New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Orange and T-Mobile owner to launch 4G first amid rebrand rumours

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
26 replies 3.3K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
"The owner of T-Mobile and Orange has been given the go-ahead to launch superfast mobile internet ..."

Replies

• NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Does this mean that Orange and T-Mobile customers will have worse 2G coverage, once the 1800MHz spectrum is changed from 2G to 4G?
  • Awesome, now we have to wait for phones to support it although it is rumoured that the iPhone 5 will support the 1800mhz LTE because thats what the Korean networks use.
  • eljmayeseljmayes Forumite
    473 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    It's a game changer for Everything Everywhere if the UK iPhone does support 4G- that would give them about a years march on the other operators. Could this speed up the Ofcom 4G auction?
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Awesome, now we have to wait for phones to support it although it is rumoured that the iPhone 5 will support the 1800mhz LTE because thats what the Korean networks use.
    Given that I'm on an Orange 12-month SIM-only contract and plan to buy an iPhone 5 on the day of launch, that's the best bit of news I've heard about this. I hope the rumour is true.
  • drbestydrbesty Forumite
    967 posts
    NFH wrote: »
    Does this mean that Orange and T-Mobile customers will have worse 2G coverage, once the 1800MHz spectrum is changed from 2G to 4G?

The 2G coverage won't change, EverythingEverywhere have a large surplus of 2G spectrum at 1800MHz, they're going to use some of this spectrum to deploy 4G.

4G will be able to handle calls and SMS as well as high speed data, the network is already built, it just needs to be switched on.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    When 3G phones were introduced around 2005, you needed a new 3G SIM card in order to use 3G networks. If you put an existing 2G SIM card into a 3G phone, you could only connect to 2G networks. Since then, almost all 2G SIM cards have been replaced with 3G SIM cards. Will the same problem arise with 4G? Will we need new SIM cards?
  • neil40neil40 Forumite
    753 posts
    Glad im with T mobile & not o2 or Voda.They are going to be miles ahead more than they already are.
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K posts
    neil40 wrote: »
    Glad im with T mobile & not o2 or Voda.They are going to be miles ahead more than they already are.
    In terms of spectrum and protocol (the topic in question), are Everything Everywhere really ahead of O2 and Vodafone? Don't forget that only O2 and Vodafone have the additional 900MHz spectrum, which penetrates buildings much more than 1800MHz or 2100MHz does.
  • Does anyone know if the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be able to make use of 4G? I have tried various web searches but it's just confusing me :S
  • buscapebuscape Forumite
    874 posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There is a 4G SIII, but you won't be able to use it on the UK's 4G networks as it uses the wrong bands.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_i747-4803.php
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support