Help please...ebay searches showing up on all other household laptops ets..???

I used to so look forward to Xmas shopping on the net especially Ebay..Unfortunately since I had my new laptop (Emachines E442 series) every item I search on Ebay shows up on all other laptops etc in the house...Telling everyone the 'presents' I am looking at. It shows on all other laptops/pc's as 'recently viewed items' 'your recent searches' and 'inspired by your recent purchases' Really getting me mad now as I cannot see a solution to this...I have tried the option of 'in private browsing' and it still happens...

Can anyone help out there please as I might even go to the expense of a new laptop to see if it makes a difference.... YES it annoys me that much !!!!!:(

Please go easy on me as I am an internet shopper / surfer only and have no technical info in this head of mine ;-))

Thanx for listening

Comments

• bilko1234
    bilko1234 Posts: 50 Forumite
    are all the machines logged in with the same credentials?
    are you using one ebay/amazon etc account ?
    if you are also logged in with the same account for the internet on each machine then using explorer or firefox will show your history etc.
    you need to ensure each machine user has there own log in accounts on ebay etc and the internet account.
  • Thanx for your reply...No none of the machines have to be logged in to see the history...My husband went onto Ebay homepage without logging in and he can see exactly what I have been looking at ???
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You would be better of posting this in the Techie thread.

Do you ever use those other computers to go on ebay?

Must be recognising your router....
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • I do somtimes use my OH laptop but not my kids...and they too see what I have bought,...
    Yeah I just said the same to my Hubby I reckon its the router causing the problem...
    Can I move this to techie thread..??
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    pm a board guide. Soolin's a guide on here.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    click on the Ebay logo to go to the home page, you should now see items that you have searched for and items you have looked at, underneath each section is the option to clear the history
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I think going across to the techie board is the best advice. The only thing I can offer is to really clear the cache and cookies with something like CCleaner, which is free and recommended on the techie board.
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    I think going across to the techie board is the best advice. The only thing I can offer is to really clear the cache and cookies with something like CCleaner, which is free and recommended on the techie board.

if you read what i have written you will see the answer
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Something similar happened to us once...

I logged into my eBay at the inlaws on their laptop, checked a few things and logged out. I thought nothing more of it until FIL mentioned I'd been looking at some widget. Now I had been looking at this widget, but on my laptop at home. Thinking I must still be logged in I double checked but no, I wasn't.

It was all a bit odd and went on for a week or so with FIL joking about him spying on our purchases. With that in mind I made sure to look up latex masks and ball gags one afternoon ;)

Made us laugh anyway and it did resolve itself but I still cant explain it!
  • barmonkey wrote: »
    click on the Ebay logo to go to the home page, you should now see items that you have searched for and items you have looked at, underneath each section is the option to clear the history

It also goes off your IP address, so as well as doing this, turn your router off for a couple of minutes and turn it back on. If you only clear the eBay history it will remove the 'recently viewed' list, but it won't clear the suggestions based on what you've been looking at which can be a pretty big giveaway - getting a new IP address will sort that out. I don't know why eBay introduced these features with no way of opting out, it's a massive pain!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure