PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Surveyor undervalued our house by £15k (Arggh!)

Options
Our buyers undertook a basic mortgage valuation. The results of the survey were that they recommended the bank only lend £200k to the buyer against the property (£15k lower than the accepted offer).

Does this mean the house is only worth £200k on the open market or is it that the surveyor is being over-cautious on the bank's behalf and covering their exposure on any future house price drops?

At the same time, the survey we have done on our intended property (Homebuyer's survey) has also come back stating their valuation is £25k lower than our accepted offer.

My main questions are these - is the Homebuyer's survey telling us the actual market worth whereas the basic mortgage valuation only states what the bank should advance as opposed to the market value?

Secondly, we don't think the valuer's assessment is fair on our sale property(if it does indicate market value). There are many other examples in our locale with similar prices and even assuming 95% offers being accepted they are still higher than £200k. Is there anything we can do to counter their assessment (e.g. complain to RICS)

Cheers MSEers, I hope you have the advice we need!

Comments

• PROFESSIONAL_LANDLORD
    Options
    Surveyor's opinion ! another could easily value more or less , Few months ago had a survey carried out by collliers (HBOS) for a BTL under valued at least £15000 ! In Scotland Surveyors play ball with estate agents ( within reason ) If they diden't, buyers would have to find bigger deposits for their purchase , E A would lose their fees and they would not get instructed. A FARCE

Don't think there is much U can do.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    balfralf wrote: »

Does this mean the house is only worth £200k on the open market or is it that the surveyor is being over-cautious on the bank's behalf and covering their exposure on any future house price drops?

A mixture of both.

Surveyors have to investigate the actual sold price of similar properties in the area and allow for house price inflation. So in your case there may of been one or two very similar properties that sold within the last 2 months for 25K less than the price of your house is valued at. (This happened to a friend approx. 7 years ago. She had to increase her deposit to cover some of the short fall.)

My main questions are these - is the Homebuyer's survey telling us the actual market worth whereas the basic mortgage valuation only states what the bank should advance as opposed to the market value?

All surveys have a market valuation aspect for the bank.

The bank doesn't need to know the particular faults in the house unless they are so major which will then decrease the value of the house i.e. subsidence, property made of concrete. The bank just needs to know that that if the people (you) they lend the money to default they can get all their money back.

Secondly, we don't think the valuer's assessment is fair on our sale property(if it does indicate market value). There are many other examples in our locale with similar prices and even assuming 95% offers being accepted they are still higher than £200k. Is there anything we can do to counter their assessment (e.g. complain to RICS)
    You can't but some estate agents manage to. I suggest talking to your EA.

Professional opinions are just that professional opinions. The majority of people who make professional opinions can back up their claims.

Have a look at the house price sites e.g. nethouseprices.com to view land registry prices. (They are out of date due to the time it takes for properties to get on the land registry.)
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There 1 thread a week like this now on here.
  • Mark_petty
    Mark_petty Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar issue with my old flat.

We agreed to sell it for £195k but there mortgage valuation came back as £170k (£25k short)
    We had 3 people who wanted the flat at this point all willing to pay £195k so it was very frustrating.

The buyer kept saying we had to drop the price. I said to him he either goes through another lender or we sell to someone else.

In the end he went through another lender and it was valued at £195k :)

They lost £250 on the valuation fees but they got the flat in the end.

So to cut a long story short if you believe it to be worth x amount DO NOT BUDGE ON PRICE

Do what I did and get print outs of similar properties going for more etc and hand it over to your buyers
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • helenandkev
    Options
    I have my home on the market at the moment and have had a valuation recently done on it. I obtained a copy of the report and it has been undervalued by £9,000! Now either the estate agents where I live have got the prices all wrong or the valuers are trying to drive the house prices down on the market. I can only guess how they have arrived at their conclusions as they will not divulge, my guess is that they are basing it on 2 sales of houses which are not the same size house and were both repossessions and in a bad state of repair.

You would think in the current property climate that they should be trying to encourage people to buy decent homes, not stagnating it. :(
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    They don't care about that and I really don't think they should in any case. All they care about is protecting the lender's interests. What would you want if you were a lender, lend £200k on a house valued at £180k in a falling market? I know I wouldn't!
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Much of the current credit crunch and recession is down to banks lending on overvalued property (here and in the US). I can see why they are being a little cautious now.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have my home on the market at the moment and have had a valuation recently done on it. I obtained a copy of the report and it has been undervalued by £9,000! Now either the estate agents where I live have got the prices all wrong or the valuers are trying to drive the house prices down on the market. I can only guess how they have arrived at their conclusions as they will not divulge, my guess is that they are basing it on 2 sales of houses which are not the same size house and were both repossessions and in a bad state of repair.

You would think in the current property climate that they should be trying to encourage people to buy decent homes, not stagnating it. :(

They haven't undervalued it.

They have valued it. You just don't like the value.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you can write £10k off most prices ... EAs 'value' properties above what they're worth, expecting people to offer less and the butter up the current owner so they get the business.

On the telly EAs always say stuff like "market it at £190k ... to try to get £180k ...." and similar.

Congratulations on resurrecting a 3 year old thread though :)
    I thought Nelly was back!
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you can write £10k off most prices ... EAs 'value' properties above what they're worth, expecting people to offer less and the butter up the current owner so they get the business.

On the telly EAs always say stuff like "market it at £190k ... to try to get £180k ...." and similar.

Congratulations on resurrecting a 3 year old thread though :)
    I thought Nelly was back!

:rotfl:So did I.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family