PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 March 2013 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Lots of custard cream recipes online. One here. buy in custard powder now as it keeps ages.

Custard powder makes a lighter chocolate cake if you replace 1-2 oz of flour with it. I do this because I have mostly been using wholemeal so it can be a bit heavy. Family going completely wheat free when I have used up what flour is left.
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that Grandma, shall try that minus the egg - we haven't been able to have them for some time. I made a fairly decent bourbon recently, adapted from an old bero recipe.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Norty pineapple is biting her lip........ :D
    :p I'm too innocent for this thread.:p

Have added three more candles to the stash, a teeny tiny compass and a firesteel. I plan to play with the firesteel on the lottie tomorrow. |I already know the lottie's orientation (NNE-SSW and probably bi).

I was :mad: when I heard that they want more money for the military and they want it at the expense of the welfare budget if they can't get it any other way.

Yeah. Right. And be ready to deploy the troops on the streets of this country when the SHTF.

Today has been very pleasing, inc bumping into an ex-colleague when out and about, and getting some nice books and a Red Herring v neck black tee (50p!) What can you get for 50p in this vale of tears?

Umm, a bar of Liddly chocolate, a paperback and a pillar candle, based on today's shopping trip.

GQ - born to (charity) shop.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GQ take a cotton wool ball or some cotton wool with you, if all else fails, that is the certain sure way of lighting a fire with a firesteel and your firing materials might be a bit damp after all the cold, so they might just need a little help, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh will have a read back then - keep thinking about starting a blog as i get lovely feedback photos through etsy but feel it wouldnt be so interesting now we're not on the island crofting and home-schooling.
    Sorry arms too short to reach that far so i've eaten your slice for you :rotfl:

You should do one. I bet you had a really interesting time crofting and home schooling. I bet the kids had a good fun time there, all that freedom to run about etc. It would be good to jot down your memories, even if it's not a blog. (I would read it!):)

That means I have to get my 30p 'cooking' chocolate that acts as a back up when there is no cake about:D
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GQ take a cotton wool ball or some cotton wool with you, if all else fails, that is the certain sure way of lighting a fire with a firesteel and your firing materials might be a bit damp after all the cold, so they might just need a little help, Cheers Lyn xxx.

A little petroleum jelly spread on the cotton wool ball makes an excellent fire starter. Dryer lint is better than cotton wool if you have access to it.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mumma thank you for the laugh, I love it. It reminds of when they asked why OH was in a wheelchair, cos there are only 2 disabled parking spaces at Atos and I had to walk half a mile from the car park pushing the damned thing 'because he cant walk' :mad:

Grandma, thank you once again for another handy recipe, bless you. I will begin production of custard creams on the moro :D Ya boo sucks Mr T I wont need you at all soon :j
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mmm those biccy recipes sound nice. Will have to get some custard in. Our Tesco had a few empty shelves this week, mostly basic things. Wonder if they will re-stock or not. And, what happened to jelly, can you get it in blocks anymore or just ready made?

We have a long growing time in Scotland in the summer as it doesn't get dark till llpm and lightens up again at 2am. So everything catches up with the rest of UK as we have to plant later. (DH grits his teeth when I want to get things planted in Feb as he knows they wont survive....but the sun is out, they will be fine!!)

And convinced DH we needed some chickens, so hopefully they will be here next week. Got some straw and oats from local farmer dead cheap. So already for those fresh eggs. I was given some eggs of the cheaper variety and if I had turned the light off I'm sure the I could have seen by the egg white it was so luminous.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Last time..for today anyways..

Been meaning to say about your improvised candle moulds GQ; had you 'greased' them with something--I don't know..cooking oil or summat--or tried standing them in hot water, to help release them once solid?
    Not sure why I thought of it but it's been bugging me since your experiment :angry:

I'd made a note to ask in my To Do notebook, but I can't find that since I tidied up :undecided
    I am, most definitely, a Lost Cause :o in the World of Housekeep.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Today I decided to shift the sandbags from the rear of the house (I put them down last year when we got those 'monsoon rains').
    I got them from a local builder's merchant - except they don't do them ready made. But they sell the casings and they sell the sand and will even fill them for you. So all you have to do then is decide on what sort of casing and what sort of sand :huh:
    Before then I used to think a sandbag was just a sandbag. Silly moi....
    I chose the traditional hessian type woven casing. How stupid was that! Because they leak sand. And then if left in situ for any length of time, they rot. And then they leak some more sand. Then when you try to shift them..... Well you get the picture. :(

Just to be aware should sandbags be part of your preparedness. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure