PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What ever it was nuatha it was very tasty and filling without being a 'bloat' type of felling.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    boultdj wrote: »
    What ever it was nuatha it was very tasty and filling without being a 'bloat' type of felling.

I'd assume buckwheat then, wonderful stuff, its really versatile, can be grown at altitude, as a second crop or even in short growing seasons. We've been eating it for about 8,000 years, its gluten free and can even be turned into beer and whisky, though porridges, breads and pancakes are more common.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cappella wrote: »
    For me it would be pepper, coriander and cumin, though we have successfully grown coriander so maybe that wouldn't be a problem?

Mustard seed and myrtle berries are both easy to grow in the UK and have a peppery taste when ground.

Myrtle leaves can also be used like bay leaves, and the flowers can be used to make alcohol.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    If you lot think I'm adding roast beetroot and turnip to my porridge then you can bloody well think again. If it's going to come to that then Zombies take me now, I'm yours!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    If you lot think I'm adding roast beetroot and turnip to my porridge then you can bloody well think again. If it's going to come to that then Zombies take me now, I'm yours!!
    :p Nonsense, Mardatha, roast beetroot is luvverly. In fact, I'm still harvesting and eating the 2015 beetroot crop. Admittedly, I wouldn't put it in porridge, but then again, I wouldn't put salt in mine either, and some regard that as an acceptable practice.

Nasturtium grows well as an annual plant in the UK and self-seeds very freely. It's green seedpods can be pickled like capers. Not that I have ever found it necessary to pickle a caper, but the information may be of assistance to someone. The leaves are lovely and peppery and the flowers are edible, too, if you like colourful salads and I admit to being game for a laugh.

The very common weed known as 'fat hen' was a staple of the neolithic diet and I may have the neolithic farmsteads which are known to have been where our allotments are now to blame for its absolute infestation of my site. You can eat it as greens or let it set seeds and these can be parched and ground into a meal.

Howsomever, no one could possibly eat as much fat hen as my allotment likes to produce naturally.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't tell mardatha, but you can add grated beetroot to chocolate cake mix. Chocolate and beetroot brownies are luvverly!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    Options
    ;) S'OK, I won't tell if you won't.

Beetroot's fabby stuff. It's been such a mild winter that the ones I sowed late in the summer and didn't have enough pots to pickle have sat outside happily all winter. My curled parsley even overwintered, which I've never known to happen before.

It's so nice to be able to harvest stuff off the allotment in the Hungry Gap months.

It's reckoned that colourful veg are extremely nutritious so be sure to get you colours in. My dinner's so bright I gotta wear shades.

Akshully, I did include beetroot in my breakfast salad today.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I can't even look at the stuff. Sends my stomach into revolt.
    It's against the law to put anything but salt and cream into porridge!!! I thought you all knew that!
    If anybody has any home remedies for trig neuralgia then please tell me. Spent so long flat on couch with a HWB to my lug that half my face is broiled.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's against the law to put anything but salt and cream into porridge!!! I thought you all knew that!

Salt & cream I can go along with, in porridge that's been soaked overnight. But apple butter, or crab apple jelly & a shake of cinnamon, are rather good too - not oversweet, nicely tangy, a proper wake-you-up & fill-you-up taste.
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I make porridge with dried cherries in it in the winter and a slug of maple syrup on top and in the warmer months we have porridge with fresh berries on top, whatever we've grown that's ready.

I also often make Swedish Rice Porridge which is lovely and that's served with a knob of butter in the top and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, very tasty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure