We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

NS&I or Baclays

Options
13»

Comments

• Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    trets77 wrote: »
    true but our PM in waiting has always been keen on us saving , so i doubt he will let his own departments pioneering ISA slip .

comes down to Trust and the Terms.

I trust NS & I to do whats best for the savers , not Barclays Shareholders.

Who knows what Gordon Brown will do if (or should that be when?) he becomes PM. (You know what MP's are like, promise the earth but when they get in power...;))

Like I said in my previous post, I'm not arguing that one ISA is better than the other here (I rate both ISA's), I just wanted to present all of the facts, as the fact that NS&I's rate guarantee expires on 05.04.08 didn't seem to be mentioned in the posts above. NS&I may extend their guarantee or add a new one, but then again they may not. If they don't NS&I savers will also have to transfer out - not just the Barclays Tax Beater ISA customers (who could be receiving 5.50% by then to NS&I's 5.25%).

Even though NS&I is backed by HM Treasury, it is still a profit making institution so I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that their ISA will always be competitive because Gordon wants us all to save.

I should also add that Martin Lewis, the owner of Moneysavingexpert.com, rates the Barclays ISA and lists it as his 'top pick'. He knows what he's talking about, see here. So I think it is worth considering.

Regarding the interest rate calculation mistake, pretty much all banks do this from time to time. As I read a lot of letters pages from newspaper money supplements I have seen that many different banks make these type of mistakes - not just Barclays. If the Barclays ISA becomes uncompetitive then I'll do what many MSE members would do; transfer out.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good points !!!

, i,m not trying to start a argument or say your orginal post was not well informed . i,m sure the Barclays ISA is a fine and astute pick out of the 100's of crappy ISA's out there

i just don,t trust them to be the better bet over NS & I over several years. it will be intresting to see what the state of play will be next year

guess my very bad experiances of Barclays have made me cosy up to Greedy Gordon. impressive given i don,t trust him futher than i can throw my next ballot paper to vote him out of power lol
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fair enough trets77. It's been interesting discussing ISAs with you and Gordon tM above.

:beer:
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • steviehud37
    steviehud37 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I am thinking about putting my money in NS&I because of the convience of online banking.

So next Friday 6 April (Good Friday) 00.01hrs can i transfer 3k online into my new NS&I ISA (2007/2008) ? or will i have to wait till saturday cause Bank Holiday?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,656 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should be able to time it so the money goes in on the Tuesday.
  • agal
    agal Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    I am thinking about putting my money in NS&I because of the convience of online banking.

So next Friday 6 April (Good Friday) 00.01hrs can i transfer 3k online into my new NS&I ISA (2007/2008) ? or will i have to wait till saturday cause Bank Holiday?

Personally, I'm going to try on Friday 6th. It has been my experience that electronic banking is often unaffected by bank holidays so it's worth a try. What have we got to lose?
  • kanchhelskis
    Options
    what isa do i go for barclays nsai or bradford a bingley 1 year fix@ 6.15%. will they put intrest rates up nex week?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport