PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

make do and mend for tougher times

Options

Comments

• westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2012 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    Thanks WCS, I'm hoping it will give me some long term options with which I can work around my health issues and tiredness, as well as support my DD emotinally still, and to be able to work in an area I would enjoy. I'm really glad I did my degree although it hasn't got me a job per se, it has given me a good background and helped my confidence. These days degrees aren't job openers as such, but they can be built on.

I started my degree when I was 47, finally got it this summer, and although it didn't lead to my current job it definitely gave me the confidence and impetus to apply for it - I hadn't worked for many years, being a sah mum. I do feel the benefit of it now I am working though, especially when talking to professionals in other areas.

I'm starting a masters later this month - i'm seeing it as insurance for if/when this job goes and I have to look for something else - also as my health issues worsen I'm hoping to earn a little more each hour to allow me to cut down the time I work a little.

Ooh just looking on the book people and I see the Garden Cottage Diaries is only £4 - a lovely book about a lady who lived as in former times.
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What about these micro-organisims for slugs? It's interesting reading about them and they are eco friendly. Just might be an answer to lower the ever advancing enemy.
    Nematodes
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KIDCAT - He who knows has just hollered tell them they need a good depth of compost in the bags, so there you go - consider yourselves told!!!!!!! He he he Lyn xx.

Thanks Mrs LW - we grew potatoes last year and this year in the bags so they should be deep enough, will need to cover them with the wabbits hay in the cold though - not sure how she will feel about sharing her hay!! :D
  • prepareathome
    Options
    Thanks Mrs LW will dig out what bags and pots I can find and hope the greenhouse gives some protection against the blight.

Wind has died down and its actually gone very warm here now at this time.

GQ the slug had not chance of being eaten by its friends or anyone elses as it was picked up,urg with a doggy bag,tied in it and then two more tied round it then smashed with a stone and all put in bin. Everyday now I am checking in case any of it friends come looking for it.

Hopefully word will get back 'Jock went into that big opening they one with the dangly bits hanging doon and vanished never to be seen again, tis the home of the slug basher that big redhead monster. Heed my words young ones near go inta that place for yee'll near come oot again. A terrible place, a Terrrrible place I teal you'

Hugs and Love to allxxx
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • kidcat
    Options
    PAH - if you have any Ikea bags they are ideal for potatoes, we are on our second year of ours, I will be in Ikea later this week if you need any bags picking up and at my parents at the weekend so can drop them off with you. Just let me know how many you need:)
  • schoolhouse
    Options
    Long time(verrry long time) lurker, popping up to say that CRB checks come through pretty quick now Fuddle. I started a job in a pre-school after Easter,the CRB was done online and it came through in about a week. Congratulations on the job:T.
  • kidcat
    Options
    welcome schoolhouse - yes that is true my CRB was back within the week this year, whereas last time it took months literally.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    PAH blimey I'd be gutted losing that many to blight so sorry to hear that:(:(
    Possession our plums have been ready now for a few weeks and they bottle really well if you get stuck for freezer space I stone them and bottle the halves in a light sugar syrup
    Excuse any dodgy posting tnite relegated to IPad..again I really need to get my eyes tested can hardly see what I'm doing but at least I found the ' key at last :rotfl:
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2012 at 7:33PM
    Options
    ginnyknit wrote: »
    Cheapskate, you have to do what is best for you and yours and I think a Mum who isnt exhausted and worried all the time may be best. Just my 2 pennorth - i have been there years ago and I became a very poorly Ginnyknit.

GQ and all my dear friends with ME and Fibro I just hope today is a better day for you all.

Im exhausted, OH has been having nightmares every morning around 6 am - meds? - and I am worn out, he is so sorry when he remembers but he cannot help it.

just running up a cricket buffet for 14 (team and 2 umpires) Its a cup match and someone forgot the visitors needed feeding. Found out at 8pm last night so we ran to Mr T and then I baked till midnight. Luckily they are all veggies so it not too bad. Just the butties to make and packing up and Im done. Oh has learned to keep out of the way unless he is summoned to move things for me. :rotfl:

Re hospital parking, I wouldnt mind if there was a standard or a system that works. One hospital we go to you have to get your ticket validated at the office before you return to the car and there are kerbs and obstacles to scale, ok for us cos Im with him but no chance for an independant disabled person. One place the instructions were only at the exit so you would have to re-park, haul the wheelchair out again and re-negotiate the car park :eek: Even worse if you have just fastened a disabled child in the car and have to take them out and go back to the car park office.

Arhh im sorry to hear your hubby has terrible nightmares, but my hubby does too, they say its his meds as well, but that dont help us do it............

We had the the MRI scan appoinment come this morning weve been waiting months and months for it , its for Sept 13 at 6 pm..!!, So if they are working that late they must be under pressure, scan takes 1 hour so it will definately be dark when we get home..................

This week hubby is in respite so its has been very nice to get some rest up and get the much needed break, Social Services give me 1 week every 4 so im well pleased that as now been sorted out............

Dont know whether he will have anymore botox injections as they dont really seem to be helping as much as they first did , dont think he will ever get the use back, such a shame.....................

I done some jobe out in garden this arvo and then decided to sit in summer house and have a cuppa tea, yea thats right I fell asleep for 2 hours............I must have needed it........
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    Just cant keep up with you all!

Westcoastscot - I ordered that Cottage Diary book with my Wartime Farm, so glad to hear its worthwhile! Fuddle dont worry, apart from being a mistake, after I registered to order my books TBP sent me the code to use for next purchase so obviously not a State Secret!

I've always found that eating chilli helps with muscle aches, anyone else noticed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure