Handelsbanken

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    scgf wrote: »
    IWhat about the dodgy DVD I might order, or the, ahem, toys I might be tempted to buy online. Nanny wouldn't like that at all.

Just re-read what I posted and realised we are talking about a Swedish Nanny. Maybe that makes a difference! :D
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scgf wrote: »
    I must say, the idea of bank staff looking at every transaction I made would have concerned me - a bit like Banking with Nanny. What about the dodgy DVD I might order, or the, ahem, toys I might be tempted to buy online. Nanny wouldn't like that at all. :rotfl:

This is the side of things people ignore when they moan about credit scoring and how the bank manager used to know you and would approve things for you in the old days and how much better it was blah de blah de blah... a lot of snap decisions were made based on appearances and personal prejudices. At least credit scoring systems are somewhat anonymised and impartial in that manner, and if I call my bank and I've been on a spending spree in Ann Summers or subscribed to XXXChunkyHousewives.com or something, it won't affect a loan application or my standing with the bank.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • jinkster
    jinkster Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Handelsbanken, great bank, used to bank with them. Extremely friendly and all decisions made in branch. Have a problem, call the branch not a call centre. Only problem - no access to internet banking via a mobile device due to the ancient security system they have.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IMHO Handelsbanken is like a pubic school

Very Scandinavian........;)
  • Catbells
    Catbells Posts: 859 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the other hand they could be very safe since they are so picky. I would be more interested in what the rewards would be for savings rather than worrying about Sue Summers purchases. But then, maybe I'm new fashioned.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Catbells wrote: »
    On the other hand they could be very safe since they are so picky. I would be more interested in what the rewards would be for savings rather than worrying about Sue Summers purchases. But then, maybe I'm new fashioned.

Generally their rates are poor. The safer a bank are, the less desperate they are to attract money, so their interest rates reflect that lack of desperation.

You don't go to somewhere like Handelsbanken for rates. You go there because you don't like the main banks.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Very Scandinavian........;)

Haha! Didn't spot that!
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    From what I've read here it sounds like Handelsbanken are a good idea if you value customer service and more "old-fashioned" banking. When I say that I mean 1980s and earlier, where the bank manager had a great deal of decision-making power and a lot of things were negotiable rather than black and white.
  • jumpedtheshark
    Options
    We've had our mortgage with them since 2007. Nothing but positive experiences to report. They take decisions locally and seem to empower their banking managers to exercise their own judgment. Obviously, this can work both for and against you. It worked in our favour as they lent to us when we'd just moved to the UK but had significant assets overseas (which they couldn't enforce a default against, but which they could see we had). They trusted us and we've been over-paying ever since. I don't know I'd move my day-to-day banking there because of the reduced opening hours and access, but I have really appreciated having the same banking manager to chat to whenever any issues have arisen over the past 5 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure