Options

Comments

• noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2012 at 7:50AM
    Options
    mollymoo45 wrote: »
    Hello all, can I pick your brains please?I have been asked by my friend to see if I can help her to claim back nursing home fees for her late partner. My friend (now 86) heard on the radio about a company to help reclaim. Her partner was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and she was his main carer. My friend unfortuantley had to have her leg amputated and was hospitalised and therefore had to place her partner in a nursing home where he stayed for 18 months until his death in October 2006. I emailed our local PCT and are awaiting a reply. This is the first I have heard of reclaiming fees- and at £900.00 per week, it amounts to quite a lot. Does it sound as if we could go ahead and reclaim in your opinion? Many Thanks in advance for any advice or help given.

Molly x

If you are prepared to help your friend then I would say to look into it and decide from there. Nobody on here could (or should) say that you would definitely be successful and it can be a long winded and stressful process with no guarantee of success.

I think both the Alzheimer's Society and Age UK have factsheets on their websites explaining what is involved and that would be a good place to start if this is all new to you. There are also a couple of forums specifically for people who are trying to obtain continuing care funding and they can be valuable sources of support and advice. Plus there is this thread also.

I will post links to the other forums when I find the links.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • mollymoo45_2
    Options
    Thank you, I will look at the Alzheimer's and AgeUK websites tomorrow. The forums would be really helpful too.

Thank so much for your helpful reply.

Molly x
  • noelphobic
    edited 3 October 2012 at 6:52PM
    Options
    mollymoo45 wrote: »
    Thank you, I will look at the Alzheimer's and AgeUK websites tomorrow. The forums would be really helpful too.

Thank so much for your helpful reply.

Molly x

http://continuingcareforum.lefora.com/

http://freenursingcare.findtalk.biz/

these have both been running for quite a while now and have posters with a lot of experience of the process. There may be other forums also.
  • Grinstead
    Options
    Hi
    Looking for help on this problem.
    I have submitted my claim and am awaiting a response.
    In anticpation of being successful I have a problem. I destroyed all the care home invoices a few years ago on the basis that I wouldn't need them again! The care home was run by Southern Cross Healthcare but is now run by Four Seasons Healthcare. The current owners say they don't have copies of the invoices. Southern Cross say they don't either (they have no staff as they are in wind down).
    I paid each invoice by cheque.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone have advice about how to prove the payments I made?
    Many thanks.
  • noelphobic
    Options
    Grinstead wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking for help on this problem.
    I have submitted my claim and am awaiting a response.
    In anticpation of being successful I have a problem. I destroyed all the care home invoices a few years ago on the basis that I wouldn't need them again! The care home was run by Southern Cross Healthcare but is now run by Four Seasons Healthcare. The current owners say they don't have copies of the invoices. Southern Cross say they don't either (they have no staff as they are in wind down).
    I paid each invoice by cheque.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone have advice about how to prove the payments I made?
    Many thanks.

Do you have any details of the cheques or bank statements? You could ask your bank for copies of the cheques but they are likely to need cheque numbers. How long ago did you pay the bills?
  • Grinstead
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply.
    The payments were made during 2007 - 2009.
    I have the relevant bank statements, which will show the cheque numbers.
    So, are banks able to provide copies of the cheques from these details?
    Karl
  • noelphobic
    Options
    Grinstead wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply.
    The payments were made during 2007 - 2009.
    I have the relevant bank statements, which will show the cheque numbers.
    So, are banks able to provide copies of the cheques from these details?
    Karl

yes they should be able to but they will probably charge. If they want to charge you for each individual cheque it would be worth asking for them under the Data Protection Act and there should be a set fee for that.
  • beaujolais-nouveau
    Options
    Look at a Decision Support Tool, look at the domains and see where your relative may score on the level of need - the more Moderate/High/Severe/Priority they have the more likely they are to meet.

The starting point for everyone looking to make a claim for CHC is to complete the Decision Support Tool (DST) as if you yourself were going to make the assessment. The DST I completed on behalf of my mother is still the only DST that has been fully completed.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • beaujolais-nouveau
    Options
    I have been to the Parliamentary and Healthcare Ombudsman and they say that the PCT/SHA have done nothing wrong in the way they have handled my mothers case

The PHSO said that to me, too, and I have countered with a complaint made on the grounds

on the grounds of

* poor investigation by the PHSO
    * failure of due diligence
    * extreme procedural failure
    * further failure of due process
    * failure to uphold and protect my mother's rights under Articles 6, 8 and 14 of the Human Rights Act 1998
    * failure to ensure that national guidelines implemented, instead of flouting, the Coughlan judgement

Two months later, I still have not had a substantive response from the Ombudsman. But I am not letting this go - for me now it isn't just about my mother, it is about the NHS exploiting vulnerable people and violating the National Health Service Act 1946.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • Grinstead
    Options
    Hi Noelphobic
    Contacted my bank and they are going to send me copies of all the cheques, free of charge.
    Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    Karl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport