Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

edited 17 June 2014 at 5:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 314.8K views

Replies

• debtmessdebtmess Forumite
    711 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Week 1
    Sunday
    B Porridge and Jam
    L Toad in the hole 2 sausages each plus 2 y.puds, some mixed veg, use 1 of the baking potatoes and cut into 4 and gravy
    D 2 boiled eggs each plus one sliced roll toasted each. Pancakes using left over batter from Yorkshire puds and lemon juice for dessert
    Make up the sponge mix using 1 egg to make 12 fairy cakes for lunch boxes for through the week put them in the freezer and just get 2 out every morning

Monday
    B As Sunday
    L 2 ham rolls and a cake
    D sausage pasta: Cook ½ a pack of spaghetti and fry 2 sausages and slice them up, add ½ a jar of pasta sauce and a handful of frozen mixed veg....

Tuesday
    B P & J
    L 2 ham rolls and a cake
    D Sausage pilaff :Cook some rice for 10 mins, transfer to a dish, fry and slice the last 2 sausages and put into the rice along with a handful of mixed veg and the ¼ of a jar of the pasta sauce, plus 1 mug full of water. (Leave the rest of the sauce left in the jar for tomorrow) Put in the oven for 15 -20 mins, or until the rice has absorbed most of the pasta sauce.

Wednesday
    Breakfast as the rest of the week
    L 2 ham rolls each and a cake
    D Pitta bread pizza....... spread the last of the pasta sauce over one or two pitta breads each
    (Depending on appetite), break up some mozzarella and equally divide over the pitta breads along with a few olives from a jar.

Thursday
    Breakfast and Lunch as Wednesday
    D. 1 egg omelette, with a jacket potato each, plus a tin of baked beans.
    Friday Breakfast and Lunch as Thursday D ½ pack spaghetti, a diced onion and a cheese sauce for a spaghetti cheese.

Saturday B As Friday L The last 2 pitta breads filled with boiled eggs and lettuce D Mixed veg crust less quiche 2 eggs 200ml milk the last of the mixed veg and a sprinkle of mixed herbs, if you have them, serve with lettuce and a couple of tomatoes (get these from the local market or Greengrocer( they don't mind you buying a few at a time) and boiled potatoes using the last baking potato or they can be diced and fried.

Tesco unless specified Aldi or Asda

Porridge 500g 55p...... 1kg £1 (1kg in Asda is 75p)
    Mixed fruit Jam 29p
    Everyday 12 pk rolls 35p
    Everyday ham (10 slices) 61p
    sponge sandwich mix 22p
    6 pitta bread 20p
    Baked beans 26p Aldi
    4 baking potatoes 59p Aldi
    Spaghetti 500g 24p
    LG Rice 1 kg 40p
    Bag frozen mixed veg 75p
    Gravy Granules 20p
    Everyday pork sausages 56p
    Pasta sauce 39p
    Cheese sauce mix 3 for £1 = 33p
    Batter Mix 7p
    1 onion 10p
    15 eggs = £1.25 Aldi
    Mozzarella1 x 44p = 44p

The total is from the cheapest price on the list £7.80, but you will still have 5 eggs and 2/3 of a bag of rice left for the following week.

Wow thank you xxx I am going back to work in September and am dreading the cross over from IS to waiting for payday, a menu plan like this is going to help me stretch everything to make sure I can sort the rent and bills whilst still eating and feeding the kids.
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • prepareathomeprepareathome Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    quintwins and Butterfly I think you are both amazing at what you have come up with and I for one have copied shamelessly what you put and will add to my recipes and lists so if I need them in future if things get tougher i have them - I am very grateful to what time you took to do them even if the OP isn't and if the OP is the one who also came along as second newbie well I just cannot wait until the day they find themselves in need of your help but by then it will be to late as most likely the forum will be in another format or not running ( as they obviously feel they are safe for a few years but who knows what the future brings a billionaire today could be a homeless penniless wreck in 10 years time or even worse if they act like this in RL - there was a report somewhere I read that people who troll on the internet tend to get braver and start doing things in RL similar to what they do on internet as they lose their ability to realise its different as their trolling makes them feel so brave and secure )

You know you did the best you could for someone you thought was in deep trouble. I have total admiration for everyone on here that helped.
    :rotfl:C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper:rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 £119.12/2012-? Save £12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
  • debtmessdebtmess Forumite
    711 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Thank you all. You have restored my faith a little, but I am still stinging. I will work on the menu and post to anyone who has requested it by PM. Oh and johnnyboy you have been reported as spam :mad:

After now reading the rest of the thread Butterfly Brain you will have honestly helped me out :) I do not get the time to come on here anywhere as much as I used. Today I have so I can start saving a little here n there ready for September.
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • heavenleighheavenleigh Forumite
    906 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. You have restored my faith a little, but I am still stinging. I will work on the menu and post to anyone who has requested it by PM. Oh and johnnyboy you have been reported as spam :mad:

Right you,.......huge hugs from a perfect stranger, you tried your best and it wasnt appreciated by the person you took time out of your busy life to answer......but believe me it was appreciated by the regulars and lurkers...don't waste any more of your energy on the one who doesn't :0) you gave your time and input and there are alot of us here who cherished it xxx
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • mummybearxmummybearx Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just showed the menu to my friend in need, he is looking forward to the second menu :)

Although he has said he doesn't like porridge (what a strange man!!) so I will adapt it to something else for him and add in milk :T
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • snookeysnookey Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi just to say its worth looking at buying food when reduced right at the end of the day I got a load of food for coppers
    Also if your really struggling look out for a place that hands out food parcels
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your kind messages I will just ignore the newbies now woman.gif and to all of you who would like the second week I will get it to you asap might be tomorrow though (Having a bbq tonight and had to go and get some extra bits so I haven't finished the menu yet)
    zepsgal he could always make the oats into flapjacks for a quick snack or breakfast :D failing that the cheapest own brand cornflakes are 46p for 750g in Asda and 2l of milk is £1
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi super six this week is really good iceberg lettuce, advocado, spring onions, 3 lemons, beetroot, 4 baking potatoes all at 39p.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • snookeysnookey Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi just to add here is a food bank link;

[email protected] or call 01722 580171
  • sb88_2sb88_2 Forumite
    194 Posts
    These are really great menus! I'm going to print them off and add them to my household management diary for "emergencys" :)

It is ashame that it is hard to tell if people are genuine or not :(
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals