Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Little motivation and support please???

in Debt free diaries
24 replies 1.4K views
Hi everyone!! I don't normally post on this board normally os....
Well we got married last month and we are on our backsides, with ds1 age 5 and ds2 age nearly 5 months:)
We are going to be in our overdraft by £200 on the 1st of sept and I need to stay focused!!!!!
I've done a meal plan and only bought things needed for us all which came to £63.90 as we still got meat left over in the freezer from makro which should last us.
I have prepayment gas n electric with se with no standing charges and I have put enough on both for a month....just incase.
Luckily for oh my chip mo longer works on our joint account card pmsl so I can't spend.
But my card will show up in the week and I need to stop temptation, the only thing we could need is milk bread etc?
I've done the shop online to stop overspending. It's normally boredom that causes me to spend.
We have opened a savings account with nationwide (save to buy scheme), I owe £300 on the credit card and I don't dare tell oh!!!:eek:
How can I stop my self grabbing the MasterCard but only have it available for emergencies.
I need to stay on track forever really but need to get through till the 28th.
Any advice welcome xxxx :)
Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
:rotfl::j
Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270

Replies

• I would like to add £60 a month is going in our pare account to help towards christmas, and we are going to start paying in £200 a month starting October as my car finance will be paid off which is £180 a month.
    I really don't want to let my family down especially my new husband.
  • Good luck ! Does the £180 cover any bills or is it just food shop.

I think it is doable, just really need to plan.

Have you looked at upping your income , eBay ? Gumtree?

I tend to find I spend my money when I have both my kids, when my oldest daughter goes back to school I plan on finding free things to entertain the youngest. The day flies when it's just me and the baby , we take oldest to school, go straight to baby group by the time we get back it's lunch time and baby is ready for nap, she usually sleeps quite well, have a little snack and drink and it's time to pick up oldest from school.xx
  • Sounds like a plan! We have a group next door to ds1s school literally in the school grounds.
    Got to eBay babies swing and bouncer as he's way too big for them.
    He needed some baby grows so I've won 6 on eBay and 10 vests which should keep him going as he's a chunky monkey, and is desperate for new ones.
    £180 total this month is just for shopping, I make my wn cleaning spray I also bulk out wash powder and use less than recommended as its just not needed.
    I cook from scratch nearly everyday.
    Baby is weaned already and eats what we do blended down, which keeps him fuller for longer and cheaper for us.
    Our bills are £870 a mth but we only have £700 in the bank.
    Tax credits go in weekly at £67 so it should bring us on a + at the end of the month as long as no over spends.
    Fingers crossed???
    I've rang sky today and said I couldn't afford £80 a. Month and wished to lower our package and as a good will gesture we have now got it reduced to £60 for 6 months. :)
  • That's good, I rang up virgin and threatened to go to sky so they gave us a free box upstairs and upgraded our broadband, was never going to leave lol just wanted to see what they would give us.

I eBay a lot of stuff,mind it's a great way to declutter and earn some pennies.

Biggest tip is to not expect the earth for stuff that you may have paid a lot for, I always start at 99p get more interest that way.

We use to feed the baby our own food, it's really heartening to see her eat it, and I find as she's older now she will eat anything, even eating spicy food that husband can't eat.
  • Lol that's true I have done the following which is what we have eaten....
    Skinny tikka masala -I'm on a diet lol
    Roast chicken mash n veg
    Lamb hotpot mash dumplings veg
    Beef casserole mash n dumplings with veg
    Cheese n tom Pasta bake
    Cottage pie.
    At breakfast he has Readybrek
    Pud he has Fromage frais/custard/rice pud blended
    And for super at 7pm he has weetabix and it keeps him asleep till 6am...lucky meeeee.
    I've got a few books to read.....fifty shades trilogy lol as well as the constant cleaning,cooking, washing, playing and general wife/mummy duties.
    :)
  • Tell me about it, it's non stop there's always something to be done plus with christmas coming up I'm needing to be super organised.

Every time I tidy up the baby goes back and causes havoc again.
  • Sounds like you have an achievable plan, so long as you do not use the master card. Why not cut it up?

I went through a phase where we had £200 in cash in a tin box, locked with two padlocks and we each had a key to one of the locks! That way we only could touch the emergency fund by mutual consent! We used to put more in when we could through a slot.
  • edited 28 August 2012 at 7:57AM
    camNolliesMUMMYcamNolliesMUMMY Forumite
    1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 August 2012 at 7:57AM
    I've thought about cutting it up, but I've thought what if one day my car needs major work doing and I haven't got the money? I want to get my savings up before I cut it up :)

Great idea with the money tin.

My hubby has brought home one of those water containers that you get on water machines it's huge! And we have agreed to put loose change in there and take to the bank every three months to put in the savings account.

Today......

food from mr A should arrive....ordered online to stop me going in their going nutts and filling the trolley.

I'm not taking my handbag with me to the park when I take the kids as their is an ice cream van and we have some at home.

Washing is already on set too time saver mode and only put 1 1/2 tbsp of powder in and half a cap of comfort. I've had my box of surf 80 washes for almost 1 year now. by not using as much as they tell me too use as it still gets the clothes clean and that's with a family of four.

I've filled the soap pump in the bathroom with some shampoo I hate, normally I use up bubble bath shower gels etc.

I think that's all I can manage today and I'm not going to spend any money today at all!!!!
  • Did everything on the list but get out the house as mr a has only just dropped the food off (8hr slot was cheaper lol).

But whilst waiting I cleaned out all the kitchen cupboards whilst ds2 was in his activity centre thing.

Hubby came home and I did him some spuds with beans n cheese as well as filling a bottle of squash up for him to take to work.

So today has been a NSD!!!!! :T

Really happy and will treat myself to a nice bubble bath and my book after kids have gone to bed. :j

Starting to relax more now we have everything we should need for the month in th cupboards, if anything else is needed I'm not going to get it, I will send hubby he hates shopping and he's a grab n run type of guy lol
  • Today is a positive day.....even though it's chucking it down lol

I will be opening savings accounts for the kids, I want to make sure they have a little bit of money when they are older to help them on their way.
    My nanna did this for me and religiously put in £1.50+ a week, I could only have it for something important. So when I moved in our own place with hubby 8 years ago it bought everything we needed and our deposit.
    Without it we wouldn't of been able to get sorted.

I came across 20 lira from our jollies last october, so i will see what pennies that is t the post office and put in kids account.

Leftover spag from the other day will be turned into chilli lasagne, I will cheat so the gas cooker isn't being used by putting in a silicone lasagne dish and zapping in the microwave!!!! Hehe

Bedding is getting chucked in the wash and will be hung on airier and shower rail,we do not posses a tumble dryer.

Hoping for a very LSD IF ANYTHING ONLY £3!!!

Need to get round to chucking baby swing on eBay or Facebook selling page.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals