Default on T-Mobile contract

Options
satchef1
satchef1 Posts: 115 Forumite
Hi,

I just checked my CreditExpert and CallCredit reports. They have a default on my T-Mobile account dated 10/12/2009. I cancelled the account in December 2008 and have just found my final bill which should be convincing proof of this. They have made a mistake. Where do I stand? Can I get them to fix my credit rating? Or is the damage done now? I was hoping to apply for a mortgage either late this year or early next year - the deposit is in place and I'm just saving funds for furniture and other moving expenses now. This single, mistaken default has unfortunately ruined my credit score (507 and 1 out of 5 stars with CallCredit, not got my Experian score yet), putting this plan in jeapordy.

How should I proceed?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2012 at 4:54PM
    Options
    satchef1 wrote: »
    I just checked my CreditExpert and CallCredit reports. They have a default on my T-Mobile account dated 10/12/2009. I cancelled the account in December 2008 and have just found my final bill which should be convincing proof of this.
    Does it show £0 due?
    They have made a mistake. Where do I stand? Can I get them to fix my credit rating?
    You can get the file(s) fixed (and the rating as a result). T-mobile can and must correct the erroneous records. If they refuse contact the CRA(s):
    Some of my account information is wrong. How do I get it changed?
  • satchef1
    satchef1 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    It shows £48 due. Looking at the historic figures, the first 'late payment' is equivalent to my line rental. The 'amount due' went up and up, and then crashed down to £48.

Been trying to talk to T-Mobile all afternoon, but the phone staff are all useless call-centre monkeys. The first sign that this isn't a straight-forward request and the line goes dead. Good to see it's the same network that I left almost 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reassurance though. I've sent a letter given they don't seem to want to talk on the phone.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It shows £48 due. Looking at the historic figures, the first 'late payment' is equivalent to my line rental. The 'amount due' went up and up, and then crashed down to £48.
    I meant the final bill. It has to show £0 due to be a proof of a successful cancellation.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    This single, mistaken default has unfortunately ruined my credit score (507 and 1 out of 5 stars with CallCredit, not got my Experian score yet), putting this plan in jeapordy.

Your credit "score" means nothing outside the credit card firm, it's their view of your credit status and NOT what any other company may give you.

Every lendor will ask for your credit history and score you internally on that history, they don't simply get a number from the likes of Experian and use that.

Any score from Experian, Call Credit or anyone else is a good place to to look if you have problems but is not in itself something to worry about greatly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure