PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning, all! This quote turned up; it's from author Alan Moore and I thought of you.

"The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless."
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Witless wrote: »
    I'm obviously just a paranoid old [STRIKE]fart[/STRIKE] semi prepper.

I use an approximate DoB and 'throway' email address for all sites and very rarely post anything overtly personal in public, job specific advice is offered by PM.

Goes back to yochurt knitting & tinfoil hat construction.:)
    :) Don't go away, pet, it's a broad church and just because we disagree about some things, it doesn't make any one person's POV more or less valued than others. I joined MSE from a throwaway account, too. Which I threw away last year after it got hacked, LOL, part of the mass Yah00 hackathon. Please stay.

Am off to w*rk now, laters GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Could that quote be modified to include and 'modern man lives in it too' please, that would be the sprinkles on the icing on the cake....... watch this space eh?
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Too right. A couple of years ago, I was invited to blog on our city's daily newspaper's website, by the editor. I read the T & C and they would have the copyright and I'd do the blogging for free. Now, if they'd wanted to hire me as a freelance columnist, I'd've been more than happy to oblige, but that wasn't the offer.

Couldn't really see why that newspaper (which is part of one of the biggest print media groups in the UK) should have my work for free, so respectfully declined. Although I know MSE exerts copyright over the forum posts, I can't really see that most of what we do here would be able to be monetized, although that doesn't mean it's valueless; far from it.

I only post original recipes after they are published elsewhere under my own copyright - if MSE chooses to make an issue of it then I'll stop posting.
    This is one of the few places I post anything regularly and the value I get from other posters is its own reward. I used to write a column for a regional paper, a change in the management structure gave me the offer of adding restaurant reviews and the like at my own expense and halved the rate I was being paid for the main column and they were surprised when I resigned.
    Witless wrote: »
    I'm obviously just a paranoid old [STRIKE]fart[/STRIKE] semi prepper.

I use an approximate DoB and 'throway' email address for all sites and very rarely post anything overtly personal in public, job specific advice is offered by PM.

Goes back to yochurt knitting & tinfoil hat construction.:)

Any email address I use publicly is disposable and I carefully consider just how much personal information I ever release. I would never consider a forum's PM system to be secure.
    There again I'm professionally paranoid - IT Security is a large part of what I do.
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • paidinchickens
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    PIC you shouldn't have given him your address. But what you could do now is invite him round to discuss it and have some of your hubby's bigger nastier mates in the house waiting. I don't have any faith in the police really, they tend to be a waste of time (unless you're a motorist/biker and they need to up their catch rate).
    Re frost and plants. my last frost date is 1st June. At this time of year I get very twitchy listening to you lot being busy planting stuff!

I thought by law you had to exchange details so just gave them to him. DH has not got any mates like that, or many left at all since he became sick.

I'm not worried about anyone coming round because you lot have prepared me for anything and if they get past the six foot gates and the four hounds I have a few more surprises (death by newspaper)

We rang the police after it happened and they said as there was no injuries it didn't need reporting.

The problem is if you even ring your insurance company they log the accident and your policies are 8uggered for the next 5 years, which we would take on the chin if it was our fault.

I had someone reverse into my last car and write it off, they were totally to blame as I was stationary but it has put my insurance up for the last five years, plus I'm named driver on two other cars.

Saying this I stand by my claim that I would gladly pay higher insurance for something that is not my fault than pay a little irk 50p to replace an iota for something that was not our fault.

What I can't understand is how he begged at the scene for the insurance not to get involved as he had already claimed too many times.

People :mad:

PiC x
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    Sun is shining but freezing cold. Birds have made a right mess of my flower beds lol plucking worms out,I have food out for them but they continue to pluck.car was frozen this morning had to get kettle of cold water on windscreen to do school run. I can feel spring coming when the sun is out ooooooh I can't wait to get into my garden and start planting. I have a major problem with slugs just in one part of garden it's where I had lettuce,cabbages growing last year so this year o going to just grow stuff that grows under the ground carrots,turnips,onions,scallion do you think this would deter them or is that wishful thinking I was going to grow my lettuces Nd cabbages in my wooden cloches and close the lids at night as there no gaps for them to squeeze through advice please and thanks in advance
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Just an aside: I use film canisters to keep seeds in, just the job!
    HC
    Normal people worry me.
  • katep23
    katep23 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PIC, I think you only have 24 hours in which to inform your insurance company of an accident. Whilst it will put your insurance up it does mean that if he threatens you, you can just tell him that you've already informed your insurers so you're happy to let them sort it out. If he hasn't informed his that is his problem.

I know it puts your insurance up as it happened to me too, some idiot ran into the back of me whilst I was sat at a red traffic light. I informed my insurers but didn't specifically report it on OH's policy which I was a named driver on as it was with the same company. When his renewal came through and he called them and mentioned the accident it put his premium up by £80 even though the claim was settled in full in my favour.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PIC it may have been Daddy's or someone else's car. I would still ring the police about his threats and insist on an incident number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport