Options
1235»

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Take it back?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When you say it's "used" - did you buy privately or from a shop ? If from a shop, take it back. If private, then your best bet is to find a local "domestic appliance repair shop" and see if they can take a look for you.
  • nicohill
    Options
    I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer, FUFM171P, which is only three years old. The fridge has stopped working but the freezer is fine.

It made some knocking sounds about a week ago for a while but then the sounds stopped but the fridge seemed to still be working. However, I came home after four days of caring for a sick relative and had to throw all the food out.

I have looked at the back of the fridge and it isn't dirty. I have turned the thermostat to maximum but no joy.

Is it worth trying to get it repaired or is it better to buy a new one? Any advice welcome.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicohill wrote: »
    I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer, FUFM171P, which is only three years old. The fridge has stopped working but the freezer is fine.

It made some knocking sounds about a week ago for a while but then the sounds stopped but the fridge seemed to still be working. However, I came home after four days of caring for a sick relative and had to throw all the food out.

I have looked at the back of the fridge and it isn't dirty. I have turned the thermostat to maximum but no joy.

Is it worth trying to get it repaired or is it better to buy a new one? Any advice welcome.

Is it one of those fridges that blows the cold air out of a vent inside? Cold freezer and warm fridge in one of these models can be caused by ice blocking up the air channel to the fridge, so it may simply need to be unplugged for a day or so to see if the ice melts away. Or possibly the fan or circuit controlling it is broken. Chances are it's quite repairable. However, modern fridges do have a whole lot of completely needless junk in them - fans, air channels and circuit boards cause lots of problems, and they simply weren't in the old ones. I have no idea why designers add more and more parts to things that always used to work fine with very few. If you end up shopping for a replacement, older ones are better designed usually, but less energy efficient.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The display/control switch board on our Samsung caused it to turn off and mess with the settings.

Everything mechanical fans heaters air baffle and the thermistors checked out OK and the main board seemed to be OK as well.

Set it to the values needed and disconnected the display worked fine since(quite a few years).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure