PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Popperwell wrote: »
    Knowing the Housing Association wants to visit has made me rush my tidying up but hopefully it will look ok by the time they visit. Lots to throw out but I was taking my time. But though I am clearing out items, if anyone visited right this minute it really looks a tip.

I had to do a couple of little DIY tasks too...and spend money I could've done without spending but I managed to get some sand paper, brushes, matt emulsion, radiator paint, white spirit, plaster for approx £18 I thought it was going to cost me more than that so I suppose I am pleased. If I can stay put next year I need a new bed, sofa, curtains and carpets but I won't spend until I know what the situation is.

But you know I don't own that much really...some books, CD's, PC, bed, sofa, tv, radio, fridge/freezer, tumble drier and my kitchen gadgets. So really the house is not that cluttered or won't be when I get rid of the clutter that has built up. I agree about it being nice to have space and be able to rech everything easily. Hope I will always have room for my food store.

Yeah they visitied me not that long ago the same time as they were ripping the kitchen apart. Ive budgetted for the increase in payments for rent so if push came to shove i could stay here till i found work.
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    mcjordi,
    I think I can stay as long as they don't stop my money or it doesn't reduce too much. I think I have a cushion for around a year anyhow but I have forms to fill in for the DWP and may have to attend one of those medicals. So it is a worry.

And I will be affected by the Bedroom Tax in April. But I have been told not to/stop worrying until we see how things work out. That is from the few friends I have, the CAB, Welfare Rights, the Housing Association and the DWP itself.

It will be tight but not necessarily impossible.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Have hail and torrential rain again...it's not looking good for a peaceful nights sleep......grrrrrrr!

Latest news filtering through from my amateur forecast friends..... they all say that the UK may well have an arctic cold spell with temperatures in the day barely reaching freezing point and very low temperatures at night. They also think this could stall over the UK and last for quite a long time. I am waiting for details from them but it looks like it could be towards the mid/end of next week. I will post details when I have them. They say it could well be like the last bad winter with a deep freeze and heavy snow falls. Good time to stock up folks!
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Whoopity whoop, I know I shouldn't rejoice at the misfortune of others, but it seems the S has hit my Ex's fan big time. He has been stopped from fraudulently claiming benefit, I has been trying to get him stopped for years by reporting him, but to no avail, but he has now been stopped & I'm so happy.
    Also all the paperwork has been sighed, sealed & delivered & we now have 3 more grandchildren, our til they are 18 & over.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    As said on another thread SHTF around 12.20 today here...the electric went off. It came back approx an hour later but yes I did not have any hot water in the flasks, I was not hungry as it happened but I had access to water, UHT milk or fruit juice and could make sandwiches.

My worry was had it gone on for hours all my valued yellow stickered items would be lost in the freezer. I only use one light at night and yet I was happy the power cut happened before night set in even though I can use torches and candles/tealights.

It affected most of the town including the shops.

MOst food will stay frozen for up to 16 hours if the door is kept shut if the power goes. Even if it defrosts you can use it like its fresh. If its not cooked meat then you can cook it then put it back in the freezer when its cooked...for instance if it was frozen raw mince and it defrosts you can cook it when you have power then put it in the freezer in portions of things like shepherds pie or spag bog.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • 2tonsils
    Options
    Oh....looks like a SHTF moment is coming up very soon in Greece...this is just breaking news I have been sent...

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2012/12/06/sp-cut-greeces-long-term-debt-rating-from-ccc-to-selective-default/
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mcjordi,
    I think I can stay as long as they don't stop my money or it doesn't reduce too much. I think I have a cushion for around a year anyhow but I have forms to fill in for the DWP and may have to attend one of those medicals. So it is a worry.

And I will be affected by the Bedroom Tax in April. But I have been told not to/stop worrying until we see how things work out. That is from the few friends I have, the CAB, Welfare Rights, the Housing Association and the DWP itself.

It will be tight but not necessarily impossible.

The bloke who used to be my housing officer now works about 5 miles down the road from me in NA (im guessing thats where you are PW?) Jeff you call him. canny bloke said to me its all wrong this bedroom tax and he said aprils a while off yet and a lot can happen ia couple of months.
    He was the one that came over my neck of the woods to do the visits
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    You're right:)and generally all have been supportive. Strange times ahead indeed. Some who work for the HA are affected too.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, I survived the Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon. Nice to know I can outwalk the Zombies!

I even came home with a foil blanked to protect me from the rays/storm/ wrap up the turkey in.

My blisters hurts.

When I was out doing the shopping (because you know that the husband and sons ate out of the pantry while I was away) a light snow turned into a blizzard. 15 cm in under two hours and white out conditions for driving. So the pantry is full and the weather is foul.

Hope everyone is well and safe from the weather.
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    HHester:-:rotfl::j

Crazy on the roads here last night, everywhere was blocked due to accidents in the snow. It took my DD three hours to do a half hour journey!:(
    Stay safe and warm today everyone.
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure