Premium Rate Text Fraud

Options
I just received my mobile bill from Virgin who claimed I had spent 10p on a chargeable text to 61610 at 23.55 on 22 Jun 2012 and this had authourised the supplier (INTRUGO LTD intrugo.com Tel. 02070990376) to send me a pair of £1.50 Premium Rate Texts misleadingly labelled '700035628' each week. Intrugo Ltd claimed to have sent these for 3 consecutive weeks untl 7 July 2012. Total bill £9.10. I never actually received any premium rate texts - because my Dell Android 2.3Smart phone suddenly started reporting 'out of text memory, unable to receive texts' even though I have deleted almost old text message threads. VirginMobile have billed me for Premium Rate Texts that never reached my phone!

Intrugo Ltd claimed I signed up to be charged £3 a week to be supplied with 'blue pills' by texting YES. Not only did I not text YES (or have any need of 'blue pills') but they allege that I failed to complete their sign up process by texting my name and address and so they were unable to post the pills! Intrugo Ltd has now promised they have deleted my number from their database so no more texts will be sent, and will post me a refund cheque for £9.10 - it seems they can't refund via my Virgin Bill because I am on a monthly contract not PAYG. (Duh?) I wonder if the cheque will ever arrive?

I raised a formal Complaint with Phone Pay PlusTel. 0800 500 212 the Regulator appointed by OFCOM, alleging Fraud. They promised to investigate. It seems I am not the first to register this complaint. They hinted at the possibility that a rogue Google Play Store App innocently downloaded to my Android 2.3 Smartphone might have sent the sign up text without my knowledge. I wonder if such a rogue App could also have generated 'out of text memory reports' which prevented me being aware of these unsolicited incoming Premium Rate Texts until my bill arrived.

Can anyone identify a rogue Android App that does these things, please?

Comments

• thegoodman
    thegoodman Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2012 at 3:49PM
    Options
    It's not just you.
    Over 700,000 people have downloaded malware apps from Google Play over three months
    http://security.cbronline.com/news/android-malware-rocketing-says-trend-micro-050712
    You can reduce this type of apps by following simple steps by asking your self:
    1. Check app rights. For example if weather or game app need a right to make a call or send a text, why. If not sure check with the app developer first.
    2. Read comments by others.
    3. Don't install apps from other app stores.
    4. The app store by Amazon, pre-check them for malware so it is safer then others.
    5. If not sure don't install the app.

I am sure many other Android users here will give you tips to be safe.
  • PJB
    PJB Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah I see that thegoodman has opened a new MSE account!
  • MikeWhite
    MikeWhite Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barramundi wrote: »
    Can anyone identify a rogue Android App that does these things, please?

May I suggest that you review the Permissions of the apps you have installed? Should be easy to spot any that have permission to send a text and don't need it.

Mike
  • thegoodman
    Options
    Also with the Android os you don't need to go to the app store to download the app.
    You may have clicked on the link in an email, website or text message which can also start the installation of malware app.
  • gnus
    gnus Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    thegoodman wrote: »
    Also with the Android os........

At this stage I would suggest you seek medical help with your problem. I suggest the medical practioner first looks at a posible diagnosis of paranoia.
    BEWARE OF AUTO-RENEWAL
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also with the Android os you don't need to go to the app store to download the app.
    You may have clicked on the link in an email, website or text message which can also start the installation of malware app.

That would not happen unless you have disabled the default setting to block third-party software sources and then installed the package yourself.

Economical with the truth again I see.
  • thegoodman
    Options
    anewhope wrote: »
    That would not happen unless you have disabled the default setting to block third-party software sources and then installed the package yourself.

Economical with the truth again I see.
    The truth is malware also get in from Google Play.
    So what you have said is not true
    A breach in the Google Play marketplace saw a number of malicious apps appear. Trend Micro says 17 malicious apps were downloaded over 700,000 times before they were spotted and removed from the site.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The truth is malware also get in from Google Play.
    So what you have said is not true
    A breach in the Google Play marketplace saw a number of malicious apps appear. Trend Micro says 17 malicious apps were downloaded over 700,000 times before they were spotted and removed from the site.

My point is still valid. You have deliberately said something that is factually incorrect with the intention to mislead.

Malicious applications originating from within official app stores is another matter entirely.
  • thegoodman
    edited 12 July 2012 at 3:27PM
    Options
    Only safe place to download apps is the Amazon App Store (soon)
    All apps are pre checked before release so you will have very less chance of malware.
    Otherwise, the Android security landscape is feeling more and more like the mobile market's Wild West
  • gnus
    gnus Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Only safe place to download apps is the Amazon App Store (soon)
    All apps are pre checked before release so you will have very less chance of malware.
    Otherwise, the Android security landscape is feeling more and more like the mobile market's Wild West

Total garbage. All apps can be checked by products released by companies such as Avast, Dr Web, F-Secure, Ikarus, Kaspersky, Zoner and Lookout, and all those apps are reliable.

Only a fool believes his device is free from malware, and that goes across the spectrum of devices, but moreso with the iphone, because people such as yourself think they are sooooooooooo good and can't possibly be infected. That stance is being reactive, NOT proactive, and being reactive is sometimes too late.
    BEWARE OF AUTO-RENEWAL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport