PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options
    Went into £land this morning and got three more tins of sliced beef in gravy for the store cupboard, it actually is quite nice and dated to Dec 2016 and we all know that it will last longer than that ;)

As for TTIP and TAFTA are the most dangerous threat to us, our lives will now be owned by the US corporate kleptocracies and we won't be able to stop it.

Our traitorous politicians should swing for what they have done.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/04/us-trade-deal-full-frontal-assault-on-democracy

Thank you, it seems I'm out of date with companies suing governments.
    jk0 wrote: »
    The recent controversy regarding whether Scotland will continue to use the pound made me wonder if it might mean Scottish Banks would be safer:

If they will no longer be bailed out by the Bank of England, won't they be less inclined to take silly risks with their money? They won't be able to lend money out of thin air by writing the numbers in someone's account. They will only be able to lend monies that someone has saved. (Rather like building societies used to be.)

Am I wrong?

Not if they continue to lend £10 or more for every £1 deposited.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 February 2014 at 7:51PM
    Options
    nuatha wrote: »

Not if they continue to lend £10 or more for every £1 deposited.

Well that's my point. Do you remember the film 'It's a Wonderful life'? The drunk uncle lost the Savings & Loan firm $9000 while he was taking it to the bank.

He actually had to take physical cash across the road, in order to make the transaction. Physical cash cannot be created out of nothing.

Now okay, maybe once that cash makes its way back to the 'Savings & Loan' part of it can be lent again. However, I guess a prudent reserve ratio might be 6:1, not 80:1 which is what the present system of central bank support gives.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well that's my point. Do you remember the film 'It's a Wonderful life'? The drunk uncle lost the Savings & Loan firm $9000 while he was taking it to the bank.

He actually had to take physical cash across the road, in order to make the transaction. Physical cash cannot be created out of nothing.

Now okay, maybe once that cash makes its way back to the 'Savings & Loan' part of it can be lent again. However, I guess a prudent reserve ratio might be 6:1, not 80:1 which is what the present system of central bank support gives.

Though banks are probably lending considerably more than 10 times deposits. Some of the big German banks are lending more than 66 times capital. RBS will probably move its HQ to London anyway, the bank would mean that Scotland would have to do an Iceland or risk being stripped of all its oil in the event of another crash.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Options

Actually, producing physical cash out of nothing is what various governments have been doing for quite a while. Having real assets to back your money went when we came off the gold standard, now you just need to decide to print more notes - though the various banks don't need that much physical cash, since most transactions are nothing more than database entries.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On a different note, did anyone pick up on this episode last week http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03vc2rw/Britains_Great_War_The_Darkest_Hour/?

Someone has eaten the thanks button again??????
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Robert Peston on China's economy, 9 o'clock tonight on Beeb2 - could be interesting ....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03w7gxt
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK you lot - will you STOP posting up details of free kindle books!!!!!
    My house is a tip, I'm struggling at work because I'm up so late reading and just as I get to the end of my supply someone recommends another swathe of freebies.:p
    Not impressed. It would be rude not to take a freebie and I have to read.
    You know who you are - please stop - now i'm going back to finish Final Epidemic (stocked up on lemsip & anti-bac gel):D

By the way - have you seen about the flu in America :(
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( Nipped into the library on the way back from archery class and there was a big screen doing a live feed from Kiev. OMG, couldn't make out much from the ticker line, was being badly translated from a Russian speaker but it spoke of hundreds dead.

Am thinking of a Ukrainian woman in this city, an allotment neighbour, and wondering how she is tonight with all this news breaking.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ClootiesMum
    ClootiesMum Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Want a laugh? I'm off to work tomorrow with axe and lump hammer in tow (real ones inherited from grandparents & parents). This may not seem funny until you realise that:-
    This is to break up a wardrobe door from a "normal" house
    I work for a bank

I'm lending the weapons in exchange for their dead shed that I will burn on wood burner...

But if the headlines tomorrow advise that a raid was carried out on a bank back office area using an axe and a lump hammer - you will stand up for me?? Please;)
    Debts 07/12/2021
    #280/#310.08/#450/#575.47/#750/#1000/#1200/#1848.83
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)clootiesmum, I suspect that the Polis could deem that to be 'going equipped'. We'll speak up for ya if necessary as only fellow oldstylers would know the irresistable allure of free sheds, dead or alive.

I had a fantabulous archery session and Teach has decided that I should be upgraded from a 64 inch bow to a 68 inch bow. Having a go with that and then we got out the longbows and the proper wooden arrows with the proper goose feathers on them.

:D I am a bit of dab hand with a longbow, if I say so meself. A wonderment that I can be more accurate with a less accurate weapon without sights on it, but there you go. Teach says it's because I'm not overthinking it. Archery is a funny old business, elegant and intellectual.

:p Well, I lower the tone, obs, especially when I discovered that I had one of the special arrows with the whistle built into the point. They make a high-pitched WHEEEEE noise when you shoot them. That's never a noise you want to hear accelerating towards you. I was grinning like a loon and bouncing about, it was such fun.

I have also borrowed the Russel Crowe Robin Hood film as it's supposed to be about the only film featuring decent archery. Most films have bows and arrows doing things which are physical impossibilites, even in the hands of experts. Teach knows the lucky archer who was flown out to Oz to teach Mr Crowe to shoot on his own ranch (and is just a tad envious that he didn't get that gig himself).

Archery is seriously fun and has lots of cool toys and interesting people. It's a whole subculture. I bet some of them are closet preppers, too.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills