PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mushroom growing kits?

Options
Has anyone ever grown their own mushrooms at home like from a kit?

Was it easy? Did it work out cheaper than buying mushrooms? What type of kit/supplier would you recommend..?

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spores for button mushrooms, £2 in poundstretcher
    in addition to this you need a large plastic container, straw, compost and manure or nitrogen - rot the straw then grow the mushrooms!
    s-h-i-t-ake mushroom plugs from https://www.dobies.co.uk cost more and you need fresh logs to drill holes in to put the plugs in, put them in a bin nag for 6 months then hey presto mushrooms growing on a log:)
    I am doing both types, they are just at the beginning of this process.
    https://www.hawkin.co.uk do the logs ready made up but its cheaper to do your own, and either way this has got to be cheaper than buying fresh mushrooms!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Sarah has :D :

Taken from the Garden produce thread

Deleted - because you beat me to it Sarahsaver :D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Sarahsaver
    Options
    ha ha! great minds think alike!
    I have now added raspberry bush and blackcurrant bush to my small but well stocked garden.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    :-/ is there any way that doesn't involve.....well.......rotting manure (or logs) being as the only place I have to put them is my bedroom?
  • Sarahsaver
    Options
    you dont need the poop - either that OR nitrogen based fertiliser which can be had from poundland. Why is your bedroom the only place, if thats not too personal a question!
    They have to have something to grow off, and as you notice from the wilds, mushrooms grow on rotting things, or living things, hence the decaying straw or the logs (from logs cut no longer than 3 weeks before and not from evergreen trees). Your bedroom may be too warm, do you have a shed, cellar or under sink cupboard? A log would grow in a window box!
    The only other thing is to get them completely free and pick wild ones. I have seen plenty around here at the right time of the year, and very few people pick them either because they dont know they are there or dont know about mushrooms.
    Happy spawning!
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • crana999
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    you dont need the poop - either that OR nitrogen based fertiliser which can be had from poundland. Why is your bedroom the only place, if thats not too personal a question!
    They have to have something to grow off, and as you notice from the wilds, mushrooms grow on rotting things, or living things, hence the decaying straw or the logs (from logs cut no longer than 3 weeks before and not from evergreen trees). Your bedroom may be too warm, do you have a shed, cellar or under sink cupboard? A log would grow in a window box!
    The only other thing is to get them completely free and pick wild ones. I have seen plenty around here at the right time of the year, and very few people pick them either because they dont know they are there or dont know about mushrooms.
    Happy spawning!

I live in uni accommodation and the only place that's mine to put stuff is my bedroom.

I guess I'll just buy mushrooms ;) They aren't as good when you can;t fry things anyway.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    I bought one for my Dad from B&Q a couple of years ago. It was a polystyrene box with the compost already inside. I think that you just had to water it to 'get it going'.

Maybe something like that would be suitable for a first attempt?
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• crana999
    Options
    Yeah, that was the kind of thing I was thinking of. I'll have a look next time I go. I have a £10 B&Q voucher on the way ;) so it could be just the thing
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I had a mushroom kit years ago it was in a cardboard box, there was potting compost in it and a bag of spores. It produced lovely fresh mushrooms for weeks.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Sarahsaver
    Options
    crana999 wrote:
    I live in uni accommodation and the only place that's mine to put stuff is my bedroom.

I guess I'll just buy mushrooms ;) They aren't as good when you can't fry things anyway.

Ive seen a few student bedrooms where mushrooms growing were the least of their worries! Isnt there a communal place you could use? An outbuilding or something?
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts