Views on Abbey's Super ISA?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
5 replies 1.3K views
JHB_2JHB_2 Forumite
34 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I gather this is a plan whereby you can save from £500 upwards and get 8% as an ISA and you have to put an equal amount into a Guaranteed Growth Plan.

The ISA reverts to a Direct ISA on 1 May 2008, but the other half of the money invested in the Guaranteed Growth Plan gets a guaranteed minimum return of 9% over a 3 year term or 23% over a 5.5 year term. I was told by the branch I called into that the Growth Plan rate is averaging out to approximately 35% at the moment. It seems an attractive proposition to me and is quite tempting, but just wondered if there is anything I've missed and is it as good a deal as it seems?

Replies

• SeanWSeanW Forumite
    322 Posts
    The guaranteed Growth plan alone is an appalling product when compared to its peers, as others are currently offering 110% of growth in the index.

Obviously when compared with the ISA, you are getting a better rate at 8% on the cash in the first year, but depending on FTSE performance that might not be beneficial.

And if it is really averaging at 35% now over 5.5 years, that is 5.6% a year on the growth plan part of the cash. But 35% now could be 0% in 5.5 years, it could also be 1000% who knows.
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, for one thing 9% over a 3 year term amounts to 2.9% per year and 23% over a 5.5 year term amounts to 3.8% per year.
  • Yeah,I've been very tempted by the AbbbeySuper Isa too...thanks for pointing out the downside,so i guess the investment bit even for 3 years(the min),is not great and there are better places to put the money?
    I guess it's the Barclays for me..any thoughts?
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The choice seems to be Barclays or NS&I, depending on whether you think NS&I are likely to keep their rates competitive beyond year 1 (Barclays surely won't).
  • JHB_2JHB_2 Forumite
    34 Posts
    Thanks to SeanW and Masonic. Clearly not such a good deal. I guess 23% or the possibility of higher sounded good, but yes, when considering the years involved, it's not so good. Thanks for that.

Who is currently offering 110%?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals