Vauxhall dealer £60+ for a new car key!!

Options

Comments

• BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Options
    I have got loads (4) of keys now for my 56 plate Astra.

I rang them and told them it was faulty when locking, which it was and a known new model Astra issue.

It works intermitently.

The standard key for day to day use is a flip key, they ordered the wrong one (non flip) so i kept that, then they ordered a flip one and i got my original intermitant flip one back.

Has yours got this intermitant known fault?

A few people on www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk have had the problem.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • jjue3
    Options
    Our local Vauxhall dealership wanted to charge £30 for the security codes, plus another £115 for the key, which we want replacing as the rubber is wearing away, and can't always open or lock the car with it.

I just think £30 for getting the security details for our own car is a lot let alone £115 for the new key.
  • KDC
    KDC Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. My ex hubby's key is acting up. It doesn't always start the car so he has to wait a bit and try again. It's getting worse. He's been quoted almost £200 for new key and reprogramming it etc etc.

Does anybody know a cheaper way of doing this? Would Timpson's be able to help because there's one near to where he lives.

I've been reading the posts and the prices are very high, especially when money's tight :(

Fingers crossed somebody can help.

Thanks
  • albionrovers
    albionrovers Posts: 2,028 Forumite
    Options
    I used to drive a 1977 Triumph TR7. The ignition key also worked on my Mum's Yale-lock on her front door. Them were the days.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    I used to drive a 1977 Triumph TR7. The ignition key also worked on my Mum's Yale-lock on her front door. Them were the days.

The key number is probably on the key too (FS---, FP--- etc.)! Many years ago the key number was even marked on the ignition switch. How times have changed.

Honda charged my F I L £163 for a replacement key which neither operated the central locking nor started the car when he sensibly tried it before driving off from the dealership - they had to re-programme the thing properly again!
  • kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £160 for a merc key
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2011 at 10:28AM
    Options
    jjue3 wrote: »
    Our local Vauxhall dealership wanted to charge £30 for the security codes, plus another £115 for the key, which we want replacing as the rubber is wearing away, and can't always open or lock the car with it.

I just think £30 for getting the security details for our own car is a lot let alone £115 for the new key.
    KDC wrote: »
    Hi. My ex hubby's key is acting up. It doesn't always start the car so he has to wait a bit and try again. It's getting worse. He's been quoted almost £200 for new key and reprogramming it etc etc.

Does anybody know a cheaper way of doing this? Would Timpson's be able to help because there's one near to where he lives.

I've been reading the posts and the prices are very high, especially when money's tight :(

Fingers crossed somebody can help.

Thanks

If you have the key you can get them refurbished by companies on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-VECTRA-REMOTE-ALARM-KEY-FOB-REPAIR-SERVICE-/260789666294?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb84681f6

Or if it is just a case of the rubber wearing out, you can buy this part and change it yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Vectra-3-button-Remote-Key-Fob-case-some-omega-/320693092204?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaacc3f6c

I recently bought the part with the rubber button cover and changed my own. The fit wasn't great at first, but after a week or two the cover has settled in and looks exactly the same as the original key.

There are loads of these companies on Ebay, these are just the first two I found after a quick search.

To the OP, here is an ebay link to vauxhall key programmers too, again first one I found there will no doubt be lots more.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-KEY-PROGRAMMING-MOBILE-SERVICE-/160496850965?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255e5b9815
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    cordial wrote: »
    I find this outrageous.

I don't, in fact it sounds cheap. I'd have imagined something north of £100 myself.
  • davidjwest
    davidjwest Posts: 756 Forumite
    Options
    It cost my partner £200 for a replacement for her Renault Grand Scenic, another reason not to buy French carp.
    :A
  • lilacsilk
    Options
    Ok i'm in a spot of bother!! My partner managed to snap the end off of my key today. I don't need a knew fob or anything, just the actual key!!

Am i gonna have to take it to Vauxhall and spend the horrific amount that they're charging to get a new key??

Any money saving options would be greatly appreciated!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure