MSE News: Airlines forced to display debit card fees upfront

Comments

• callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2012 at 1:08AM
    NFH wrote: »
    The only reason for excluding £6 from the fare and adding it later or hiding it on another page is to mislead the customer by attracting them using a cheaper fare, only to add the £6 later. Misleading consumers is an unfair commercial practice. That is why Ryanair must in future display its prices in a more straightforward and honest way.

Do you even bother reading what I write now, or just automatically churn out a random paragraph on why we should pander to the lowest common denominator?

As I said, they could very easily change the "click here for details" line to one that describes the £6 fee (as the rest of their booking pages already do). If you then choose to ignore it, or refuse to read what you're agreeing to, it is purely your own fault. I contest it's hidden as it is (though have always strongly felt that consumers should use some common sense and ingenuity instead of blindly guessing and ignoring key bits of information as they go through the booking process), but if they detail it on the page then it will be completely upfront for customers. You simply don't like the charge so want it banned, I personally don't see that as a valid reason in a democratic, free society.

And though I really shouldn't need to point it out, the £6 fee isn't included in the fare because it is avoidable. Yes, moan all you like about how inconvenient it is to avoid, but that doesn't stop it being feasibly avoidable. (Please don't bring out another of your fictional scenarios where someone is booking a Ryanair flight last minute so can't avoid the fee - that doesn't make a lot of sense in the real world).
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    callum9999 wrote: »
    And though I really shouldn't need to point it out, the £6 fee isn't included in the fare because it is avoidable.
    No, it's not avoidable. How is it avoidable if you haven't got a Ryanair Cash Passport card and can't obtain one in time to make the booking?
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No, it's not avoidable. How is it avoidable if you haven't got a Ryanair Cash Passport card and can't obtain one in time to make the booking?
    Where are these people that book at the very last minute (and pay the very high late prices)?...........they are NOT reading these forums,so any replies about NON avoidable fees are falling on deaf and blind ears/eyes........so they may have to pay the £6 card fee...big deal......they are already paying £40 more than me for booking late.....no more crocodile tears for these unsavvy/cant be bothered to save money complainers.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2012 at 9:53AM

If you have not got a computer when you wan't to make a booking you have to go and buy one of those, nothing to do with the OFT it's just planning ahead for life, personal responsibility.

Now I fancy a glass of single malt, damn I didn't get any I'll have to go to the local shop and pay more than if I'd bought it in a Hypermarket, I should have just planning ahead for life, it's my personal responsibility i'm not going to blame someone else (kick the cat maybe).
  • antenna
    Ryanair are,for the most part are a early booking money saving airline.............what is it about this that some people dont understand?........book late,pay the fees,GET OVER IT
  • antenna
    I think some of these complainers dont even have a passport!....or leave it till the last week to get one and then pay double,and then card fees on top.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    antenna wrote: »
    book late,pay the fees,GET OVER IT
    No, that's an unfair commercial practice, and the kind of attitude O'Leary has. Whilst you may have to pay a higher fare if you book late, you should not have to pay more than the advertised fare.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    callum9999 wrote: »
    We shouldn't have to click it!? And people claim that this isn't "nannying" - threatening legislation because people don't like to click a link on a webpage! And surely the resolution to that could easily be changing the text on the link from "click here for more details" to "a £6 fee per person per sector may be added - click here for details"?

That's right, we shouldn't have to click it. The £13 fare advertised on the front page today should be £19.
    I can't remember that link ever not being there... What makes you think that?
    I don't remember it being there previously, and I have read many times about how changes have been made due to pressure put on Ryanair. The 'nannying' as you call it has resulted in lots of positive changes.
    Why shouldn't they? You do realise this is a free country?
    Well, by that argument you'd scrap the Office of Fair Trading and local Trading Standards departments and let everyone do what they want. There has to be standards and transparency.
  • MarkBargain
    MarkBargain Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    antenna wrote: »
    Where are these people that book at the very last minute (and pay the very high late prices)?...........they are NOT reading these forums,so any replies about NON avoidable fees are falling on deaf and blind ears/eyes........so they may have to pay the £6 card fee...big deal......they are already paying £40 more than me for booking late.....no more crocodile tears for these unsavvy/cant be bothered to save money complainers.

There is a difference between booking early though and having to apply for a prepay cash card which you have to top up with £150 and use every six months to avoid dormancy charges.
  • I have just booked a holiday with very cheap holidays and was hit with a 1% debit card charge without anyone telling me and on there website it states no hidden cost
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure