PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• heavenleigh
    Options
    D&#8517 wrote: »
    jams.jpg

Here you go theres all sorts in here as you can see but all either made from the garden or foraged for free :D

Yum, can't say anything else really....yum
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    jams.jpg

Here you go theres all sorts in here as you can see but all either made from the garden or foraged for free :D

Oh Wow D&DD, they look wonderful - I really ought to do more preserving - only done it a couple of times but I love it! x
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks WCS I found some here but may also look around locally.

D&DD Lovely sight :) Mine are under the bed out of sight :(
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just had a thought - yes its possible for me to think at this late hour - maybe some of those zippy ties would be a good addition to a survival kit, they have them in the £ shops, they are very useful and strong, and gaffer tape. You can fix almost anything with gaffer tape - or so they say!
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you do canning, isn't it possible to can hummus? It is inordinately expensive from what I saw on Amazon, with dry chick peas you can make hummus for pennies!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    D&DD your preserves look fantastic..........
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2012 at 8:20AM
    Options
    grandma247 wrote: »
    Thanks WCS I found some here but may also look around locally.

D&DD Lovely sight :) Mine are under the bed out of sight :(

Oh thanks grandma, shall purchase some more - it's so useful! We don't have any of the big supermarkets around here, and none deliver either, but amazon do appear to have more and more grocery lines, including stuff like bread flour and rice - does anyone use them regularly???

D&DD a lovely sight indeed.

Edited to add Caterina, yes it is expensive, but has proved very useful for us. Youngest has dairy and egg allergies and we've had lots of emergency trips to yorkhill - they can never get organised to feed him quickly, it takes a day or two unless he wants chips and beans! so we used to take it with us to allow baked potatoes, hummus on toast etc until they got organised. He's grown now but I still keep it for emergencies. Have never tried canning as have never been able to afford the initial outlay but would love to - our house is small and warm, and preserves etc have to be kept chilled to give a longer life i'm finding, which limits us.

WCS
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I would like o start a food storage. Just a little apprehensive about hyperinflation heading our way. If we all did our bit and spread the word when the cake mix hits the fan any food is better than nothing. Love the videos on you tube on food storage.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    mrs lds,
    All good reasons for having a food store, I took time building up mine but will stop now and I did the same with buying items that may have to last me long ingto the future...

Its not that we are always thinking of emergenices on a grand scale just a change in circumstances like the loss of a job, reduction in income, loss of benefits, having to care for someone, worry of losing a roof over your head whether getting into difficulty of affording the mortguage or paying rent and the introduction of various extra expenses like a bedroom tax and changes regarding CT...many other reasons I have missed and this can all happen suddenly.

Most of what I have were obtained from CS(my main outlet charges 99p)or discount supermarkets/own brand ranges...so even if money is tight now it can still be done...just.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even just having a bad cold or not wanting to go out when it is icy underfoot can make it worth having a good storecupboard.

DH thought I was crazy when I froze twenty packs of butter at 64 pence a pack a couple of years ago. Less than a year later when the same brand of butter was nearly twice the price he began to see what I was getting at.

Just used the breadmaker to make a rapid loaf using flour I bought over a year ago and store in big plastic jar. Used lentils to make soup the other day that I had bought well over a year ago and put in big glass jars. I found that goods in plastic bags fell about the cupboard and made it difficult to find and use so bought storage jars from Amazon and I can find things better.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills