PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody know if Hannah Hauxwell is still living? I have her book and CDs. Nice lady.
    I notice a lot of the older people I've lived beside tend to go to bed much earlier in winter - they grew up without electricity and its a habit. I wonder if humans are maybe programmed to do this and we've altered our behaviour with tv and internet, sitting watching it for 5 hours at night - when in the old days we would be catching up on sleep. Maybe that's one of the reasons why there's so much depression/stress/syndromes?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 August 2013 at 10:22AM
    Options
    Circadian rhythms MAR that's what it's all about. We're programmed to sleep when it's dark and be up with the sun in the morning. It causes all sorts of problems when humankind alter the pattern by having artificial light and entertainment when it's dark outside, no wonder lots of us have problems these days with our modern lifestyles, maybe the cavemen knew best eh? Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Well I have to say the old country folk I'm talking about were all, without exception, very calm, grounded, and serene people..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    See I knew there had to be a plus side to the idea of the energy supply being disrupted with rolling power outages, we'll all be lots healthier and happier if we're up with the lark and to bed with the sunset eh? Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Erm... up with the lark might give me a wee problem there MrsL. Can we have a later lark ?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fuddle
    I got measured by bravissima as 38 F maybe FF and found bras from there and brastop quite expensive.

If you can get to a Boyses shop (Redcar, Whitby, York etc) they have some much bigger sizes. I got one that should have been about £30 for £4 so very chuffed.

Thriftwizard

I has not heard of apple butter before. How do you make it?

Wave hello to hauxwell and Kate :hello:

Going to have a browse on AF website and get stocked up a bit on the cheap if I can as well as trying some things that are new to us at a price I don't feel worried I hate them.

With DH likely to be making a lot of hospital visits soon I want to make a start that does not involve him driving me round. Just glad I managed to nip his "wonderful idea" re health firmly in the bud a few days ago as it was the opposite of what was wise. I know they have to offer choices but when someone only hears what they want to hear then thank heavens I was there and dd has a lot of medical knowledge to back me up.

Hug to all and see you later.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • hauxwell
    hauxwell Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Mar, Hannah Hauxwell is indeed still alive. She was 87 at the beginning of the month.

Here is a fairly modern tv programme of her youtube.com/watch?v=vOQFrq09IqA
    (shove a www at the beginning as I can't post links yet)
  • BessieBooBoo
    Options
    Hello to Kat, Kate, and Hauxwell! :)

And anyone else I might have missed...
    Nice to see (read) you....

I hope you enjoy all our ramblings, some people have a lot to contribute e.g. GreyQueen, Mrs LurcherWalker, especially have a lot of common sense, whilst I am just a novice at this, but enjoying learning.

Come back and let us know how you are getting on with prepping; but remember it's a long stint, don't worry if there are times when you can't manage anything (especially if you are juggling children, jobs, running a house).

Sometimes I struggle to do preptastic things and there's only myself, OH and crazed dog. Life can get in the way - what's that saying 'Man plans, God laughs'. He has certainly had a lot of blummin' giggling at my expense... I digress...

I try to think of it in layers, like an onion, the first, centre layer is immediate personal SHTF e.g. power cut. What would I want to hand in the short term? (Think alternate light, heat, cooking, extra blankets, maybe board or card games for youngsters).

The next layer maybe job loss. What would I like to have? E.g. enough food to feed us all for at least a few weeks, until possible benefits kick in. Some savings (working on that one) to pay the bills, especially if we don't meet the criteria. Even simple things like updating a CV if you hear rumours about redundancies, and networking. Some emergency cash if we need travel expenses for interviews (sometimes can claim these back?).

Then start thinking about wider issues, read, research if you get the time, look at what's going on locally, nationally, globally. Look at other prepper sites, see what their guidelines are for prepping in different scenarios.

Once you start it can be a bit mind-blowing. For instance, I just had to watch that documentary on super storms, didn't I...! Yeesh... Where's a dinghy when you need one?

Good luck and good prepping!

BBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    Prepper and saver: novice level. :A #81 Save 12k in 2013! £3.009.00/£12,000
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have no worries MAR I'm reliably informed that the lesser spotted (it's very shy!) Ecosse Mountain Lark rises much later than its lowland counterparts, in fact it's got the ability to be programmed to rise 1 and a half hours after sunrise and to sing very softly for another hour after that. You have to leave two things out to ensure this happening, a good glass of whisky in the evening to ensure birdy sleep and a crushed paracetamol in the morning to cure his headache which will in a lark take precisely 1 hour whereupon he will sing beautifully because he's feeling so much better at exactly the time you would like to wake up!!! Will that do? Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Hello to all. I read with interest the posts regarding BMI, size/weight and bra sizing as I am and always have been a BIG girl. Far too big these days for my liking but I can't get out and about so much. In fact am classed as obese :eek:. The weight does not help the old Arthur-itis at all.

I need to get as much prepared as poss before winter sets in in case we get snow/ice and am unable to get out for a few days. Although I live quite close to town/shops my balance is poor and am terrified of falling. Once that's done I can begin to take a more serious look at long term prepping. I'm in the process of clearing out a lot of rubbish in order to have more room for stores.

Can anyone give me more info - or direct me to more - about Bug Out Bag please?
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure