Vauxhall dealer £60+ for a new car key!!

Options

Comments

• pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lilacsilk wrote: »
    Ok i'm in a spot of bother!! My partner managed to snap the end off of my key today. I don't need a knew fob or anything, just the actual key!!

Am i gonna have to take it to Vauxhall and spend the horrific amount that they're charging to get a new key??

Any money saving options would be greatly appreciated!! :)

check ebay for an uncut blank and get your local key shop to cut it, if you have the chip inside the fob and the fob itself then you only need the blank.
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I don't, in fact it sounds cheap. I'd have imagined something north of £100 myself.

LOL thats funny, you do realise that the OP was over 4 years ago:D
  • Green.Lander
    Options
    go for it i was quoted over £120 for a Corsa
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To program a key to a Ford, all you need to do is insert the original key and turn the key round till the red lights come-on on the dash. Do this 3 times in rapid succession and the immobiliser light will start to blink rapidly, at this point you have 10 seconds to press the c/l button on the new key.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    To program a key to a Ford, all you need to do is insert the original key and turn the key round till the red lights come-on on the dash. Do this 3 times in rapid succession and the immobiliser light will start to blink rapidly, at this point you have 10 seconds to press the c/l button on the new key.

Not quite right for a MK3 Mondeo.. Ignition on and off 4 times within 6 seconds then press a button on the remote.

BUT that only programs the remote key for central locking. You need 2 Unique working keys to program the immobiliser.

And a different sequence.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe the op would be happier with a car that he could get in and start with a screwdriver?

The point has already been well made that it's the chip/coding/ handling that costs.

Anyway most registered locksmiths can supply a chipped key provided you have an original, that's were the independant dealers go. Many can also reprograme "ebay" remotes

Only having 1 key in this day and age is simply asking for expence;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hermione54 wrote: »
    £60 is in fact low, especially as you don't have the codes. The highest I heard of was £175. Makes you careful about looking after the keys!

Rover 75 keys are ~£200. Same sort of cost for Mini's / BMW's as well.

I dont think £60 is that bad tbh.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • dazzadub
    dazzadub Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    was quoted £100 for a key for my seat ibiza 2009, and that was at cost, they didnt even supply the second key with car when bought it
  • tightrs
    tightrs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    paid £63 for a new card for my renault megane then £132 for reprogramming , i shopped around for that and could not get it cheaper anywhere.
    £60 is nothing
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    tightrs wrote: »
    paid £63 for a new card for my renault megane then £132 for reprogramming , i shopped around for that and could not get it cheaper anywhere.
    £60 is nothing

As I posted a couple of replys ago..the original post is over 4 years old, inflation may have paid a part in todays costs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure