Sky HD Multiroom Query

Options
I'm currently a Sky HD subscriber using their HD 1Tb box (DRX895). My current contract expires in December, and I'm on a one year 25% discount.
I now have a second TV and wish to go multiroom. I'm after either the Sky+ HD or Sky+HD 1TB box. When I called them they are offering the former free plus £60 install, the latter is £249 + £60 install. It's kind of a no brainer to go with the former but two things annoy me: one, I don't need the install as I have an independent engineer putting in the cables for the new box, so don't need Sky to do anything except send me the box, and, two, I'll be signing up for another 12 month deal. This means that I'll have no leverage to negotiate a further year discount until this time next year, rather than in December.
My question is if I went to cancellations today, some 4 months before my contract ends, would I have any leverage? I assume if you try to cancel early you have to pay for the remaining months. Also, is it worth trying to source the box independently (eBay...)?
Advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• stef73
    stef73 Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dont forget your engineer will also have to connect the 2nd box to the phone line not just to the dish.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    No,you won't have any leverage at all.They'll see that you are already on a discounted package &,tbh,if I was the Sky call handler & someone called up in your situation,you wouldn't get anything for the reason above as you'd come accross as being greedy,even more so as you're doing it within a discounted period already. (sorry to be blunt)
    Yes you might want to save money but that's not Sky's concern.
    The reason they wont send you the box is to ensure that it is installed & booked off,as it could easily be sold on E-Bay & replaced with a lesser model,as these boxes are so expensive.
    Everytime you call up,notes are added to your account to reflect the call,so it'd show "Cust called up looking discount ect"
  • PeterJohnson
    Options
    Yep agree with the noting. I called to see if I could get a discount as paying full amounts at moment, I got offered nothing so I called back and they asked why I was calling again with the same question. They are getting wiser and I read from a sky insider that deals are becoming less available now. As said if you cancel now you will be charged remaining contract and cannot be a new customer for 12 months after.
    According to ABBA apparently it's a rich mans' world . . .:p
  • xcelsius
    xcelsius Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep agree with the noting. I called to see if I could get a discount as paying full amounts at moment, I got offered nothing so I called back and they asked why I was calling again with the same question. They are getting wiser and I read from a sky insider that deals are becoming less available now. As said if you cancel now you will be charged remaining contract and cannot be a new customer for 12 months after.
    spike7451 wrote: »
    No,you won't have any leverage at all.They'll see that you are already on a discounted package &,tbh,if I was the Sky call handler & someone called up in your situation,you wouldn't get anything for the reason above as you'd come accross as being greedy,even more so as you're doing it within a discounted period already. (sorry to be blunt)
    Yes you might want to save money but that's not Sky's concern.
    The reason they wont send you the box is to ensure that it is installed & booked off,as it could easily be sold on E-Bay & replaced with a lesser model,as these boxes are so expensive.
    Everytime you call up,notes are added to your account to reflect the call,so it'd show "Cust called up looking discount ect"

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will need to take the hit until 12 months time. Regarding the sourcing of the Sky HD box itself, Sky did mention I could get this from an independent. Has anyone tried this route? Any supplier they would recommend?
  • xcelsius
    xcelsius Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stef73 wrote: »
    Dont forget your engineer will also have to connect the 2nd box to the phone line not just to the dish.

I have a phone line and cable in place for the second box so his work would consist of plugging it in. I wish I could get £60 for work this onerous! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure