Insurance underwriting question

Options
Has anyone experience of claiming with a policy underwritten by RSA?

I've taken out John Lew*is insurance (underwritten by Axa) but have now been informed that they've moved underwriters to RSA and at renewal my policy will move to them.

Not sure whether to move now (in case there is a problem this year) or take the chance and leave it until renewal - or stick with them. TIA
Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
2016 Sell: £125/£250
£1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
Debt free & determined to stay that way!

Comments

• Hillbilly1
    Hillbilly1 Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It really is the product provider who dictates how the policy os worded and run, the underwriter just provides the back up.

For RSA underwritten pet products I have had to fight with Tesco for clients (and have won the majority) but not had any issues with M&S and only 1 with More Than (it seemed like a new keen member of staff who didnt understand anything). And I used to submit 50+ claims a week.

As RSA seem to be dominating (M&S, Argos, MT, Tesco, Homebase etc) I think trying to avoid them would ony be achieved by going to Pet Plan as I presume they are too big to be bought out.

Hope that helps!
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Thanks hillbilly - I'd really rather avoid having to move if I don't have to (have already had to do it once as selected the wrong policy limit on the previous policy & was told I couldn't change it until renewal which was really frustrating).

If RSA underwrite a lot of pet policies, hopefully it's unlikely they'll withdraw from the market.
  • walwin
    walwin Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I originally insured my girls with M&S when they were underwritten by AXA. M&S then changed to RSA without prior notice and the policy wasn't as comprehensive, the excess was higher and also I didn't like the clause that said I had to check with them first if I was going to see an emergency (out of hours) vet. If I need an emergency vet there is no way I'm going to ring and ask permission from someone in a call centre :mad:
    If I remember correctly I would also have had to pay a percentage of any claim as both girls were over 7.

I then went direct with AXA and have been with them since. I've thankfully never had to claim so can't comment on that but I'm more comfortable being insured directly with the underwriter as at least it means that they're not going to chop and change as they feel like it. Also, AXA aren't ageist :D
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    walwin wrote: »
    I originally insured my girls with M&S when they were underwritten by AXA. M&S then changed to RSA without prior notice and the policy wasn't as comprehensive, the excess was higher and also I didn't like the clause that said I had to check with them first if I was going to see an emergency (out of hours) vet. If I need an emergency vet there is no way I'm going to ring and ask permission from someone in a call centre :mad:
    If I remember correctly I would also have had to pay a percentage of any claim as both girls were over 7.

I then went direct with AXA and have been with them since. I've thankfully never had to claim so can't comment on that but I'm more comfortable being insured directly with the underwriter as at least it means that they're not going to chop and change as they feel like it. Also, AXA aren't ageist :D

I tried to write something along the same lines earlier but it didn't sound right so thank you for putting what I was thinking into words . I was also with M&S when they were with AXA, there were an awful lot of us jumped ship when they changed underwriters. The call you would have had to make if your animal fell ill out of hours would have been so I'm told to a vet nurse, there is no way on this earth I would be taking time to make a call whilst my dog/cat or whatever could potentially be dying. I also think that it would have been a bit of a get out card for them, no phone call no payout. Like you I'm with AXA and I'm quite happy with them ( so far ), the only problem with them is the time they take to pay out.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Thanks both - the reason I went with Axa through JL was that the pay-out times are much better (I know someone that's been waiting nearly 4 months with Axa direct and it's a several thousand £ claim - I couldn't wait that long!).

The other reason for Axa was that there's no % payable after the pets get to a certain age - didn't realise that RSA had that and will have a trawl through the new JL T&Cs to check.

However, it may be a move (again!) - I selected the wrong policy level (my own fault) with PetPlan and when I tried to increase it, they said I couldn't do it until renewal - which is why I moved.

I may now wait a couple of months and move back to them again .... what a pain in the butt!
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with AXA and sent a claim form off 2nd class on 11 July and received the cheque yesterday - which I'm happy with!

It does say on their paperwork....they "aim!" to process your claim within 5 working days of receipt of claim form and full supporting documentation - this means you will normally hear from us within two weeks from the date you post your claim....

Still think pet insurance is a bloody minefield though!! :eek: Was trying to explain the ins & outs to someone looking to take a policy earlier and even though I understand it all myself very hard to explain it well and all the pitfalls etc to someone! :o
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    mmmm 1st thoughts:

Policy cover limits are different - currently £10k which becomes £12k
    Excess limits are different - currently £70 which would be £140 for the £12k
    Excess or 20% (greatest amount) once the pet is 9 ..... no limit on current policy

mmmmmmm - might have to take the chance and switch directly to Axa .....
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2012 at 6:46PM
    Options
    Also a side thought........I think maybe even more of the Pet Insurance companies than people think are connected as I have heard people referring to BDML connect to do with other Pet Insurers but that's who I got the cheque from for AXA Direct!

hhhmmmm will have a google!! ;)
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • Hillbilly1
    Hillbilly1 Posts: 620 Forumite
    Options
    BDML are underwriters for alot of companies. However as RSA have recently bought over 2 accounts of theirs it would seem their position in the market is getting smaller.

As to Walwins comment - I have never seen a claim refused for this. However it is there to cover serial offenders who turn up OOH with chronic conditions that could be managed at home and see the vet during normal hours. In a genuine emergency they are not expecting you to call the advice line and then the vet. I have seen 1 claim from another company refused as the owner turned up OOH with 2 day old bite wounds. They paid for all the treatment but wouldnt cover the extra cost for the OOH consult - which seems fair.
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    BDML are underwriters for alot of companies.

Just a minor correction: administrators, not underwriters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure