Problems getting MAC code

Options
tried twice to get MAC code from Onetel without success. The last attempt was last Monday. They agreed to send mac code within three days. Nothing has materialised. What's the best next step? Write and send it recorded delivery?

Anything in particular to say?

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See the Sticky at the top of this board and report them to Ofcom.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    See the Sticky at the top of this board and report them to Ofcom.

I had looked at the sticky, but didn't see anything particularly relevant regarding timescale. Will report to Ofcom.
  • Ivan_Konstantinov
    Options
    nothing to do with Onetel, but BT gave me my MAC code strait away over the phone
  • geminiemerald
    Options
    I got my MAC code from BT over the phone too are they going to send it in a letter of confirmation or something? Any way I am sure I heard that they HAVE to legally give you your MAC code within 5 days cant remember where I saw that??
  • xcrider
    xcrider Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    received my mac code from pipex within 24 hours, no problems at all so far.
  • LisaT186
    LisaT186 Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Took two weeks to get my MAC code from Orange, turns out they were requesting it on a phone number from my previous address 4 years ago not the current one they provide the service on! Timescales they are supposed to respond in are 2-5 working days.
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    My father finally got his MAC code from onetel. They say they had "texted" it. Since his phone doesnt accept texts I can't imagine what they really did. Anyway, got it in the end. Yup, 2 weeks.

I got MAC codes from Nildram in a matter of minutes. And it took about 2 days to get from freedom2surf.
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got my MAC code from BT over the phone too are they going to send it in a letter of confirmation or something? Any way I am sure I heard that they HAVE to legally give you your MAC code within 5 days cant remember where I saw that??

I think I have seen the same thing on Sky's website
  • TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options

By law they have to give you the MAC code within 5 days, this came into force on 14th February 2007.
    On 14 February, regulations were introduced to make it compulsory for ISPs to provide migration authorisation codes (MACs) to customers that requested them within five days. MACs are required for broadband services to be transferred seamlessly from one ISP to another.

You can read it here:
    http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/112911.html
  • tigergold
    tigergold Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    requested my mac code 16th Feb, received it via email 10th april (v21)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure