PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Which Surveyor? Should I use a Colleys or EServ surveyor?

Options
Hi,

I've had an offer accepted on a property which I am purchasing as a cash buy, and I am now looking to instruct a surveyor.

For my situation I would like a bit of advice on which type of surveyor to look for.

The property is pretty delapidated and my plan is to, renovate it, split it into 2 flat, move into one of the flats once complete, then re-mortgage both flats (hoping to get a higher valuations for mortgage purposes on the 2 flats than intital purchase price of the house).

So I am looking for a surveyor that can provide a good structural survey, and also provide me with sound advice on the likely re-mortgage values once the flats have been renovated (and also advice on any pitfalls and how to avoid them, come re-mortgage).

I have heard that Colleys and EServ surveyors are the ones that work for the big mortgage providers, so would it be a good idea to get one of these?

Any thoughts on the above I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Colleys is owned by Halifax/LBG. Esurv carries out valuations for many mortgage lenders.

I would personally find myself a small, independent FRICS surveyor in my area and give them the business. You are likely to be able to strike up a good relationship with them and call on them for help and advice after the inspection and report are done.

I'm a little guy in the mortgage world and I do what I can for the other smaller guys in the property business - solicitors, surveyors etc.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 July 2012 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Esurv carried out the Homebuyers Report for our buyers last year. The surveyor spent between 3 and 3 1/2 hours at the house (5 bed detached, Tudor) and the guy appeared to be pretty thorough - but he made several errors, most of which were avoidable and another, less keen buyer may well have pulled out as result of his spurious findings......I wouldn't recommend them myself :(
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Winkle1908
    Winkle1908 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    I've used Colleys twice and found them very good but have nothing to compare them with.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    I would support what kingstreet suggested. I might even go further due to the condition of the property and proposed conversion and suggest a local independent Chartered Building Surveyor although that may leave you needing a local valuer to advise on future values and mortgagability. I certainly would not recommend any of the large national chains of valuers like Colleys or Esurv for this type of property (or indeed any property).

One thing I would suggest is to make plenty of free enquiries before paying for surveys etc. Flat conversions are not as easy to get through planning as they used to be so I would make enquiries with the local authority and speak to local estate agents about the current market conditions for flat conversions in the area.
  • Big_Zee
    Big_Zee Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I'm all for supporting the small guy, but I'm just wondering why specifically you wouldn't recommend a surveyor from Colleys or ESurv? - ie there maybe a local surveyor who works for one of these big firms.

Suppose I'm looking for a re-mortgage in 6 months after re-development, would not a surveyor from Esurv be in a better position to advise on possible pitfalls to look out for, and actions to take before I apply? Also what if the re-mortgage requires a structural survey - It would be annoying to have to instruct a completely new survey just because the first one didn't tick the right box - how would I avoid this happening?

Thanks for the help with the questions - as I say I'm all for small independents, but I need to ensure it works for me if I do.

Thanks again in advance.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When remortgaging, the lender's surveyor may ask for additional information on the property but no-one is going to ask for a full structural survey.

The mortgage report and valuation establishes to the lender that the property is worth your estimated value and is suitable security for the mortgage. That's the lender's only interest.

I can see no advantage in using a "chain" surveyor over a local independent. If I could, I'd tell you what it was...!
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd personally never use esurve after my buyers surveyor refused to remove his shoes to go upstairs in my house. Luckily I always keep shoe covers for tradesman etc to use to save my carpets getting soiled, but felt this guy was just a pompus **** and vowed never to use the company myself.

Definitely not the way to win customers or create a good impression.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Big_Zee wrote: »
    I'm all for supporting the small guy, but I'm just wondering why specifically you wouldn't recommend a surveyor from Colleys or ESurv? - ie there maybe a local surveyor who works for one of these big firms.

The guy from Esurv that did our buyers' survey definitely wasn't local - he admitted this - and had no idea of the local market. Whilst he valued the house we were selling at the price agreed, he made such ridiculous school-boy errors that it makes me wonder what he was actually doing for three and a half hours :(
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a seller the last person i'd wanna see is Esurv,they're renowned for really down valuing.

As your're a buyer they may work in favour.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • barrow1956
    Options
    I agree esurv are well known for down valuing ,stay well clear .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure