Changing dogs name?

Options
I'm thinking ahead a bit here, and this may not crop up, but if I could just ask?

The plan is when we've moved, to get another dog, or 2, from a breed rescue or similar. I've seen dogs with some really naff names and also a lot of 'Murphys,' (I really couldn't replace Murph with another one of the same name).

I really don't want to be put off by a name if there is a chance of re-homing a lovely dog, so is it doable to change the name if a dog has had it for a few years?

T.I.A.

Comments

• chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its very easy, we did a rehoming last year of a 7 year old Bichon who now has, and answers to a new name xx

PS We do a bit of breed rescue if and when x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    Think of a name as a command - dogs don't really 'get' the nature of a name but our use of it gives it a meaning. Generally, it's a cue to pay attention, sometimes a "come here", but in practice you should have an official recall command and leave the name 'untainted'. So it's "Casper (pay me attention and await a command), come (come over here)"
    So, thinking of the name as a command, you can teach a new name to have the same meaning.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiMGJBxRtBw
    http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/attention.htm
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chris_n_tj wrote: »
    Its very easy, we did a rehoming last year of a 7 year old Bichon who now has, and answers to a new name

We also found it very easy.

murphydog999 - don't let a weird name put you off rehoming a dog.
  • Sharon140
    Sharon140 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    When we adopted our girl Sasha who was 18 months old her name was Sandy and as she was such a little cutie we thought the name was a bit plain for her. My Brother-in-law suggested that we call her a name that sounded similar so Sasha she became and never once ignored anyone :) She is now 12yrs old has arthritis, cataracts and a touch of dementia but is still as beautiful as the day we first seen her :heart2:
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    Options
    My dogs had supposedly had their names for 5 years before they came to me, they didn't even glance up when I called them. As they'd clearly been treated pretty badly I decided a fresh start needed fresh new names.

The change took about half a day, although admittedly they do both respond to both names, but that's not so bad!
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    I used to refer to my now deceased dog as "a little monkey". It really wasn't that long before she started responding to the name monkey. :D
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm another one that didn't have a problem, Ellie was 3/4 when she came to me last year and she had never had a name before coming to me, she didn't even have a number which most puppy farmers do give to their dogs. It took Ellie just a few days to start responding to her name.
  • Millie2008_2
    Millie2008_2 Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's easier if both names end in an ee sound :)

That said, we took on an old collie x when her old owner died and I swear her neighbour, who handed her over, called her Kim.

It was only after she died that I found her old collar that she had arrived with and noticed her name was skip. She always answered to Kim and I guess they sound similar.

GSD used to answer to GSD, Gemma, Gem, Gemima, Moose (don't ask) and several more.....
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    Lots of strays in rescues don't have a name when they arrive. The staff just give them one that is avaliable at the time.
    Ours was called Libby by the staff .. we changed it to Millie.
    Our rescue cat was Rollo, he became Charlie and I had a rescue cat 3 years old (male) that I called Whitney cos I was 20 years old and had passed my test in Whitney that year .. poor puss
    Its the sound and tone of voice not the word that they come to recognise .
  • coinxoperated
    coinxoperated Posts: 1,026 Forumite
    Options
    My little one was named Copper originally.

After a 8 quid spelling mistake on his name tag, he is now named Cooper :rotfl:

I also call him Puddle.... you can guess why!

But he does respond to all! Including if you say 'Amigo!' or 'Chicken!'

:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family