantify the savings, as there's no built-in way of measuring the number of kWh sent to the immersion heater.

Also, because I still use the LPG to heat the hot water as well, it's going to be rather difficult to work out the overall savings. Perhaps after a year or so, I'll be better able to say.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Hi Jeepjunkie

Sorry about the delay in replying, but it's a bit difficult to say so far. We've not had a lot of sun since I installed it, but it certainly works well when it does shine. I can't really quantify the savings, as there's no built-in way of measuring the number of kWh sent to the immersion heater.

Also, because I still use the LPG to heat the hot water as well, it's going to be rather difficult to work out the overall savings. Perhaps after a year or so, I'll be better able to say.

Cheers for the reply. Once fitted and tested my attitude was one of fit and forget as it will be in the loft for a quick install. Can't be bothered going down the road of applying for planning permission from the wife... :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SolarImmersion has been delivered :shocked:

Guess what i'm doing tonight as wife and child are out :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SolarImmersion has been delivered :shocked:

Guess what i'm doing tonight as wife and child are out :D

The dirty deed is done...

Installed with no issues but no sun now to test... tomorrow is another day :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The dirty deed is done...

Installed with no issues but no sun now to test... tomorrow is another day :)

Well it appears to work perfectly so now to track useage and compare... Obviously a rough comparison :) As it's in the loft periodic checks only that it still works :D

Off for my free hot shower...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    :cool:
    Well it appears to work perfectly so now to track useage and compare... Obviously a rough comparison :) As it's in the loft periodic checks only that it still works :D

Off for my free hot shower...

!!!!!!! Still Exporting...

On days like today the water is heated to temp well before lunchtime :eek: So much so I had to back off the immersion thermostat as scalding hot! 210lt tank as well with immersion about a foot of the bottom.

Looks like a heater attached too is the only way to use 100% generation which I can't be bothered hooking up.

With the current cost monitor on the incomming supply, the gen meter and the meter on the solarimmersion you get a good picture of what is going on :)

And it's only April!!!

Cheers

PS Sorry for blabbing on... Just feels like xmas
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :cool:

!!!!!!! Still Exporting...

On days like today the water is heated to temp well before lunchtime :eek: So much so I had to back off the immersion thermostat as scalding hot! 210lt tank as well with immersion about a foot of the bottom.

Looks like a heater attached too is the only way to use 100% generation which I can't be bothered hooking up.

With the current cost monitor on the incomming supply, the gen meter and the meter on the solarimmersion you get a good picture of what is going on :)

And it's only April!!!

Cheers

PS Sorry for blabbing on... Just feels like xmas
    Hi ...

Unfortunately, that's where the savings mentioned by the manufacturers & suppliers of these units become inflated ... when the pv system is performing well there's far too much excess to make use of ...

This is exactly the same as our solar thermal which is more temperature sensitive, but that will be quite well regulated by ambient temperature differentials at this time of year.

* Important *
    For safety (scalding risk), do you have a whole house thermostatic mixing valve fitted on the HW circuit, or individual units on each outlet ? ... if not, it would be sensible to not run the immersion thermostat above normal levels ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family