🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hole in asbestos garage roof

Options
Hi all. The other day I stupidly put my foot through our asbestos garage roof, thus creating a hole approximately 2 foot x 2 foot. Woops....my cousin who is a roofer patched it up for now with felt and sealant, but it will need a more permanent solution. He is going to fix it for me but is snowed under at the moment. My question is, is it possible for him to replace the broken sheet? I really can't afford to replace the whole roof! It's a box profile style roof. Getting him to come round is almost impossible and I just want an idea if I'm going to have to shell out a fortune or not.

Thanks!

Comments

• keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all. The other day I stupidly put my foot through our asbestos garage roof, thus creating a hole approximately 2 foot x 2 foot. Woops....my cousin who is a roofer patched it up for now with felt and sealant, but it will need a more permanent solution. He is going to fix it for me but is snowed under at the moment. My question is, is it possible for him to replace the broken sheet? I really can't afford to replace the whole roof! It's a box profile style roof. Getting him to come round is almost impossible and I just want an idea if I'm going to have to shell out a fortune or not.

Thanks!

So if unless its a humungous garage then it doesn't need a roofer to do it you can DIY it and it won't cost a fortune: Use these:

Bitumen-Corrugated-Sheet_medium.jpg

and these:

PVC-Corrugated-Fixings_large.jpg
    to fix them down.

When you take the old sheeting (which will be asbestos cement) down do NOT saw it, break it drill it etc and it wil be quite safe. Just double bag it and take it to your freindly local [STRIKE]tip[/STRIKE] recycling centre where they will happily dispose of it for you.

Take no notice whatsoever of the asbestos hysteria brigade who will have you spending hundreds or thousands of pounds to dispose of it "properly".

I repeat as long as you don't saw it drill it break it etc any fibres will remain encapsulated and it is 100% safe to handle.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • nathandelabrum_2
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Only problem is it's a box profile roof not bog standard corrugated. So long as I can get it to fit it doesn't necessarily have to match though, should I be able to fit it regardless of the existing profile? Cheers.
  • keystone
    Options
    I was thinking in terms of you replacing the whole lot tbh. At £15 a sheet and less than £20 for the corrugated screws and a couple of hours of your time it seems a no brainer for a garage. What do you mean by box profile?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    So if unless its a humungous garage then it doesn't need a roofer to do it you can DIY it and it won't cost a fortune: Use these:

Bitumen-Corrugated-Sheet_medium.jpg

and these:

PVC-Corrugated-Fixings_large.jpg
    to fix them down.

When you take the old sheeting (which will be asbestos cement) down do NOT saw it, break it drill it etc and it wil be quite safe. Just double bag it and take it to your freindly local [STRIKE]tip[/STRIKE] recycling centre where they will happily dispose of it for you.

Take no notice whatsoever of the asbestos hysteria brigade who will have you spending hundreds or thousands of pounds to dispose of it "properly".

I repeat as long as you don't saw it drill it break it etc any fibres will remain encapsulated and it is 100% safe to handle.

Cheers
    You do realize the OP has already "put his foot through the roof2 therefore breaking it up already.

I would contact your local LABC explaining the situation ASAP.Also get a licensed asbestos removal company round to look and see how much they will charge for the removal and disposal of the broken sheet.
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Options
    keep the issue in context, yes its asbestos and a health risk, but with proper ppe / safety measures it can be dealt with withour resorting to expensive companies and why contact LABC? Either hire an asbestos skip remove and pay the bill for proper disposal (wearing / using proper ppe (I would also mist spray the sheets with water) or as suggested earlier double bag / wrap and take to local tip (we can take 3 sheets per visit).

You may also find that you can buy a repair sheet if its in good condition or a metal sheet will be the same profile
  • keystone
    Options
    dil1976 wrote: »
    I would contact your local LABC explaining the situation ASAP.Also get a licensed asbestos removal company round to look and see how much they will charge for the removal and disposal of the broken sheet.
    I knew it.
    ian103 wrote: »
    keep the issue in context
    Quite and add perspective too.

Cheers
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    I knew it.

Quite and add perspective too.

Cheers

So HSE have got there guidelines all wrong have they?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/regulations.htm
    If existing asbestos containing materials are in good condition and are not likely to be damaged, they may be left in place; their condition monitored and managed to ensure they are not disturbed
    The requirements for licensed work remain the same: in the majority of cases, work with asbestos needs to be done by a licensed contractor. This work includes most asbestos removal, all work with sprayed asbestos coatings and asbestos lagging and most work with asbestos insulation and asbestos insulating board (AIB).

Could you please inform them so they can change there website accordingly.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Asbestos cement sheets contain roughly 5% asbestos fibres and are considered low risk. It is perfectly within the abilities of a competent person to remove and replace a roof. As an aside to the OP, if your cousin replaces the roof as a proffesional you will have to pay for disposal of the ACM. You need to be careful with misting down as both brown and blue asbestos are hydrophobic. Use PVA to temporarily encapsulate and minimize fibre release and especially around the broken edges. Disposable P3 mask, vinyl/rubber gloves and overalls, welly boots as an added precaution (you can wash them down and you don't get asbestos fibre in the laces).

The only reason you need to contact the council is if you need a ticket to dispose of it at one of their facilities.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 August 2012 at 4:03PM
    Options
    dil1976 wrote: »
    So HSE have got there guidelines all wrong have they?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/regulations.htm

Could you please inform them so they can change there website accordingly.

The roof sheets are asbestos cement, you do not require a licence to remove asbestos cement products (please note, your quotes do not contain 'asbestos cement' - and incase you are thinking it AIB is NOT cement). So HSE do not need to change thier website, you need to read it correctly.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills