PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's such a good idea Animal Tribe, I've seen people in colder climates like Russia in documentaries on TV growing onions in those wide topped vessels that are meant for hyacinth bulbs with their roots dangling in the water for green shoots in the winter for their vitamin content, that would work with any onions that sprout in storage , so sensible in the depths of winter to freshen up the taste of dishes made from stored foods, thank you!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I bet we could learn a lot from Russian peasants if only we could lay hands on one lol - esp up here with limited scope for growing stuff. Although hydroponics seem big up north but too much of a faff for me.
    I would like to find more books on old style Scots diet, going back 100-200 years. I only have one book about that but the food in it is still very familiar to me. Scotch broth with barley and stew with turnips in.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fascinating! I missed Animal Tribe's linkie to leaf curd, thanks for reposting it, mila.

Those hyacinth glasses! We grew those when I was little, the only plant that ever made it inside the house. What an interesting idea :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A ton of celandine has come up in my cottage garden. Anyone want it?
    It's an old remedy for piles...;)
    Allegedly
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    According to the foraging books celandine leaves from the Lesser Celandine, the common one with those beautiful bright yellow flowers that are out now, are edible BEFORE they flower but not after. The roots were apparently used to treat piles according to the Doctrine of Simples because they look the same!!!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love celandines :) I think it's because I associate them with long walks in the country with my Dad when I was little.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    According to the foraging books celandine leaves from the Lesser Celandine, the common one with those beautiful bright yellow flowers that are out now, are edible BEFORE they flower but not after. The roots were apparently used to treat piles according to the Doctrine of Simples because they look the same!!!

Strangely both Lesser and Greater Celandine (no relation) are used to treat piles.
    Greater has a range of other uses in herbal medicine.
    The early leaves of Lesser Celandine are rich in vitamin C and some people add them to salads for this reason. However older leaves (post flowering?) contain irritants that may well help dry a wound but can cause swelling and a burning itching sensation been there, I don't intend trying it again unless I'm at risk of scurvy.
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I bet we could learn a lot from Russian peasants if only we could lay hands on one lol - esp up here with limited scope for growing stuff. Although hydroponics seem big up north but too much of a faff for me.
    I would like to find more books on old style Scots diet, going back 100-200 years. I only have one book about that but the food in it is still very familiar to me. Scotch broth with barley and stew with turnips in.

Russian Pesant would drive you madder than the RV, they have a bad habit of cossack dancing in the dead of night when they are happy[ don't ask, my feet hurt remembering that night]. The fast growing turnip, beetroot and radish are quite popular, radish to give a heat/pepper taste and roasted turnip/beetroot/carrot is a tasty mix, wish I could rememder the grain it was served with........:drool::drool:
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 April 2016 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Buckwheat!!! it's related to Japanese knotweed, bistort and RHUBARB!!!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    boultdj wrote: »
    Russian Pesant would drive you madder than the RV, they have a bad habit of cossack dancing in the dead of night when they are happy[ don't ask, my feet hurt remembering that night]. The fast growing turnip, beetroot and radish are quite popular, radish to give a heat/pepper taste and roasted turnip/beetroot/carrot is a tasty mix, wish I could rememder the grain it was served with........:drool::drool:

I'd guess the grain dish would be Kasha. In the UK that tends to mean Buckwheat, but it could easily be barley, rye or other cereals, either whole grain or groats cooked into a "porridge" in milk or water. (I've also come across a "posh" version cooked in chicken stock with small onions).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport