PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2012 at 10:59PM
    Options
    I think if anyone breaks into my house they'll leave me something out of pity :rotfl:.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :D
    Just sitting watching the news earthquake and tsunami warnings in Japan again :(
    Rejigging my winter lists this week as snow was being forecast for a good portion of the rest of December here then they changed the forecast lol

Hope everyone is well busy time of year here XX
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Just sitting looking out at a white world and wishing I was younger and fitter to go skiing !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    we`ll likely be getting a touch of sleet/snow in sw only up to 11th but more all over everywhere else, however not shelf-emptying stuff, still I would be ready with soups etc 10/11th if I lived anywhere else, bar sw. After that I`ll be, maybe, expecting dry mild days/cold nights, not ds of course but he lives in scotland, showers sleet drizzle snow wind but he still loves having gone back to his roots, so normal scottish weather I suppose ;)
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Thanks. Though it's easy to see why the UK is mocked re the way we handle winter weather, the fact is we do easily grind to a halt and have to prep for it....
    :mad: It make me so angry when people go on about the lack of preparation for adverse weather conditions for public transport :mad:
    If they can't/won't drive their cars because of the conditions, how on earth do they think a bus driver feels carrying 60+ passengers in a tin or a pilot landing on packed ice!
    The moans about rail services are the worst. Signal boxs have been decommissioned & there's maybe a dozen 'central control' units to cover the entire UK network. Frozen signals & points out on the track are a danger, so what would you prefer..a delayed service while they try to sort it out, or carry on regardless keeping your eyes closed til you get to your destination, hopefully in one piece.
    Leaves on the line are considered a joke, but the trains themselves are now considerably lighter in construction so just slide over the foliage etc--not helpful when approaching a bend or another train already in the station.

Yes, other countries have more snow than we see on crimbly cards but that is the crux; they have snow every winter so it's a good idea to invest in snow shuffling stuff. If our local authorities collectively spent £1bn on the latest equipment at the cost of closing fire stations, police forces etc etc, there would be uproar if those machines were left to rust because the closest we had to harsh winters for the next 12 years was a dusting of frost!

And while I'm on a mission..
    Those idiots that get on the telly, expressing their disbelief because someone has dared to strike. If the strike upsets their plans, it's 'outrageous demands'; if they're the ones picketing they expect everyone to come out in sympathy. Why can't folk learn appreciate the fact that if we didn't have emergency services, teachers, hospital cleaners, dustmen, postal workers, supermarket shelf stackers, hauliers, etc etc etc NONE of us would have the ability to do the things we do.
    In the words of the Great Aleksandr...seemples!
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    There have been burglaries in our village recently.

I think I posted this before but last jan, thieves tried to steal our car..... twice. The first time they were scared off by neighbours, nobody saw anything but we had a smashed side window. Although I only had to pay the excess its money I could ill afford. The second time I'd come back on my own and went straight from the car to the house. I didn't stop. When I looked outside a few minutes later I saw coloured gloves (a pair) in my driveway. Where they were and how they had landed wasn't as though they'd blown in (police suggestion) and they weren't together as though they'd fallen out of someones pocket. There were footsteps in the snow. I did go out to check, and photograph the gloves (I'd called the police) but if the neighbours had seen me they would have freaked as I was carrying my largest kitchen knife. The police that came were useless but they passed it on to the ones actually investigating it and other car thefts in our area (a lot they reckoned were targetted from where I worked). They said I'd been lucky as the thieves were obviously waiting and were hoping to snatch the keys off me. We now have cameras and extra security lights so if anyone is where they shouldn't be they'll be caught on camera. Might seem overkill but it gives me peace of mind.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • pineapple
    Options
    Just changing tack for the moment - a heads up for a Channel 4 programme next Tuesday 11 December
    'Is our weather getting worse?'
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/is-our-weather-getting-worse/episode-guide/series-1/episode-1
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have very little of value thank god so fingures crossed i dont get burgled however id know pretty much straight away who it was. the only thing of real value i have is my tv which is very well secured on the wall..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Little tip I was given by the police to deter burglars. Have ornaments, plants etc on window ledges. They are looking to get in and out quick. If you have a side gate, padlock it (in this weather remember to give it a good spray of wd40 so it won't seize up).
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • pineapple
    Options
    mcjordi wrote: »
    i have very little of value thank god so fingures crossed i dont get burgled however id know pretty much straight away who it was. the only thing of real value i have is my tv which is very well secured on the wall..
    Here's hoping a sympathetic burglar replaces my aging CRT! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport