PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think we have to be sensible about prepping - no point in worry too much about an armageddon-type scenario since many of us wouldn't survive that - modern knowledge will always be with us, even if some technology has to be left behind. I don't think we'll ever go back to the days of not having life-saving operations, medicines etc but we will have to prioritise our usage of energy efficiently - so even with a life-defeating illness in two of my family we aren't planning for anything so drastic.

However, we do need to look at alternative ways to live, re-kindling old skills and marrying them with new technology to live a productive life. Personally my days of digging for victory are over apart from in a cursory manner, but I still have the skills for that and the younger generations in my family provide the labour - we're inter-generationally productive here, and i'm passing on my knowledge in a practical way, as my children will do to the next generation - whether that be within our without our own family.

I've thought about this a lot with my declining health, and I think a real strength for us is our inter-generational lifestyle - everyone contributes to their own ability, finances are maximised and we are all nurtured, cherished and loved by each other. We're only two generations just now, but hopeful one day to be three or four, and because we live together as a larger family when neighbours have problems we can easily look after them for short or longer periods without negatively impacting our resources too greatly. It solves a lot of problems with pensions, housing, employment, childcare etc also

WCS
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If there is going to be an Armageddon in our lifetimes it will be an economic one. Look at Greece. I was reading a link yesterday that someone posted here to the MoneyWeek site and they say that our total indebtedness as a nation is the same or greater than Germany's right before total disaster hit there in the 20's. Both sides of my family lost everything in the 20's: businesses, property, land. The lot. Memories are short. "It can't happen here". Well, it could. No nation can be totally immune to economic forces beyond its government's control.

Maybe we should stop stockpiling lavatory paper and get ourselves some guns. We should be able to use all those redundant fivers for lav paper if the unthinkable happens.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WCS you are the voice of reason, and what a lovely thing you have going with your family and that you all care about and for each other is so right. The idea that you will be able to help neighbours and friends because of the strength you have with each other is exactly how life ought to be!!! In living together as a multi-generational family unit it really is a 'Back to the Future' way as families used to share homes and chores right up until the industrial revoloution, and you are also right in the getting older generation having the knowledge and skills to pass on to the younger ones. Let's hope that should there be big problems in society for whatever reason folks have the good sense to do as you have, and band together as a family, you'll have a better chance than most that way, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Thanks Lyn - I really do think that the key to all our futures is that anyone with any capacity should be productive in some way. As you probably know I work with some of the most disadvantaged in society, and even though they are not able to work I encourage them to give something back in whatever way they can, and focussing on that can bring back some self esteem and self respect. Volunteering and/or befriending is open to many of us and sharing basic tasks in a day can be fulfilling. I'm horrified when I read about and experience through my work the erosion of the welfare system, but if those of us that can contribute in any small way do then it takes some pressure off the system to be there for those that truely cannot.
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No next generation for me and OH, but talking to my RL friend's we have come up with a possable salutution, and that is look for a big house or farm, and we'll move in together, 2 of us are goodish gardener's, 3 can knit,5 can croqcher, 1 know's how to forage, 1 know's how to gut fish, 1 can kill and prepare bird's and animal's and all of us cook from scratch, question is though, can 6 families live in the same place?...........goes of dreaming of taking over local stately home.....
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    sounds like a great idea! when we lived on the island we didn't live together as a community but we certainly were inter-dependent, so I guess this would be one step nearer? I think its a really constructive way forward to live as family, however you come together.
    Be interested to hear how you progress
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I have been playing with my new toy today (Kelly Kettle :D:D:D) and it is fab! I have managed to boil three kettles full of water and they have filled my four vacuum jugs (Reduced to £4.99 each in Aldi), so I have enough hot water for tea and coffee for 12 hours (That's how long the jugs hold the heat for) just think of all that leccie I have saved with just a couple of handfuls of dried twigs :j
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 March 2013 at 1:57PM
    Options
    I don't know if I am allowed to recommend a supplier but here goes....
    Keelham Farm Shop (which I've just come from) is a few miles from me and it's just FABULOUS.
    http://keelhamfarmshop.co.uk/robertshaw-way.asp
    Wonderful meat, brilliant selection of fresh fruit and veg, a deli section with meats, cheeses, olives etc, a wine shop, small supermarket section, garden centre and small animal centre for the kiddies (and some of us grown ups ;)). A lot of produce is locally sourced, they've won loads of awards and also they keep putting on events.
    http://keelhamfarmshop.co.uk/whats-on.asp
    They do a fair amount for charity too.
    Best of all are the prices. Twice recently I've seen people debating the bill at the checkout because it seems too low.
    Worth a detour if you are in this area!
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think we will have a total armageddon scenario personally, but this is my own personal view.
    The main problem at the moment seems to be the huge overhang of debt at both a personal and government level, I don't think a lot of it will ever be paid back, it will be eroded by a continually lowered standard of living.

A bit like rolling over and over a loan, each month you try ti pay some off, but you have less each month to live on.

Going back to when I was small, we had a poor standard of living, no hot water, coal fire in one room, very little clothing, no car, basic foods without fridge or freezer, no phone, computers and quite simple entertainments, all basic stuff.

There was very little in the way of state benefits and the NHS was quite basic. My mum lused to live in Ireland and when in hospital there your family had to provide food for you and bedding, just tje medical care was provided free, you still have to pay to see the GP there.

I think we are going back there, slowly. Some European countries are already almost there.

How much will we lose on the way?
    I have my own thoughts on that. Many things are changing from what we have known in the recent past. Affordable hones, a good pension, getting married, having children, secure jobs with a living wage, totally free medical care from cradle to grave, free university education . The list is quite long when you look at it.

Slowly things will go backwards in my view, with a little rise back up and some steep dips down.

My best preparation is my willingness and ability to adapt and change. To make the most of whatever I have and bring something of myself to it. To cherish life, respect others and to offer a helping hand within my means.

I lived a poor life as a child and have enjoyed 50 years of progress and development, I hope I can adapt and change to whatever challenges the future will bring. To say we live in interesting times is an understatement, we are living in truly once in a planet times.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    If it brings back compassion then it has done one good thing eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure