first:utility - any good?

brummiebabe
brummiebabe Posts: 1,894 Forumite
Hi all

Am in the process of researching a cheaper tariff for when my current deal ends at the end of September. first:utility are coming out as the cheapest........but I've never heard of them. Anyone know if they're any good?
20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    They came out cheapest for me too - £63 cheaper than the next best price (my current provider). I decided against them, though, as they bill you for exactly the amount you use - so my DD in the winter months would be considerably more than the summer months. I prefer to know how much is coming out of my account, and to overpay in summer so that I don't have to worry about affording my bills when it is cold.
  • brummiebabe
    brummiebabe Posts: 1,894 Forumite
    Thanks for that Kingfisherblue....I like to pay the same every month too - perhaps I'll avoid them then...thanks for the heads-up!
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    If you do a search for them on this board you will find threads about their service, which seems to leave a lot to be desired.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • I switched to them about 18 months ago and haven't had any problems. Prefer paying for the actual amount I use but can understand why people would rather have a fixed DD.
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    They come out cheapest as you get paybacks after certain periods of time if you stay with them. If you never need to have any sort of dealings with them or ever switch away or ever have a technical fault you may be ok. I found them cheap but in the end when I left them themthey had overcharged me aout 150.00.....I never got that refunded.
  • green1960
    green1960 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I have just changed to First Utility, I was under the impression I would be paying less in the summer and more in the winter, but then I got an email telling me what my fixed direct debit would be. I was well pleased. On the my account section, it also gives me the option to change to a variable direct debit if wanted. So far so good. When do you get paybacks, I have not seen anything about this anywhere.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    green1960 wrote: »
    I have just changed to First Utility, I was under the impression I would be paying less in the summer and more in the winter, but then I got an email telling me what my fixed direct debit would be. I was well pleased. On the my account section, it also gives me the option to change to a variable direct debit if wanted. So far so good. When do you get paybacks, I have not seen anything about this anywhere.

Best to monitor this closely, you don't want any nasty surprises next spring.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • green1960
    green1960 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I am not going to change to a variable direct debit but it gives me the option. I have not received my bill yet, but they have sent me an estimate of what my bill is going to be, in the region of £77. I have paid £125 fixed direct debit, so should be in credit by nearly £50.
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FU are claiming "First Utility brings you the UK’s cheapest* fixed dual fuel tariff, fixed until December 2013 for your peace of mind."

*Terms & Conditions

"First Utility launch cheapest dual fuel energy deal"
    (Salisbury, July 2012) Source:http://www.myfinances.co.uk/cut-your-bills/2012/07/31/first-utility-launch-cheapest-dual-fuel-energy-deal
    First Utility's new iSave Fixed Price v3 costs an average of £1,040 per annum based on a medium user. This figure is calculated on an average consumption of 3,300 kWh of electricity and 16,500 kWh of gas.2"

Is this still the case ?

I am with FU and I have to say I have had my fair share of problems with them re DD setup and problems they have had with their systems. unfortunately if I dont stay with them for 12 months (Dec12) then I will loose my £180 duel fuel bonus so I am hangin in there.

I know my current traffic has just gone up and is expensive but I am wondering if changing to the new fixed one would be better (not sure if that means I will still get my duel fuel bonus) or there is an even better option.
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • They only have two payment dates. One for fixed ammounts and another for variable. I changed to variable as the fixed one was too soon and meant paying out for my old supplier and these guys in the same month.

I have not had any problems other than that from when I switched. To manage the variable monthly rate I have been putting the fixed amount in another account and just moving over the money they want on a monthly basis leaving the spare to build up for the winter months while getting a bit of interest which is a bonus.
    Total Debt Feb 2012 [STRIKE]£12,153[/STRIKE] 10674 16.5% Paid

Halifax Credit Card £4448.6. Loan 1 £3000. Loan 2 £2696.13.

Aiming to be debt free by 31/12/2013.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport