Real-life MMD: Should I let flatmate subsidise me?

13»

Comments

• I would suggest talking to him about your reservations and if you decide to go ahead make sure your letting agency/landlord writes up individual contracts for you both stating how much you each will pay
  • bundance
    bundance Posts: 1,114
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've read through this thread and there are loads of different points to consider, I wouldn't have thought of most of them.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely knew 100% that the person you live with is not the type to use the situation as a tool for their own gains.

Having established that you trust this person 100% , then I would weigh up all of the pros and cons regarding the location, the travelling, and the property itself, whether it's a place you could see yourselves living in.
    As the others have said, let him have the biggest or better room and be prepared to do some extra chores if necessary.

Ultimately, it's your decision, and I would definitely listen to your gut instinct on this.
    If you have the most subtlest little doubt then you know it's not the right thing to do.
  • If you are worried about doing extra housework ask your flatmate if that is part of the deal because you do not wish to feel obligated towards him. If you are otherwise comfortable with the new arrangement - and with him, just trust your instincts.
  • One thing you haven't said is whether YOU want to move, as well as your flatmate.

If you do, then you really need to sit down with him/her and agree how you're going to finance your share of the new rent, ie whether this is made up partly of cash, and partly in kind to make up the shortfall.

The rent increase per month doesn't sound excessive but, on the basis of so much per hour, your flatmate wouldn't be asking a lot to have you doing the housework. After all, everyone else who works generally has to do some tidying around and cleaning when they get home, or at the weekend.

Life isn't just collapsing into a comfy chair for the evening and letting the crockery build up in the sink!
  • This happened to me, except I was the one who paid extra. It was with a friend I knew was a reliable and fun housemate, who was up front with me about her budget. I paid extra (although not £200 extra, but this was not in London), and it meant I got first pick on the bedrooms and had the larger room.

In house shares, the rooms are often different prices depending on the size, so I didn't think it was that unusual anyway. We split everything else equally and did our own food shopping. It caused us no issues at all. Just be clear from the outset that everything else will be split equally and perhaps if your situation changes, you can look at the rent split again.
  • If you spend your whole life looking for ulterior motives and worrying about doing more than your friend or partner then I feel very sorry for you.
    I concur with those wise people who say let your-generous-flat mate have first choice of the accomodation.
    As for housework, it really is very good exercise!
    I'm 88 by the way.
  • Bear in mind that if you're on a joint tenancy then you'll be jointly and severally liable for the full rent - so if he does a runner then you'll be lumbered with the lot (and vice versa, of course). If you trust him not to do that then fine, but it's a risk that you should be aware of.

If you do go ahead with it then I agree with what the others have said - make sure he gets the better room and make sure that you're in agreement about what's expected of each of you in terms of housework.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 692
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have no idea how close you and your flatmate are - or how trustworthy your relationship is. But, as with all things that involve money, you should always establish very clearly exactly who is responsible for what - both financially and regarding household chores - before you undertake any agreement with them regarding a move. (And if possible get it in writing too.)

It may be that the extra rent your friend is willing to pay could be considered a fair offset if, for example they have the larger bedroom (especially if it has an en suite), or the room with the best outlook.

Or you could look for somewhere where you can afford to share the rent equally ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure