PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Options

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    katieowl wrote: »
    Bu&&er. I just called the NHS exemption helpline as we'd not had new cards this year. Apparently we are not entitled any more, unless OH is getting a pension credit and no one bothered to tell us!!! Anyone know how much it is to have had a tooth out??? :eek:

Kate

Hi Kate :wave:
    My son has been told to apply for low income exemption as he needs a crown, band 3 £200+ :eek: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx Could this be of use to you too?

work contract for 16 hours at NMW sometimes get 25, not enough for working tax credits and he's supporting his partner too who lost her part time job after xmas whilst studying at college fulltime.
    After fares there are some months he would be better off signing on, but he lives in hope of full time eventually and his GF being able to find a job too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I will not look at Kemps
    I will not look at Kemps
    I will not look at kemps
    I will not look at Kemps

I will not....

Back soon :D

exactly what I said----and it didn`t work!!!

I oven baked (in my diddy £19.99 table top oven ) a couple of slices of pork belly that had arrived in my 4 weekly meat box. Wow, it was gorgeous, I haven`t eaten pork belly for 30 years. The meat box is great (for me) it is organic and very delicious
    http://www.eversfieldorganic.co.uk/dept/eversfield-organic-monthly-meat-boxes-delivery_d015.htm. More than enough for the two of us plus visitors. Costs £55 every 4 weeks

met office got it all completely wrong in our area, rain and more rain and sometimes heavy. Feels like autumn. Woo hoo wool time and that is the upside :D

Mardatha, the local wheat is for animal feed. Stock is having to be kept in because of the state of the ground so meat production costs will be higher. All this rain will be no good for bread wheat either. Personally I have got a few protein tins in but mainly pasta, rice and all the other stockcupboard items. You need to think potato subs

I was browing last night and came across defra and saw a payment to the local farmer with the wheat fields. Now he is a good farmer and is out several times a year, spraying and the like and then the combines come in. £33,000. Why the heck are they given these payments? That is on top of what he sells the grain for. No wonder he lives in a great big house
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Came back a couple of hours ago from a hospital appointment for DH.

Had a cup of tea and made a sandwich and beans on toast for lunch for us and then assembled individual lasagnes from the bolognese I made yesterday.

Don't know why I did things so early but subconsciously wanted dishes cleared and put in dishwasher. Put load of dishes on quick programme and then made some phone calls re council tax etc.

Just turned on tap in kitchen and no water!! Neighbour is having work done and seems we don't have independant supply so DH will contact water people next week about getting something done. Workmen at neighbours found out after cutting a water pipe that it is now obsolete so neighbour (and us) have no water.

Managed not to point out to DH that I was right about having 2 litre bottles of water in stock cupboard for emergencies and actually have one already in the fridge.

Might have a look at approved food site for good deals on flour ,
    rice, pasta and potatoes.

Hug to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the government should sort out subsidies to farmers whilst they are slashing benefits - many farmers are on very low incomes and live like most of us but some are doing very very well. I dont pretend to know a lot about it but have heard some tales of farmers below the breadline despite a great deal of hard work.

I have my ranitng hat on Im afraid - the bl**dy licence fee..why the heck are we still having to pay it??? Theres not much on the BEEB and apparently they have had to cut back and plough money into the stuff that is watched like costume drama. Its time they made programmes for the people who need helpwith cutting costs and make do and mend - poor Kirsty can't do it all on her own :rotfl:

Guess what ...its flipping pouring down here and when did it start? as soon as I walked out the front gate. Had to get out as I was stir crazy again, home is usually my sanctuary from claustrophobia. Anyway gave myself a talking to after a quick trip to Mr A and am settled again.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    Hi Kate :wave:
    My son has been told to apply for low income exemption as he needs a crown, band 3 £200+ :eek: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx Could this be of use to you too?

work contract for 16 hours at NMW sometimes get 25, not enough for working tax credits and he's supporting his partner too who lost her part time job after xmas whilst studying at college fulltime.
    After fares there are some months he would be better off signing on, but he lives in hope of full time eventually and his GF being able to find a job too.

Thanks Annie, this might be of use to DH who is out of work at the moment - there doesn't seem to be anything which actually tells you how much you need to be earning though!
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    Options
    Fervent37 wrote: »
    Hi Pops you have sparked my memories again. We used to have PLJ and haliborange tablets in the late sixties and you are remembering right your mum would have diluted the PLJ with hot water!

Thank you Fervent,
    I don't have as many memories as I'd like but good to see what I have are correct:)

Not sure why we stopped. I never wanted for anything but I start to think just like today was money tight and so some things were dropped. Then just never taken up again?
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    oh that plj, we all had it as it was supposed to help make you slim

So the over all opinion is that there was some kind of rumour either due to ads on the TV or perhaps in Women's magazines that it was a slimming aid. Mum wasn 't skinny but she was never fat:p

I do remember her reading but again not for many years "Woman's Own" and that's still going. I wonder how that's changed if we looked at it then and now...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Popperwell
    edited 13 July 2012 at 2:54PM
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    What kinds of foods will go up in price because of the bad wheat harvest ? We should stock up now on whatever it is.

Don't look at the list on the stockroom thread whatever you do:pall you can do is think of basics and what you could make a quick meal out of. A friend of mine who used to be in the army often ate out of tins eating the contents cold and on an earlier post Fuddle said she had some tinned items that could be eaten that way...

But of course hopefully the electric and gas won't go off or if they do not for long.

Hence that's why I invested in that camping stove so quick meals could be done, soup or water heated for tea/coffee.

If we don't lose power we'll still have access what is the fridge/freezer.

It was suggested fresh vegetables, cereal, flour, bread may be affected the most(which could also affect meat and mik)

My local Tesco's were apologising that there could be a lack of cauliflowers and yet not too long ago it was said that they were not as popular as they once were.

I found a site with some reasonable items for emergencies that can used in the home or when on survival courses etc...natural disasters but some things are very expensive, there are food items that automatically heat up in the container.

• Popperwell
    Options
    Ellie83 wrote: »
    My kind of day :D Do as I do: I have long lost any hope of finding anything interesting on TV when I am actually able to watch it. Instead, I watch of iplayer/4OD/etc and even have a collection of "feel good" dvds for cosy times. In fact, if it wasn't for my husband's wish of a TV, I would get rid of live TV and stop my direct debit to the TV licence poeple :o

Pity when we quote some of the quotes from others in the post don't show up...As I said to someone on here the other day I watch very little tv now and lately have done my viewing on here...

But in your home country they are trying to introduce an ammendment that would mean watching tv via a pc(live and I assume recorded)in France you will still have pay the license fee. And I bet that will be introduced here eventually.

I do like a lot of BBC Radio though and if I don't buy it then I get free BBC radio and don't give anything towards it's cost as it's included in the license fee.

Still tempted to do without the TV altogether. I almost do now...

• Popperwell
    edited 13 July 2012 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Possession,
    Hope you feel soon...I can't knit either...emo1.gif

Been dull outside all day and have been waiting for the rain we were promised...now the sun has come out...still looks cloudy though...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure