Want to sell shares with certificate

Options

Comments

• barak
    barak Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sarah_id1 wrote: »
    I am still looking to sell the shares which are as certificate. The cheapest was X-O BUT I dont want to continure holding the account so closing would cost me £60 as mentioned in thier site. Whats the cheapest way to sell it without going through the hassle of opening an account.
    Sarah - Any chance of selling them to somebody else - perhaps another employee who is interested in holding shares in the company?

You can do that simply by agreeing a price and then filling in a Stock Transfer form at no cost at all except for a stamp to post the form and certificate to the company's registrar. :)

Here's a Stock Transfer form from Capita Registrars - you might prefer to download one from your company's registrar. It looks complicated, but with a little help from someone used to dealing in shares it only takes a few minutes.
    http://www.capitaregistrars.co.uk/media/stock-transfer-form.pdf

I always send share certificates by recorded delivery, so would suggest the extra 95p is worthwhile as share certificates are expensive to replace.
    ".....where it is corrupt, purge it....."
  • sarah_id1
    Options
    barak wrote: »
    Sarah - Any chance of selling them to somebody else - perhaps another employee who is interested in holding shares in the company?

You can do that simply by agreeing a price and then filling in a Stock Transfer form at no cost at all except for a stamp to post the form and certificate to the company's registrar. :)

Here's a Stock Transfer form from Capita Registrars - you might prefer to download one from your company's registrar. It looks complicated, but with a little help from someone used to dealing in shares it only takes a few minutes.
    http://www.capitaregistrars.co.uk/media/stock-transfer-form.pdf

I always send share certificates by recorded delivery, so would suggest the extra 95p is worthwhile as share certificates are expensive to replace.

Thanks Barak this is great advice. Does this mean this could to be transfer to a non employee as well? My company share page direct me to http://www.shareview.co.uk for transfer etc. What would that mean?
  • barak
    Options
    Yes, you could sell your shares to anyone.

As I said, you will need some help filling in the Stock Transfer form as you need to tick all the right boxes.

Although you haven't said which company's shares you hold, if you were referred to Shareview, that implies that the company's registrar is Equiniti.

Here is a Stock Transfer form from the Shareview [Equiniti] website.
    http://www.shareview.co.uk/documents/stock_transfer_form_v11.pdf

Pages 1 and 2 are the form itself - the rest are notes. [It's perhaps preferable to print page 2 on the reverse of page1.] Print the rest for reference.

Have a look later and I will post some details of how to fill it in.
  • barak
    Options
    Sarah - I don't know exactly what shares you are holding but the following would apply to most Ordinary shares, for example, Tesco plc Ordinary Shares of 5p.

If you find someone to buy your shares and have agreed a price and been paid[!], here is some guidance how to fill in the Stock Transfer Form in order to transfer your shares without using a broker.

PAGE 1.
    Stock Transfer Form

Consideration Money: LEAVE BLANK

Full name of undertaking: [example TESCO PLC] ENTER FULL NAME OF YOUR COMPANY

Full description of security: [example ORDINARY SHARES OF 5 PENCE] ENTER EXACT DESCRIPTION ON YOUR CERTIFICATE [Note: This is a nominal value having nothing to do with the value of your shares]

Number or amount of shares - [Words] FIFTY-FIVE [Figures] 55 [IGNORE " units of "]

In the name of: YOUR FULL NAME AS ON THE CERTIFICATE AND YOUR ADDRESS AS KNOWN TO THE REGISTRAR.
    [IGNORE "Holding designation..."]

Signature of transferor: 1. YOUR SIGNATURE
    IGNORE "Stamp of selling broker..." BUT ENTER DATE you complete the form.

Full name and full postal addresses...of the person to whom the security is transferred:
    FULL NAME [incl. Title: Mr Mrs Ms etc] AND ADDRESS INCLUDING POSTCODE of person you are selling shares to.

LEAVE BLANK Stamp of buying broker [if any]
    LEAVE BLANK Stamp or name and address of person lodging this form [if other than buying broker/SIZE]s[SIZE=2]

PAGE 2.
    EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE [preferably printed on the back of Page 1.]
    DELETE the 'We' from 'I/We' in the first sentence.
    DELETE the whole of the second sentence [I/We confirm that (1) I/We have been duly authorised by the transferor to sign this certificate and that the facts of the transactions are within (1) my/our knowledge (2).[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]]
    [/FONT]
    Signature YOUR SIGNATURE
    Description: [write] TRANSFEROR
    Date: DATE YOU SIGN THE FORM

Then send the form together with the share certificate to EQUINITI, ASPECT HOUSE, SPENCER ROAD, LANCING, WEST SUSSEX, BN99 6DA, as shown in the Notes.

They will send the person you sell the shares to a certificate for the shares now registered in their name.

I don't think I've left anything out - but if you have any queries or anybody else thinks I have missed something please let me know! :)
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know that I am a complete idiot, but when I buy shares I always have them in certificated form - just feels like I have something tangible and I am in it for the long haul.

Have to admit, it is a bit costly though.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• equitydealer
    Options
    You can sell using Halifax or £3.95, they tend to offer this deal once in a while. Just need to keep an eye out for their next special offer date. Their normal selling cost is £11.95.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/events/
  • sarah_id1
    Options
    Barak your suggestion brilliant. But I am unable to find anyone who is willing to buy my share certificate from me. As I said I am willing to spend 10to 15 pound but Barclays are asking £45 which is too much.
    You can sell using Halifax or £3.95, they tend to offer this deal once in a while. Just need to keep an eye out for their next special offer date. Their normal selling cost is £11.95.

http://www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/events/
    Would I need a account in Halifax? If not then this is exactly I would want for now.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    You need an account with Halifax, I found they just need for you to be registered to vote where as other brokers sometimes need passports, etc
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    all the cheapest dealing options involve opening an account, transferring your certificated shares into the account, selling, and withdrawing the money.

though there are certainly companies who will let you do this without any extra charges for opening/having/closing the account.

opening an account will not necessarily be a big hassle.

AFAIK, the cheapest certificated dealing is with lloyd tsb at £27.50 - http://www.lloydstsb.com/share_dealing/certificates.asp
  • equitydealer
    Options
    Cheapest option is Halifax (I don't work for them btw :) )

Nobody offers anything lower than £3.95 for selling shares as far as I know. Opening an account is easy and you can close if afterwards for free. No surprise costs or fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport