We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

"Yourcalls.net - CPS product imminent"

Options
2»

Comments

• macminiuser
    Options
    BritBrat wrote: »
    Heinz throws in the challenge.

It made me chuckle.

he's such a legend... :T

there's no pleasing some people is there? :D here I am doing all I can from inside* to get a telco to offer a contract-free £5 or less CPS-only calls package and Heinzsy goes and moves the goalposts!

* (of a telecoms company, not a prison, thank you :rolleyes:)

it's very unlikely the [STRIKE]old gits[/STRIKE] management will throw in free* international calls given we're not already getting at least £15 a month from our customers on a 12 month contract for satellite television services, nor do we have a cheeky 3p connection fee for all calls outside the free element! :p

* (read: subsidised)

Another point worth noting is that Yourcalls.net bills in seconds, not minutes.

"Calls are charged by the minute, with calls greater than one minute rounded up to the next minute" as described in the small print for SkyTalk Unlimited:

http://www.sky.com/Assets/PDF/StaticFiles/475310.PDF

[STRIKE]It has to be said, though, that their rates to UK Mobiles absolutely spank Yourcalls.net (although I don't know about anyone else, but I call mobiles out of my inclusive cross-network minutes on my mobile contract or if I have to use the landline I use 18185 as per Heinz's guide)[/STRIKE] <-- not necessarily true now I've done my sums - see my next post under Heinz's post below.

Once the CPS thing is up and running, my next mission WAS to try and get some sort of cashback programme going, but I guess I can try and go for free international calls. One thing at a time though; I haven't even managed my initial goal yet! CPS first, then we'll see what else we can get 'em to do.
    Fasthosts ruined my life
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sorry, that wasn't meant as a goalposts transportation moment. I should've been clearer.

I wasn't suggesting inclusive international calls should be part of the package - I was just flagging up that the Sky Talk Unlimited £5 offering is the package against which it's most likely to be compared.

As you know, I make a point of drawing attention to the drawbacks of the £5.99 (£4.33) Euphony euTalk+18 CPS package (18 month contract) and the £5/free Sky Talk packages (the requirement to continue paying a Sky TV subscription) in paragraphs (i), (iii) and (iv) near the end of my '7-Steps to reduce costs' page.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • macminiuser
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Sorry, that wasn't meant as a goalposts transportation moment. I should've been clearer.

I wasn't suggesting inclusive international calls should be part of the package - I was just flagging up that the Sky Talk Unlimited £5 offering is the package against which it's most likely to be compared.

ahh... I getcha!

you might well have saved me from being laughed out of the office...

although, if Yourcalls.net did a like-for-like tariff (we'll codename it Talksky) - a 3p connection fee and rounded-up-per-minute billing, that might up the margin enough to sustain offering free international calls; though of course in the grand scheme of things, someone, somewhere along the line would be paying for these so-called free international calls!

aah... the 3p connection fee - that's why their mobile rates look so low. it's not 9.75p per minute at all - it's 12.75p for the first minute and 9.75p thereafter. so it's not until the 3rd minute that skytalk is actually cheaper - but then 80% of mobile calls are less than 3 minutes anyway.

30 Second Call to an O2 Mobile Peak Rate:
    Yourcalls.net - 5.58p standard rate / 5p if O2 Mobile is your Golden Destination
    SkyTalk Unlimited - 12.80p (call charges rounded up to nearest 1/10th penny)

60 Second Call to an O2 Mobile Peak Rate:
    Yourcalls.net - 11.17p standard rate / 8.11p if O2 Mobile is your Golden Destination
    SkyTalk Unlimited - 12.80p

180 Second Call to an O2 Mobile Peak Rate:
    Yourcalls.net - 33.51p standard rate / 24.33p if O2 Mobile is your Golden Destination
    SkyTalk Unlimited - 32.30p

I can't be bothered to compare all networks at all times of day; I'm sure it's swings and roundabouts - the point is, there isn't all that much in it unless you make long mobile calls, and if that's the case you'll be using your mobile contract's inclusive minutes or 18185 anyway.
    Fasthosts ruined my life
  • David_Mee
    David_Mee Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am confused - is

https://www.yourcalls.net/Features/AnytimeSaver.aspx

what you are talking about? Is it active or is there something better in the pipeline??
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    David_Mee wrote: »
    Hi,

I am confused - is

https://www.yourcalls.net/Features/AnytimeSaver.aspx

what you are talking about? Is it active or is there something better in the pipeline??

The existing product requires you to move your line rental to them.Not everybodys cup of tea. So their proposing to launch a decent cps calls only package.
  • macminiuser
    macminiuser Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    well... there's good news and there's bad news. the good news is the new sign-up process has been deployed:

https://www.yourcalls.net:443/Features/SignUp.aspx

It looks lovely, and is much more helpful than the old application form... however, one of the directors at the last minute decided they were going to pull the plug on the CPS option - you can see on the first section of the signup page where there is clearly meant to be more than one option - it's all there, ready to go but the guy in charge made the decision to switch it off. (from what I understand, it could be switched on again relatively easily - all the infrastructure is there and has been tested).

So, basically I lose. Sorry everyone, but I give up - I've pushed as hard as I can at this end.

If you're in the market for a no-contract CPS £4.99 a month anytime UK calls package, send an email for the attention of the decision maker, Ben Giddings: customer.services@yourcalls.net telling him you want the Anytime product but without the line rental.

Clearly the powers that be aren't listening to me, but I'm sure with your persuasion, we can get him to turn it back on.
    Fasthosts ruined my life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family