Ryanair Doors

Ryanair wants to speed up boarding by widening the doors to allow passengers to board two at a time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/30/ryanair-width-plane-doors-boarding?newsfeed=true

Wouldn't this be of little use if the aisle remained narrow?

Comments

• callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, that's an absolutely stupid idea. Every flight I've ever been on has been held up due to the aisle being blocked - not the speed with which you walk through the doors.

The only way I can see them speeding up boarding time is by telling people where to sit. No assigned seating, but as you get on the plane you must go to the middle of the plane and work your way back towards the doors.

I have no idea why they don't do this already - I would have thought it would save an enormous amount of time.
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    It's nothing more that cheap publicity.

They buy their airframes from manufacturers using a standard design, the money they's have to spend changing that design would need to be passed onto customers in ticket prices which would soon put paid to their "cheap & nasty" label.

How often have you seen something in the media about yet another bonkers money-making idea from Ryanair only for it never to materialise? (charging a pound to use the loo? standing room only?) This way they can spend more of their advertising budget on misleading offers.

Don't fall for it.
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • callum9999

They buy their airframes from manufacturers using a standard design, the money they's have to spend changing that design would need to be passed onto customers in ticket prices which would soon put paid to their "cheap & nasty" label.

How often have you seen something in the media about yet another bonkers money-making idea from Ryanair only for it never to materialise? (charging a pound to use the loo? standing room only?) This way they can spend more of their advertising budget on misleading offers.

Don't fall for it.

If they are designing a new aircraft then they'd have to pay for it to be designed anyway. Plus, I'd imagine an unknown break-through aircraft manufacturer would be more than happy to shoulder the cost if it meant they would build the entire Ryanair fleet!

It could just be another publicity stunt though I agree.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If Ryanair want a bespoke plane, then what they really need to lower the cabin floor into the hold to make space for double-height overhead lockers. They need more space for cabin baggage and less space for hold baggage.
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As Hezzawithkids said - it's just PR rubbish

The airframe is a fundamental modular part, the cost would be horrendous - not to mention the the odd passenger they lose because the air bridge no longer fits. They don't lose time getting the people on, they lose it when everyone is busy packing and unpacking whilst blocking the aisles.
    They could always just buy C130s and load everyone through the rear ramp. :)
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think the correct story is that Ryanair want to instal revolving doors on all their planes so people can embark and dissembark at the same time.....to speed up the turnaround time of the flights
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm surprised the Guardian published such nonsense... the Daily Mail I could understand. What tosh!
  • lijaloo
    lijaloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They have probably put prices up somewhere. They did exactly that a few years back when there was all the talk of paying to use the toilet. I think it was when a charge for priority boarding was introduced when previously if you checked in online (which was free) you boarded the plane first. Those were the days!!
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2012 at 9:50PM

Don't fall for it.

The turnaround time is not limited by pax walking through the door. Picking where to park their a*se maybe, but walking through the door no.
  • callum9999
    NFH wrote: »
    If Ryanair want a bespoke plane, then what they really need to lower the cabin floor into the hold to make space for double-height overhead lockers. They need more space for cabin baggage and less space for hold baggage.

No they really don't... While the consumer may appreciate extra space, I don't understand why Ryanair would possibly provide it! Increased fuel cost for no extra charges in return? Crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure