Fridge/Freezer Repair advice

Options

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    just replace it. esp a cheap model.

the engineers call out fee alone will cost nearly the same a new freezer.
    add any parts (at top dollar) and the bill could be higher.
    Get some gorm.
  • mr_fishey
    Options
    wend2410 wrote: »
    We've had our Proline chest freezer for a couple of years and its always worked fine. However, one of the hinges on the lid recently broke so the lid doesn't stay up but does close. Then one day - about a couple of weeks after we first notice the lid broken, I opened my freezer and all the food had defrosted!!! Thankfully it wasn't full but we still wasted a lot! The power light was still on though so I couldn't work out what was wrong. After emptying the freezer we put it on boost to see if it would freeze again. it did and it stays frozen when like this. I know this is not economical but it seems to be the only way to keep it frozen. I have taken it off boost and it seems to stay frozen for a couple of days on the normal power but then I can see its starting to defrost so back on boost it goes. Any ideas why this is happening - could it be the lid gasket/seal or just a case of getting a new hinge for the lid? Or could it be something else. It wasn't a hugely expensive freezer brand new so don't want to have to pay a huge call out fee if I don't need to. Unfortunately with Xmas approaching, yes it is important to have the freezer, but could really do without the cost of a new one.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

All the boost switch does is bypass the thermostat and apply 240 volts(mains power) direct to the compressor to make it run continuously. It sounds like the thermostat is not working I'm afraid.
  • Lexi_Helms
    Options
    Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm living in a rented property, and I've noticed that the fridge part of the fridge / freezer (Samsung RL33SBSW) isnt working properly. Its keeping food cold, but its dangerously close to the "danger zone" (6 degrees or higher... sorry, Food Teacher coming out!). The freezer works fine.

This is the first property I've lived in that isnt University quarters, and I've no idea where I stand with the Fridge Freezer! Am I responcible for the repair, or is the Landlord? Can anyone shed any light on what the problem with the fridge is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Lexi.
  • lee2012
    Options
    ive recently bought a RFA52S hotpoint fridge/freezer was delivered yesterday, im not very clued up on electric appliances saw sorry in advance if my question is a dumb one, it makes a hissing sound from the back, its not a persistant noise and is coming from a clear pipe that runs into the fridge department.

many thanks

lee
  • joyfull
    joyfull Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    Hope it's OK to ask for help with my problem too.

Hotpoint Iced Diamond fridge. No freezer in fridge. No longer cools at all. No sound of motor. Light still comes on.

Hate to chuck it out - only a few yrs old, in good condition.

Any suggestions please? Thank you.
    "Sometimes letting things go is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on.”
  • charlotty75
    charlotty75 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 5 March 2012 at 12:09AM
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm tagging along on this thread also for help and advise please? Hotpoint FFA71
    My Freezer temp too high light has been on for 2 days now and has completely stopped working. So far the fridge is okay (it did start to get warmer but I changed the temp to cooler and that seems to have worked for now) The freezer however is just warm. I cannot hear the fan clicking in so I'm thinking it's maybe that but I've also had a look online and seen that the gas and compressors can die/go?
    I've had it for just under 7 years and up to now it's been fantastic!
    I have no idea who to get to look at it and trust and also money is VERY tight..
    Hope someone can help/give advice/point me in the right direction?

many thanks
    Charlotte
  • limerickman
    Options
    Hi. My zanussi fridge/freezer keeps setting off the trip switch. There is a lot of ice build up in both compartments. Any ideas?
  • Natt1
    Options
    [QUOTE=_fridge/freezer_keeps_setting_off_the_trip_switch._[/QUOTE] Sounds like you could have a fault with either your compressor or something to do with the defrosting of your fridge or it could even be something like the icemachine which is what happened to me with our admiral fridge freezer we only found this out when admiral sent out an engineer from agsrefrigeration.co.uk which saved me a few bob for i was just about to dump it because i was told previously the fault was with the compressor.
  • ezzy378
    Options
    i have a beko fridge freezer class a frost free the problems in having is the fridge isn't getting cold plus the freezer isn't freezing the fan in the freezer running all the time and the compressor running all thee time as well i have replaced the back PCB behind the fridge at the back at the top there is like a water sounds as well too like its whooshing sound the compressor is hot could u advice me what could be wrong
  • sillycow1111
    Options
    Hi, I bought an used fridge freezer yesterday and it's not working. After inspection looks like it had a gas leak and has to be fixed and refilled....not sure you will see my pictures. Can anyone advise what to do with it please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure