🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Flying solo

Options

Comments

• NewLeaf_2
    NewLeaf_2 Posts: 2,116 Forumite
    Options
    hiya dearheart just a quick check in to say hi x
    Mortgage: £280,752/ £262,515.84
    hmrc:£16760/£5,480.20
    evil credit cards: £41,208/ £37,841
    Car: £18,800/£13,101.18
    Weight 13.9/ 12.6 -1 stone 3
    saving for refurb £2000/£700 1 July 2013
  • HeadAboveWater
    HeadAboveWater Posts: 3,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    *Robin* wrote: »
    ... so will draw a veil over the subsequent couple of busy, wobbly dripping minutes which did not end happily for the unwelcome visitor.. :(

:eek: I'd have done the same :o:D
    missrlr wrote: »
    I have also been known to try the close my eyes I can't see you trick (fails every time, I end up with an Alice in Wonderland type thing going on where they grow in size as I shrink - makes the whole think much more traumatic.

:eek::rotfl:
    *Robin* wrote: »
    Today has begun with a major frustration that left me in tears.. :(

Do wish people would stick to their plans! :mad:

..Feel as if I'm running a free cafe and drop-in hotel here, which is not good. :o

*hug*

:( Not good. Why do some people think it's ok to take advantage of other people's generosity and hospitality? :(
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hello Diary and Dear, Supportive MSE Friends, :hello:

Hello Mara, thanks for popping in. :)
    Mara_uk7 wrote: »
    Hugs Robin, :grouphug:. Life would be so easy if it wasnt for other people sometimes. Hope your day improves .

Indeed! In fact I was upset because someone had said they'd be here, then didn't turn up. Meanwhile I'd made plans which wouldn't work if I was alone with Daft Dogs..
    Couldn't get hold of the chap who should have arrived the night before so called his previous host.. Who said my missing visitor had gone elsewhere to assist with another project.

Suddenly felt crushed - without PC am at the mercy of other people's kindness for getting certain tasks done and the realisation that this is how it will always be from now on was just too much; had to put the 'phone down on DS. Not quite fast enough as it turned out; he heard my first despairing wail..
    Bless him, DS chased up my missing visitor and presumably told him to honour his first commitment, as the fella did turn up just after I posted last.

So I rushed off to try and get to my appointment; made it a little over half an hour late but was very lucky, the receptionist let me in and sorted out a new slot within the hour.

The news was not good. Van is much, much sicker than I'd thought. One of the impending faults could be a killer and the other - the oil leak - signals the failure of a part which was replaced only 3,500 miles ago - am furious about that!
    Would like to return it to the garage where it was fitted, but this dealership expect to part-ex the part - which brings the only cheerful note as they charge just half the price that I had to pay for it last time in the UK.

Even so, the bill will be over £500. _pale_

<sigh> So that's the AI fund well and truly zilched. Reckon I'll be over £1K down at the end of this month. Serves me right. :o
    missrlr wrote:
    Unwelcome visitors sometimes have to be dispatched ..... well done you for doing this, I usually revert to vacuum for such efforts! I have also been known to try the close my eyes I can't see you trick (fails every time, I end up with an Alice in Wonderland type thing going on where they grow in size as I shrink - makes the whole think much more traumatic.

Hello Missrlr, don't think the Alice approach would work too well on a centipede! That is one creepy crawly which I darn't try and usher outside; the bite isn't fatal but usually requires a trip to the emergency clinic for jabs. Wouldn't fancy trying to hoover it up even though it probably couldn't move faster than a Dys*n; it would either survive or make a naaasty mess in the machine..
    Ewww. :(
    grannyx2 wrote:
    Had to laugh at idea of you and CD upside down on the table together

Hello Granny, yes that thought gave me a chuckle, too. :) The reality is that we're probably going to need six helpers to get successful scans; one hanging onto each of CD's legs, her tail and head!
    :think: ..Perhaps practising the manoeuvre isn't such a daft idea?
    NewLeaf wrote:
    hiya dearheart just a quick check in to say hi x

NewLeaf - thank you for dropping in - where have you been? Last we heard you were heading off to walk beneath the Moon; was wondering whether you'd decided to simply keep going... :p

Hope all is well at home; thinking about you a lot, trying to send positive vibes. :smileyhea
    Why do some people think it's ok to take advantage of other people's generosity and hospitality?

Thanks for the hugs, HAW. :) I think it's more that because I don't have a 9 - 5 job, it's assumed time is never particularly important; I'll be available whenever friends/family can fit me into their own undoubtedly busy schedules.
    It's true that most times I can be more flexible, but not always. :o
    Maybe I need to make it clearer when a third party is involved? :cool:

The sun is back today but am struggling to appreciate it through a thumping headache. Still very tired after yesterday's exertions.
    Maybe a siesta will rescue the afternoon? :)
  • missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to hear you a struggling with a headache, do have a snooze. Wish I could too!
    Perhaps a gentle sedative for CD? Just to make it a bit less stress? Does she respond to the old stroke between the eyes trick? Can be worth practicing that ahead of time so you can override the stress factor? Done that with a horse before now. Also useful trick put hand firmly behind ears on neck with dog lying on side to prevent struggle, generally if they can't move the neck they can't get momentum up, but determined ones will! Hope all goes well.

Shame about the car though, not really sure what you can do on that score. At least it is not debt though ... There is a positive .... Perhaps.
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    I'm pleased you managed to get sorted in the end today, it's just a shame it cost you so dear! As missrlr says though, despite the AI fund being depleted, at least it's not more debt. Well done DS for coming to the rescue too!

Hope you feel a little more upbeat now Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Hello Diary and Dear, Wise Friends, :hello:

Well, yesterday was a complete write-off. The only useful things I managed to do were:
    1. Feed Daft Dogs.
    2. Water the strawberry plants and seedling lettuces.
    3. Put a spud in the oven, then eat half for m'dinner.
    4. Set up a standing order.

Looking on the positive side, at least I've woken up without the headache this morning. :)
    Perhaps a gentle sedative for CD? Just to make it a bit less stress? Does she respond to the old stroke between the eyes trick? Can be worth practising that ahead of time so you can override the stress factor? Done that with a horse before now. Also useful trick put hand firmly behind ears on neck with dog lying on side to prevent struggle, generally if they can't move the neck they can't get momentum up, but determined ones will! Hope all goes well.

Missrlr thank you very much for the well wishes, and suggestions re CD. She's not susceptible to hypnotism unfortunately (well certainly not at the vet's which isn't a very relaxed environment). I know the trick of holding down her head and lower front leg to keep her lying on her side; the problem is persuading her to lie on her spine with all four legs in the air.
    Really the best way to do that would be to have a couple of triangular wedge-pillows on the table - might call Vet's nurse and suggest it, although expect to be told to supply my own.. **
    Am not keen on Vet giving CD a pre-med/calmative, as I'd then have to carry her afterwards; 22kg is way beyond my strength, alas.
    Which leaves us with training. We'll try that, initially when I've got a helper here. ;)
    ** Just thought - corner seat cushions from the caravan might do the job.. :think:

In any case, CD and I have a bit longer to practise because this is now going to have to wait until the van has been fixed - it was made very clear at the garage that I should only drive home and then back to them when they tell me the parts have arrived. Was given the distinct impression that had I been a town-dweller or young inexperienced driver, the workshop boss wouldn't have allowed me to take it away. :o
    Now suspect that had the technician at the testing station been aware of the second fault, he would have removed the van's 'permission to circulate' without which it must not be driven at all. :o
    Shame about the car though, not really sure what you can do on that score. At least it is not debt though ... There is a positive .... Perhaps.

Yes, you're right. A year ago this bill would have gone onto a CC, now I can rob a savings pot to pay it - that is a big advance. :p
    Though am wondering whether it would be a good idea to 'borrow' from another fund to pay for an automatic irrigation system and get that set up before the weather here segues into H O T summer.. It really should be done before Daft Dogs and I return homehome (if I want the trees to survive). :think:
    **#

Am also now hanging on here for CD - she's not insured so any treatment required will cost about an eighth of what I'd have to pay in the UK. The way things are going, Roger actually did us a big favour by taking Daft Dogs into that poison field which initiated the first vet visit - CD's blood results showed up the problem far earlier than any symptoms manifested; even now I can only see she's not quite right because am watching her very closely.
    Hope you feel a little more upbeat now Xx

I do, Lucky; thank you. :)
    Wallowing never does any good, does it? ;)

**# A question for all you landlords; how much do you keep put by to cover any expenses at the property/ies you rent out?
  • missrlr
    Options
    Well borrowing from yourself is a vast improvement. Well done.

Ok change in tactics here, how about vet early, sedative v gentle (think horse standing type) from vet, gentle wander back to waiting room when effective (if v gentle then hour or so) then stagger CD back to X-ray room help on to table and bingo ....

Re LL funds, £3k will cover new boiler or new bathroom or new kitchen or (from unhappy experience) redo the house post wrecking from a tenant and provide cover for missed rent. It does depend on your running costs though and state of repair, you know what is likely to go so assume the worst.

Glad you feeling better I am currently with wine on sofa with Doglet
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
  • missrlr
    Options
    Applause the MSE vet bill approach!

Yes to raiding other funds, but be carefully about pay back to yourself time versus expected pay out time from that fund! Cash flow analysis is what I mean!
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Urgh to the car! Thank Gawd for 'pots' though! ;)
    JUNE 2024 GOALS ~ Manifest a buyer for my house so I can move!!
    EF/moving fund total £2153.40! Let's get it to £2500 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET £0/ £500 ~
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have our property in the UK managed. The managers keep 500 pounds in a pot with them to pay for emergency repairs and such. Anything else we discuss and then they take it out of the next wadge of cash from the tenants. We have a bit of a !!!!!! 1900 about in the account, so we can pay two months mortgage if the rent money has to be diverted. So I suppose the answer is 2400pounds?

chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport